How to Navigate Roundabouts

How to Navigate Roundabouts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I assume you late posters to this thread (Feb '19) read the previous 132 posts, to be sure of your position………
Hard to resist a roundabout thread, Bogie. What goes around comes around.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I honest and truly do not get why this is so hard. It's just a traffic light replacement. If in doubt look at the green signs before every circle to see how the traffic flow should go. They all have them. Yield always to traffic in the circle.

A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works. And we will all be safe.
I hate it when you confuse people with logic.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I assume you late posters to this thread (Feb '19) read the previous 132 posts, to be sure of your position………
Yes, I have read the entire thread. I was aware this was an old thread and I'm surprised it wasn't CLOSED by now.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:02 PM

I repeat, one simple request, you are to never change lanes in a roundabout. Every day, people in the inside lane move to the outside lane as they are getting ready to exit, I guess because often the resident lane for the gates is on the right? NEVER change lanes in a roundabout
Old 06-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I repeat, one simple request, you are to never change lanes in a roundabout. Every day, people in the inside lane move to the outside lane as they are getting ready to exit, I guess because often the resident lane for the gates is on the right? NEVER change lanes in a roundabout
In order to exit, you have to cross the outermost lane. That lane continues around the circle and the only way out of the circle is to turn RIGHT. Turning right, in order to get to the exit, no matter which gate you go through (and even if there is no gate on the other side), requires that your vehicle turns onto the outermost lane on your way out of the circle.

This is simple science and math. It's basic geometry. It is also why people get annoyed when someone says "don't ever move to the outermost lane." You have to, or you'd continue going around in circles forever. That is the nature of a circle.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
In order to exit, you have to cross the outermost lane. That lane continues around the circle and the only way out of the circle is to turn RIGHT. Turning right, in order to get to the exit, no matter which gate you go through (and even if there is no gate on the other side), requires that your vehicle turns onto the outermost lane on your way out of the circle.

This is simple science and math. It's basic geometry. It is also why people get annoyed when someone says "don't ever move to the outermost lane." You have to, or you'd continue going around in circles forever. That is the nature of a circle.
Thank you. I have this discussion with my husband frequently. Exiting into the visitor's gate does not mean you aren't changing lanes. The point is to look all around you before exiting.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

You are mis-understanding the post that you were replying to. Many drivers will move from the inside lane to the ouside lane BEFORE reaching the exit lanes. They do this because they feel that they must line up to the exit lane leading to the 'resident' gate. It is truly a lane change and not crossing the lane. They are in the inside lane and end up taking the right hand exit. Not good, but all to common.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
You are mis-understanding the post that you were replying to. Many drivers will move from the inside lane to the ouside lane BEFORE reaching the exit lanes. They do this because they feel that they must line up to the exit lane leading to the 'resident' gate. It is truly a lane change and not crossing the lane. They are in the inside lane and end up taking the right hand exit. Not good, but all to common.
There is no left exit out of a counter-clockwise-moving traffic circle. There is only one right exit, with either one or two lanes out. All exits out of counter-clockwise-moving traffic circles are right exits. Again - simple geometry, the nature of a circle.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Thank you, exactly right! There should be no lane changes while still in the roundabout, ever.