How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 10-20-2023, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,832 Times in 4,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Lake Sumter
Wrong again. From the right lane headed north, you can take the bypass or enter the RB. Headed south, both lanes enter the RB. Based on these posts, please stay far away from me in a RB. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And as explained in post 207, you are wrong.

Excerpts from the Sumter County BOCC brochure that we all got when we moved here:

Approaching Roundabouts • Reduce your speed and prepare to YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout. • Guide signs provide guidance for approach street locations, not lane use orientation

Navigating Roundabouts • Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.
In this particular scenario, I am not wrong. The driver wanting to make a right turn saw another vehicle approaching in the opposite lane. The driver coming at her made a sudden lane change after exiting. That driver should have waited for the lane to be clear because he was no longer in the roundabout.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
In this particular scenario, I am not wrong. The driver wanting to make a right turn saw another vehicle approaching in the opposite lane. The driver coming at her made a sudden lane change after exiting. That driver should have waited for the lane to be clear because he was no longer in the roundabout.
Sorry, but the person ENTERING the RB is the person who has to yield---to both lanes.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wrong again. From the right lane headed north, you can take the bypass or enter the RB. Headed south, both lanes enter the RB. Based on these posts, please stay far away from me in a RB. Thank you.
Nope! I do not travel that area often but there is one place where morse curves. I missed it but followed the rules of the RAB. Exited correctly, then turned around correctly. Then entered the RAB ,a second time, and excited correctly. I would not endanger any vehicles by switching lanes due to my mistake. I took the extra time to get off, turn around, and reenter. If you are unfamiliar with an area, mistakes happen. But, you need to follow traffic rules.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Nope! I do not travel that area often but there is one place where morse curves. I missed it but followed the rules of the RAB. Exited correctly, then turned around correctly. Then entered the RAB ,a second time, and excited correctly. I would not endanger any vehicles by switching lanes due to my mistake. I took the extra time to get off, turn around, and reenter. If you are unfamiliar with an area, mistakes happen. But, you need to follow traffic rules.
I'm trying to work with you here, but I can't figure this post out.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sorry, but the person ENTERING the RB is the person who has to yield---to both lanes.
Not when you are OUT of the roundabout. If you are at a red light and want to make a right turn, you check to see if the lane is clear. This is what the driver did. Then proceeded.

In this scenario, the car exiting made a sudden lane change probably wanting to line up with the resident gate and cut the driver off. When he changed lanes, he should have made certain it was clear. Again, they were OUTSIDE of the roundabout.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm trying to work with you here, but I can't figure this post out.
I am just stating there MOST DEFINITELY is a place near Sumter going to 466 where Morse curves to the left.

You assumed I broke the traffic rules. I did not! I was in the right lane and went straight thru as that was my only option.

Then, I turned around, headed back to the RAB and excited correctly.

Some people would have switched lanes in the RAB when they made a mistake. I did not!
Old 10-20-2023, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not when you are OUT of the roundabout. If you are at a red light and want to make a right turn, you check to see if the lane is clear. This is what the driver did. Then proceeded.

In this scenario, the car exiting made a sudden lane change probably wanting to line up with the resident gate and cut the driver off. When he changed lanes, he should have made certain it was clear. Again, they were OUTSIDE of the roundabout.
Exactly. When you are "out" of the RB, you MUST YIELD to any vehicle inside the RB. Roundabout navigation 101. The rule is that way to exactly prevent what Winnie described.

The brochure from Sumter county is post 1 of this thread
Old 10-20-2023, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Exactly. When you are "out" of the RB, you MUST YIELD to any vehicle inside the RB. Roundabout navigation 101. The rule is that way to exactly prevent what Winnie described.

The brochure from Sumter county is post 1 of this thread
A vehicle should be able to make a right hand turn after checking to see if the lane is clear. This is the reason you are allowed to make a right turn on a red light.

Same with a roundabout. If you are making a right turn and your lane is clear, you can go. The driver should not expect another vehicle in the opposite lane to suddenly cross over and cutting you off.

In this scenario, the person making the right turn did it correctly. Checked to see if the lane was clear then proceeded. It was the other car who suddenly jumped lanes instead of yielding to the car that was now in front of him that was wrong.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
A vehicle should be able to make a right hand turn after checking to see if the lane is clear. This is the reason you are allowed to make a right turn on a red light.

Same with a roundabout. If you are making a right turn and your lane is clear, you can go. The driver should not expect another vehicle in the opposite lane to suddenly cross over and cutting you off.

In this scenario, the person making the right turn did it correctly. Checked to see if the lane was clear then proceeded. It was the other car who suddenly jumped lanes instead of yielding to the car that was now in front of him that was wrong.
You might think it’s the same, but it is not
Old 10-20-2023, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You might think it is different, but it is not. An intersection is an intersection. A vehicle should be able to make a right turn after checking to see if the lane is clear. Florida law allows a right hand turn when the lane is clear.

What the law does not allow is to suddenly change lanes cutting a vehicle off.

Again, yielding only takes a few seconds. Jumping lanes to line yourself up to the resident gate because the visitor gate is too inconvenient for you is not sufficient reason to cut a driver off. The driver who made the right hand turn did so legally. The car behind must now wait or take the visitor gate entrance. Those are the only two options.

Me? I would wait before making the right turn. As many posters have stated, many drivers exit the inner circle then abruptly jump lanes to use the resident gate. I don't get it! It is not difficult to use the visitor gate.

Last edited by Randall55; 10-20-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
You might think it is different, but it is not. An intersection is an intersection. A vehicle should be able to make a right turn after checking to see if the lane is clear. Florida law allows a right hand turn when the lane is clear.

Again, yielding only takes a few seconds. Jumping lanes to line yourself up to the resident gate because the visitor gate is too inconvenient for you is not sufficient reason to cut a driver off. The driver who made the right hand turn did so legally. The car behind must now wait or take the visitor gate entrance. Those are the only two options.

Me? I would wait before making the right turn. As many posters have stated, many drivers exit the inner circle then suddenly jump lanes to use the resident gate. I don't get it! It is not difficult to use the visitor gate.
You guys should start your own thread, no , no wait that would mean three roundabout threads. Lordy, Lordy another 185+ posts.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,216 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:

Me? I would wait before making the right turn. As many posters have stated, many drivers exit the inner circle then abruptly jump lanes to use the resident gate. I don't get it! It is not difficult to use the visitor gate.
Are you suggesting you would make a right on red onto a four lane road with a car approaching in the fast lane? That's some risky business! There is nothing keeping the other vehicle from changing lanes and making your right on red less than successful.

But that's besides the point. While the circle works similar to a 4-way intersection, it is not. The intersecting roads have yield signs, not stop signs or stop lights. Traffic is free to enter the RB without stopping but that traffic MUST YIELD to ALL traffic already in the RB. Don't like it? Don't agree with it? Doesn't change how a RB works.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-20-2023, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You guys should start your own thread, no , no wait that would mean three roundabout threads. Lordy, Lordy another 185+ posts.
We do not need to start another thread. A driver's responsibility when entering a RAB is to make certain it is clear before proceeding. It is obvious when it is clear to make a right hand turn, you can go. You should not expect ANYONE to cut you off AFTER YOU HAVE EXITED THE ROUNDABOUT. Any driver behind you on the side street must wait until it is safe to pass you. COMMON SENSE.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,216 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I am just stating there MOST DEFINITELY is a place near Sumter going to 466 where Morse curves to the left.

You assumed I broke the traffic rules. I did not! I was in the right lane and went straight thru as that was my only option.

Then, I turned around, headed back to the RAB and excited correctly.

Some people would have switched lanes in the RAB when they made a mistake. I did not!
There are many curves on Morse and there are many RBs on Morse. But, there is no RB where entering in the right lane does not result in staying on Morse.

Proving your case is easy, just post the name of the cross street or a picture of the green sign that shows going straight does not stay on Morse.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.