How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
It's so simple! Just watch the lines on the road. You never cross a solid white line, you only cross a dotted line when it is clear. If "they" would just post signs to that effect, then maybe not so many accidents.
However, I also do not trust the other drivers and drive defensively watching for those who won't/don't pay attention to the lanes and lines.
Ah, but the lines are part of the problem. Look at this picture of the Morse/Stillwater RAB. If you follow the broken lines, there is no reason why a driver in the outside lane cannot go 3/4 of the way around. There is also no reason someone can't enter in the outside lane, transition to the inside lane in the RAB, and exit in the outside lane. The lines are broken. It's much better to pay attention to the signs before the RAB that designate how you must proceed depending on which lane you are in entering the RAB.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	RAB.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	60279  
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 PM

I was told some time ago that the vehicle in the inside lane ( Left) has the right away at all times in a round a bout.

Is this true ?

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
I was told some time ago that the vehicle in the inside lane ( Left) has the right away at all times in a round a bout.

Is this true ?
I don't think you should be concerned with who has the right of way. You should be concerned with surviving.

If you are in the right lane and there is a car slightly ahead of you in the left lane, be aware that he might cut you off.

If you are in the inside lane and there is a car slightly ahead of you in the right lane, be aware that he might cut you off.

If two vehicles are driving side-by-side, the bigger vehicle has the right of way, in my opinion. If the two vehicles are the same size, the older beat-up one has the right of way, if the guy in the newer vehicle has any sense.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I don't think you should be concerned with who has the right of way. You should be concerned with surviving.

If you are in the right lane and there is a car slightly ahead of you in the left lane, be aware that he might cut you off.

If you are in the inside lane and there is a car slightly ahead of you in the right lane, be aware that he might cut you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If two vehicles are driving side-by-side, the bigger vehicle has the right of way, in my opinion. If the two vehicles are the same size, the older beat-up one has the right of way, if the guy in the newer vehicle has any sense.

"Right-of-way by size"
and "right-of-way by value."

Not bad rules to go by.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Also when westbound on Stillwater and you approach Buena Vista there are two lanes. The right lane is right turn only since there is no straight street exit. That right turn will take you north on Buena Vista. The left lane is for the traffic circle and will lead you to BV southbound. I've seen almost everytime a car in the right lane not make the right turn, but will enter the traffic circle sometimes driving parallel to the car in the left lane.

Right lane Stillwater at Buena Vista add this painted arrow to road surface.

The Villages Florida

Left lane at Stillwater arrow indicated straight traffic headed into the traffic circle.

The Villages Florida
Perhaps things have changed since you were last there. The signs clearly indicate that those entering the circle in the right lane can turn left. The reason is simple there is not way a car entering the circle can go straight through. The arrows also do not prohibit someone in the right lane from turning left at that circle.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

///

Last edited by John_W; 02-01-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:45 AM

Use your turn signal when you going to exit! It's that little stick on the side of the steering wheel that goes up and down. I've driven from Santo Domingo to Route 44 and have seen one other driver use a turn signal to indicate that are going to exit.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:03 AM

If you look at the roundabout brochure, it specifically states that you should “Never change lanes in a roundabout”. This means that if you are going 3/4 around, you should enter a gate in the visitors lane. The statement is written in red on the brochure. If you follow the lines that show a left hand turn, (3/4 around), you’ll see the line going into the visitors’ gate.

Last edited by kappy; 12-24-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 AM

I always stagger vehicles and assume that when I exit right from the center lane that an outside lane vehicle may continue in the rotary even though I have the right a way. On the lighter side. I always assume nobody knows what they are doing....including myself. My neighbor chimes in with he just takes up both lanes.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
If you look at the roundabout brochure, it specifically states that you should “Never change lanes in a roundabout”. This means that if you are going 3/4 around, you should enter a gate in the visitors lane. The statement is written in red on the brochure.
When traveling south on Buena Vista to enter Hillsborough Trail, you are allowed to be on the left/ inner lane to then switch to the outer lane while in the roundabout to then enter the residents gate. A Sumter County engineer who was asked if this is legal says it’s ok to switch in the roundabout if markings allow it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Change lanes.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	73208  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 12-20-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We go round-a-bout on this issue every year.

I still say, you cannot be in the left lane and get to either of the entrances without crossing over the right lane. I think the statement means not to change lanes while driving inside of the roundabout. Once you're in whatever lane you entered in, stay there till you exit. Obviously, you have to cross over the outside lane from the inside lane in order to exit the roundabout. Both visitor's and residents' gates are on the right.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We go round-a-bout on this issue every year.

I still say, you cannot be in the left lane and get to either of the entrances without crossing over the right lane. I think the statement means not to change lanes while driving inside of the roundabout. Once you're in whatever lane you entered in, stay there till you exit. Obviously, you have to cross over the outside lane from the inside lane in order to exit the roundabout. Both visitor's and residents' gates are on the right.
What CF said.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
Cop told you plates are all six characters? Know-nothing condescending jerk.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Cop told you plates are all six characters? Know-nothing condescending jerk.
Or lazy and doesn't want to spend time pursuing it
Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Sage

The cop on the phone may have been a jerk. But I'm not sure going after sonebody based on a single phone call when there was no accident is a good idea. Got a bone to pick with somebody? Call the police and give 'em his/her license plate number. That'll get 'em!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.