How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 04-30-2023, 07:46 AM

Another tip: If you're going around beside another car, either go ahead of them (so you're more in their line of vision) or fall behind because you never know if they will make a wrong move like merging into your space. If you're behind at least you can see them and anticipate. I usually do this on normal roads too because drivers may suddenly move into their blind spots. Avoiding accidents can be an acquired skill.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
It should be noted that when in a roundabout, if you are crossing a line, solid or broken,
You should not be crossing a solid line.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:52 PM
Default Roundabout Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think there had to be some benefit. Many motorist actually read road signs.
What would you suggest in place of the signs?
The little green signs are posted so close to the roundabout that a driver cannot read the street names and decide impromptu which lane in a few seconds, all the while driving abd watching the other traffic. Roundabouts are easy for those who know the area and frequently travel the same route. Drivers unfamiliar, including many snowbirds, need to practice roundabout rules according to the previous posted diagrams, and not cut over because they didn't know which exit they needed. By posting an additional little green sign further back would give drivers more than just a few seconds to read and decide which exit they need. Again, it's almost always those unfamiliar with where they are going.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Now there are two round-a-bout threats open.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I think we should drive clockwise every other month so my left tires get the same wear as my right tires.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I think we should drive clockwise every other month so my left tires get the same wear as my right tires.

But don’t you go right, to go left?
Old 10-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

You wouldn't be the first to try it
Old 10-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
But don’t you go right, to go left?
Safety first............my slight right into the circle is at a very low speed.

I don't get up to 45 mph until I'm 1/3 around the circle.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTVTV View Post
The little green signs are posted so close to the roundabout that a driver cannot read the street names and decide impromptu which lane in a few seconds, all the while driving abd watching the other traffic. Roundabouts are easy for those who know the area and frequently travel the same route. Drivers unfamiliar, including many snowbirds, need to practice roundabout rules according to the previous posted diagrams, and not cut over because they didn't know which exit they needed. By posting an additional little green sign further back would give drivers more than just a few seconds to read and decide which exit they need. Again, it's almost always those unfamiliar with where they are going.
I agree. Additional signs need to be posted further down from the roundabout. This will provide plenty of time to make a lane switch, if necessary. Newcomers are not expecting a road like Morse to curve. They believe it is always straight thru and stay in the right lane.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I agree. Additional signs need to be posted further down from the roundabout. This will provide plenty of time to make a lane switch, if necessary. Newcomers are not expecting a road like Morse to curve. They believe it is always straight thru and stay in the right lane.
Where does Morse curve such that staying in the right lane doesn't keep you on Morse? I can't think of a spot from 44 to 466, it doesn't appear to have any circles north of 466, and the the right lane through the Warm Springs circle still keeps you on Morse according to the signs.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-20-2023, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I very rarely have trouble negotiating round about because I understand the rules. But today someone had a problem with me and a gate attendant told me I was wrong. I disagree.

I was in the right hand lane and intended to stay in the right hand lane and take the first exit. As I was about to enter the round about, there was a car in the left hand lane just coming into view. I entered the round about and stayed in my lane. The car in the round about decided to not only take the same exit, which would have been fine, but also decided to switch lanes almost hitting me. He blew his horn as if I was in the wrong. When I got to the gate, the attendant yelled, "you should never enter the round about when there is another car in it". I replied that the other car had changed lanes and almost hit me". She said, "It doesn't matter. The cars in the round about have the right of way."

I fully understand the right of way and had the other car been in the right hand lane or had I intended to go to the second exit, I would have waited for the other car to pass. But in this case, the lane was open and there wouldn't have been a problem if the other person hadn't decided to change lanes into the side of my car.

I believe that I didn't do anything wrong here but I honestly don't know what the law states,

Does anyone know the actual law?
You should have been able to make your right turn without expecting to get hit or nearly hit. You are correct.

However, You forgot that rule we have all heard about before...Never Assume. You know what happens when you do that.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I very rarely have trouble negotiating round about because I understand the rules. But today someone had a problem with me and a gate attendant told me I was wrong. I disagree.

I was in the right hand lane and intended to stay in the right hand lane and take the first exit. As I was about to enter the round about, there was a car in the left hand lane just coming into view. I entered the round about and stayed in my lane. The car in the round about decided to not only take the same exit, which would have been fine, but also decided to switch lanes almost hitting me. He blew his horn as if I was in the wrong. When I got to the gate, the attendant yelled, "you should never enter the round about when there is another car in it". I replied that the other car had changed lanes and almost hit me". She said, "It doesn't matter. The cars in the round about have the right of way."

I fully understand the right of way and had the other car been in the right hand lane or had I intended to go to the second exit, I would have waited for the other car to pass. But in this case, the lane was open and there wouldn't have been a problem if the other person hadn't decided to change lanes into the side of my car.

I believe that I didn't do anything wrong here but I honestly don't know what the law states,

Does anyone know the actual law?
Yes, and you did something wrong and the gate attendant was right. The law states you must WAIT and FULLY YIELD to any vehicle in EITHER lane of the RB. If you note, at most exits the solid white line between lanes in the RB becomes dashed . This is so someone who has legally entered in the inner lane and going to the 2nd or 3rd exit can get to the resident entry. It has nothing to do with the outer lane that you intended to use being clear, both lanes must be clear, and had there been an accident, you would have been cited. Sorry.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
You should have been able to make your right turn without expecting to get hit or nearly hit. You are correct.

However, You forgot that rule we have all heard about before...Never Assume. You know what happens when you do that.
And as explained in post 207, you are wrong.

Excerpts from the Sumter County BOCC brochure that we all got when we moved here:

Approaching Roundabouts • Reduce your speed and prepare to YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout. • Guide signs provide guidance for approach street locations, not lane use orientation

Navigating Roundabouts • Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.

Last edited by golfing eagles; 10-20-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Where does Morse curve such that staying in the right lane doesn't keep you on Morse? I can't think of a spot from 44 to 466, it doesn't appear to have any circles north of 466, and the the right lane through the Warm Springs circle still keeps you on Morse according to the signs.
Lake Sumter
Old 10-20-2023, 04:32 PM
Gold member

I'm surprised this thread is 8 years old and is only 15 pages long.
Everyone must be mastering the roundabouts...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.