How to Navigate Roundabouts

How to Navigate Roundabouts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Roundabout Navigation
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Roundabout Navigation

The .pdf brochure covers almost all of the "etiquette" of the traffic circles except for one point that needs a lot more emphasis: USE YOUR SIGNALS !!!!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
The .pdf brochure covers almost all of the "etiquette" of the traffic circles except for one point that needs a lot more emphasis: USE YOUR SIGNALS !!!!
Signals? Signals? This is The Villages.
We don't have none of those new fangled things here!
Some people! You will be wanting us to get in the correct lane next!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage

I agree signals are a good thing.

But I think they are far less important than simply driving the roundabouts properly in all other respects...yield to both lanes before entering, use proper lane for your movement, never drive beside another vehicle.

If you do these things, you will have no conflicts anyway so signals are just a further caution.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Little humor: I mentioned to my neighbor that I assume nobody knows what they are doing in the round a bouts, including myself. He commented, no problem , I just take up both lanes.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM

smart!
please signal roundabout
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Default please signal roundabout

Villagers please, please signaling if you are leaving the roundabout! It helps everybody to let flow the traffic and everybody knows what you are planning to do.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM

It would help if everyone would just follow one simple rule, NEVER change lanes in a roundabout, yes, even when you are thinking it will help you line up better to the resident gate. NEVER do this. NEVER
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
It would help if everyone would just follow one simple rule, NEVER change lanes in a roundabout, yes, even when you are thinking it will help you line up better to the resident gate. NEVER do this. NEVER
This is illogical. If it's a two-lane circle with arms coming and exiting off in all 4 directions, then the only way you can get from the inside lane to any of the arms is to cross into the outside lane.

That means - quite literally - changing lanes. Even if it's for just a split second, you are, by definition, changing lanes the moment you move from your inner lane onto one of the exit arms.

Going south to north on an inside lane. You're going just fine. But then someone who is coming in from the east, and heading west, on the OUTside lane..which he has the right to do - will be already in his own lane when you are trying to cross that lane onto the northern exit.

Regardless of "who has the right of way" this makes for awkward driving. In addition, it requires that the person on the inside lane - change lanes - in order to get out of the circle.

If you didn't change lanes you would just continue around the circle and never leave it. You're also crossing the outside lane while in the process of entering the circle, to get into the inside lane.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This is illogical. If it's a two-lane circle with arms coming and exiting off in all 4 directions, then the only way you can get from the inside lane to any of the arms is to cross into the outside lane.

That means - quite literally - changing lanes. Even if it's for just a split second, you are, by definition, changing lanes the moment you move from your inner lane onto one of the exit arms.

Going south to north on an inside lane. You're going just fine. But then someone who is coming in from the east, and heading west, on the OUTside lane..which he has the right to do - will be already in his own lane when you are trying to cross that lane onto the northern exit.

Regardless of "who has the right of way" this makes for awkward driving. In addition, it requires that the person on the inside lane - change lanes - in order to get out of the circle.

If you didn't change lanes you would just continue around the circle and never leave it. You're also crossing the outside lane while in the process of entering the circle, to get into the inside lane.
"Changing lanes" in the context of navigating a roundabout does not mean what you think it means.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage

Patience is a virtue.

Patience is a virtue.

Patience is a virtue.