How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Slater View Post
I think it is called "lane discipline" stick to your lane and you will be fine. Here in the UK we have "orbital" roundabouts where you get one main roundabout with six to eight small roundabouts around it. Each small roundabout has two or three lanes on and off. They really are fun !

The reason you won the Battle of Britain.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

When using the roundabouts, I go by a simple philosophy.

"Everyone is trying to run into me."

I then act accordingly.

'Defensive driving' is wholly inadequate to explain how I approach these free-for-all zones.

'Paranoid defense driving' is much more accurate.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
Officer Wills might need a refresher course on FL license plates..... The Police have no interest in most things unless there is physical contact or injuries. They don't see non-enforcement as part of the problem.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

We have only been here a few weeks so we are figuring out how to deal with the roundabouts. We are in Osceola Hills, so to drive north on Morse or Buena Vista we go through a lot of roundabouts. I have decided to do it like this.

If I plan to go straight through the next roundabout, I drive at 35 mph in the left lane. When I reach the roundabout, I get in the inside lane, go past the first turn that goes to the right, and then take the next exit to continue on Morse or Buena Vista.

At first I was always staying in the right lane to go around the roundabout, but since I drive slowly, I was afraid of someone on my left cutting me off. Being in the left lane, I now don't have to worry about that.

Of course, if I plan to turn right at the next roundabout, I drive in the right lane before the roundabout and then just turn right. I guess everyone does it this way.

Last edited by VApeople; 06-11-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
bikeman: I have another opinion as to why the sheriff refused your
request. He was faced with a "he says she says" scenario what did you expect the sheriff to do?

There has been more than sufficient discussion about round a bouts here in The Villages so your group should be aware of the dangers.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
...I have another opinion as to why the sheriff refused your request. He was faced with a "he says she says" scenario what did you expect the sheriff to do?...
Agree.

Imagine if you could simply call a LEO and sic that officer onto somebody at your whim with no physical evidence.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Agree.

Imagine if you could simply call a LEO and sic that officer onto somebody at your whim with no physical evidence.
Not to even mention, going through the effort to post a photo of someone's license plate/vehicle and asking others to identify them (without any proof of what really happened) smacks of being pretty creepy and potentially a libel case for the auto driver.

And if they did/do find out who this person was/is, especially after already calling law enforcement who took no action, exactly what is the intent of the biker group once they have the info?

Pretty weird and creepy in my book.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 PM

Before you enter every circle there is a sign showing you which lanes you should use depending on which lane you enter the circle. If you enter in the right lane you can turn right or go straight through. If you enter in the left lane you can go straight or turn left. A number of times I've almost been in an accident because someone in the right lane enters the circle and turns left. Watch the eastbound cars on Stillwater entering the circle at Morse. 80% of them end up turning left even though a car in the left lane had the right to go straight. Putting up those green signs before the traffic circles was a waste of time and money.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
Before you enter every circle there is a sign showing you which lanes you should use depending on which lane you enter the circle. If you enter in the right lane you can turn right or go straight through. If you enter in the left lane you can go straight or turn left. A number of times I've almost been in an accident because someone in the right lane enters the circle and turns left. Watch the eastbound cars on Stillwater entering the circle at Morse. 80% of them end up turning left even though a car in the left lane had the right to go straight. Putting up those green signs before the traffic circles was a waste of time and money.
Also when westbound on Stillwater and you approach Buena Vista there are two lanes. The right lane is right turn only since there is no straight street exit. That right turn will take you north on Buena Vista. The left lane is for the traffic circle and will lead you to BV southbound. I've seen almost everytime a car in the right lane not make the right turn, but will enter the traffic circle sometimes driving parallel to the car in the left lane.

Right lane Stillwater at Buena Vista add this painted arrow to road surface.

The Villages Florida

Left lane at Stillwater arrow indicated straight traffic headed into the traffic circle.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
I think there had to be some benefit. Many motorist actually read road signs.
What would you suggest in place of the signs?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Sage

When entering a roundabout, I always assume the person on my right, might go three quarters around to make their turn and then drive accordingly.

By keeping far enough behind the person on my right, has saved me from getting into an accident. I slipped up once and the person on my right, was forced to go to the next roundabout, as they realized they had made a mistake.

Florida is a state where even if your not at fault, your insurance will go up.

It pays not to be in a rush and to drive defensively.

I should follow my own advice.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
When entering a roundabout, I always assume the person on my right, might go three quarters around to make their turn and then drive accordingly.
Yes, that is exactly what I will to do when driving in the inside lane of a roundabout. If a person in the outside lane is in front of me, I will not assume they are going to turn right.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I will to do when driving in the inside lane of a roundabout. If a person in the outside lane is in front of me, I will not assume they are going to turn right.
Exactly.

And that is the reason I have gotten in the habit of using my turn signal (right hand) when on the inside lane and plan on exiting in the left lane, on the other side of the roundabout.

I don't trust that outside lane driver is going to turn right and in fact, the dotted line separating the lanes in the roundabout in a lot of areas allows them to go straight (continue around the circle) legally.

However, if they go straight and I'm turning...things could turn out badly.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM

It's so simple! Just watch the lines on the road. You never cross a solid white line, you only cross a dotted line when it is clear. If "they" would just post signs to that effect, then maybe not so many accidents.
However, I also do not trust the other drivers and drive defensively watching for those who won't/don't pay attention to the lanes and lines.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,629 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
And you should not make that assumption.

As we all know, someone entering in the right lane who intends to take the second exit will correctly pass the first exit. To me, that is really no different than someone incorrectly passing two exits.

Keep a close eye on all other cars, and use turn signals.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.