How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 08-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage

Crossing a lane and changing lanes while in the roundabout are two different maneuvers.

If you are in the inside lane, you must cross the outside lane to exit. Changing lanes while in the roundabout in always a big no-no.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,247 Times in 2,462 Posts

Two Hail Mary's, shut your eyes, put you foot down.
Works for most Villagers!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 PM

The Villages roundabouts are not all created equal. Some feature last-minute elimination of the right lane and/or require unexpected last-minute crossover to access your desired exit. Therefore, my goal for navigating them safely is to personally become as familiar as possible with the areas where these exceptions lie, and to DRIVE DEFENSIVELY and BE VERY PATIENT with other drivers who may never have driven these roads before (and consider the possibility of poor eyesight). Additionally, many in The Villages are from areas where roundabouts are rare or where roundabout etiquette varies (some have been taught to slow for an opening in traffic to enter, and some (like in So. CA) have been taught to accelerate into them as they do when entering freeways). Also, always be wary of drivers who appear to be in the process of exiting and suddenly veer back into the circle.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:59 PM

Yes, you're right. BUT, you should not enter a roundabout if there are any other cars in it that you can see. Otherwise, you could be in the right lane of the main road (like Buena Vista) and wanting to go straight when there is another car in the LEFT lane of the roundabout that wants to take a right onto El Camino. I've seen this time and again. Just don't enter the roundabout until it is clear of all cars that you can see.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
If there had been a collision, the officer would have had something to investigate.
Or the officer has to witness it.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I very rarely have trouble negotiating round about because I understand the rules. But today someone had a problem with me and a gate attendant told me I was wrong. I disagree.

I was in the right hand lane and intended to stay in the right hand lane and take the first exit. As I was about to enter the round about, there was a car in the left hand lane just coming into view. I entered the round about and stayed in my lane. The car in the round about decided to not only take the same exit, which would have been fine, but also decided to switch lanes almost hitting me. He blew his horn as if I was in the wrong. When I got to the gate, the attendant yelled, "you should never enter the round about when there is another car in it". I replied that the other car had changed lanes and almost hit me". She said, "It doesn't matter. The cars in the round about have the right of way."

I fully understand the right of way and had the other car been in the right hand lane or had I intended to go to the second exit, I would have waited for the other car to pass. But in this case, the lane was open and there wouldn't have been a problem if the other person hadn't decided to change lanes into the side of my car.

I believe that I didn't do anything wrong here but I honestly don't know what the law states,

Does anyone know the actual law?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

From: "Sumter County Guide to Navigating Roundabouts" found on The District Web Site.

Navigating Roundabouts

• Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in
traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Sage

You should not enter roundabout until both lanes to left are clear.
The other driver on inside lane should have exited into the visitors lane before crossing to resident lane.
But you should not have entered before he passed anyway.
Two No No's
Old 10-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You should not enter roundabout until both lanes to left are clear.
The other driver on inside lane should have exited into the visitors lane before crossing to resident lane.
But you should not have entered before he passed anyway.
Two No No's
Is that the law or your opinion?

I didn't enter beside the other car so as far as I'm concerned, both lanes were clear. He was just past the third exit so I was in front of him. if I was at six o'clock, he was at about eight o'clock.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

And almost had an accident..... saving what??? 2 seconds??? More important to be safe IMHO.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,849 Times in 5,249 Posts

I have an M1 tank to rent for special occasions on roundabouts.

PM me for special rates and conditions.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

The law is both lanes clear to the left.
How you interpret it is your risk and option.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The law is both lanes clear to the left.
How you interpret it is your risk and option.
Can you cite or post a link to that law?

I've heard people say that they never enter a round about if there is another car in it. This is basically what the gate attendant said to me and I find this idea to be totally absurd.

How far to the left is considered clear? On some round abouts you can see all the way across. If you're a six o'clock and a car enters at twelve o'clock are you supposed to wait until they have passed? As far as I'm concerned, when a car is at nine o"clock and I'm at six o'clock, the lane is clear. If we were on a straight road, I'd be able to move into that lane.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,262 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

I've heard people say that they never enter a round about if there is another car in it. This is basically what the gate attendant said to me and I find this idea to be totally absurd.

How far to the left is considered clear? On some round abouts you can see all the way across. If you're a six o'clock and a car enters at twelve o'clock are you supposed to wait until they have passed? As far as I'm concerned, when a car is at nine o"clock and I'm at six o'clock, the lane is clear. If we were on a straight road, I'd be able to move into that lane.
The moderator was kind enough to start this thread and supply a guide from Sumter County Board Of Commissioners.

Navigating Roundabouts
• Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in
traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit

It also explicitly states do not change lanes in a roundabout. Given those two statements the means the car that was in the roundabout and in the left lane has the right to make a right hand turn in front of you from the left lane since you were to yield to that person before entry and not overtake that person while the person in the left lane was to not switch out of the left lane once in the roundabout.

The misunderstanding of "you can not make a right turn from the left lane" is the number one cause of accidents in roundabouts.

Another TOTV thread starts with good intentions supported with visual aides goes astray due to posters not reading the original post. Then the old tell a secret and pass it down the line game starts and original intent gets lost.

With respect did you read the guide and are saying it is wrong ?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

The term yield enters the equation. When you can safely pull out and not block inside lane vehicle from exiting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.