How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
... That is one of the reasons that residents can enter the visitors gate with their gate card.
I never noticed! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM

The best over all thing drivers should do is signal when they are going to exit a round-a-bout. Also switching lanes as you exit is a no no ..
Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
The best over all thing drivers should do is signal when they are going to exit a round-a-bout. Also switching lanes as you exit is a no no ..
But... but... If switching lanes is a no-no, they should take down the Residents & Visitors signs. There are no markings on the street saying you can't switch lanes to exit. Everybody turning left from inside lane should then go to the visitors lane? You're still driving over the outside lane to get to the visitors entrance.

Today we had some under 55-year-old jackwagon in a white mercedes convertible pass us on the right in the roundabout, swerve in front of us into our inside lane, then move back to the right to exit. He saw an opening in the visitors lane, swerved again (already had pulled into the residents exit) into the visitors exit just to get ahead of one darn car.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
pa
But... but... If switching lanes is a no-no, they should take down the Residents & Visitors signs. There are no markings on the street saying you can't switch lanes to exit. Everybody turning left from inside lane should then go to the visitors lane? You're still driving over the outside lane to get to the visitors entrance.

Today we had some under 55-year-old jackwagon in a white mercedes convertible pass us on the right in the roundabout, swerve in front of us into our inside lane, then move back to the right to exit. He saw an opening in the visitors lane, swerved again (already had pulled into the residents exit) into the visitors exit just to get ahead of one darn car.

Be careful out there !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
pa

Jackwagon, well I do declare there little lady sounds like that driver was as sharp as a bowling ball. Foghorn Leghorn over & out!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Default "Yielding" vs "Having" the right of way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
I was told some time ago that the vehicle in the inside lane ( Left) has the right away at all times in a round a bout.

Is this true ?
No vehicle ever HAS the right of way. Statutes are written so that one vehicle must YIELD the right of way to another but NEVER grants the right of way to ANY vehicle. It's an important distinction that will hopefully shape the way a driver thinks. Here's a quote from DMV.ORG:

"The law does not give anyone the right of way on the road. Instead, it states who is required to yield the right of way in certain instances. It is also the responsibility of the driver to do everything possible to be safe and avoid a collision."

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
pa

Yes. Check the pamphlet. More accurately, you must exit the roundabout into the lane going to the visitors gate. Once out of the roundabout, then you can change lanes. The trouble is that drivers change from the inner to the outer while still in the roundabout, and then take the exit.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Yes. Check the pamphlet. More accurately, you must exit the roundabout into the lane going to the visitors gate. Once out of the roundabout, then you can change lanes. The trouble is that drivers change from the inner to the outer while still in the roundabout, and then take the exit.
I do it all the time at my exit as it is legal and marked to do so at Hillsborough!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine -do not like2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	73671  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I do it all the time at my exit as it is legal and marked to do so at Hillsborough!
You didn't read the brochure..... did you?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You didn't read the brochure..... did you?
If markings allow the change of lanes, it is permitted! I discussed this at a Welcome Wednesday day last year to present my opinion that these markings are confusing. Nevertheless, it is legal at this exit to change lanes by following my red markings to arrive at the right gate. Note that the outside/right lane must continue through and not turn left into Hillsborough. Most people do not do it correctly.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-22-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
If markings allow the change of lanes, it is permitted! I discussed this at a Welcome Wednesday day last year to present my opinion that these markings are confusing. Nevertheless, it is legal at this exit to change lanes by following my red markings to arrive at the right gate. Note that the outside/right lane must continue through and not turn left into Hillsborough. Most people do not do it correctly.
Including you! Please read the Sumter County pamphlet linked on the very first post. In the section that instructs how to make a left hand turn, "3. When you have passed the last exit before the one you want, use your right-turn signal and continue to use it through your exit. Do not change lanes."

Just because the line is broken, DOES NOT mean that you can change lanes within the roudabout.

Edited to add:

I agree with some of the other posters, the gate that says "Visitors" should say "Visitors AND Residents" I think that is why so many people change lanes within the roundabout.

Last edited by Lindaketchup; 01-22-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaketchup View Post
Including you! Please read the Sumter County pamphlet linked on the very first post. In the section that instructs how to make a left hand turn, "3. When you have passed the last exit before the one you want, use your right-turn signal and continue to use it through your exit. Do not change lanes."

Just because the line is broken, DOES NOT mean that you can change lanes within the roudabout.

Edited to add:

I agree with some of the other posters, the gate that says "Visitors" should say "Visitors AND Residents" I think that is why so many people change lanes within the roundabout.
Sorry, you are wrong. There is no broken line or any line so that you can merge into the outer/right lane while making the turn in this roundabout. How else can you be in the clearly marked right lane? Now, the right or outer lane does have a solid white mark to not allow a left turn from that lane. The rule about changing lanes is not hard and fast as it was explained to me at a Welcome Wednesday meeting. Does this lead to some confusion, I believe it does. Sumter County will not change the markings.

Please look at the markings in this roundabout!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine -do not like2.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	73686   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine -do not like.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	73687  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-22-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Oh God.....here we go again.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Oh God.....here we go again.

AaYup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

You know how to navigate a 2 lane roundabout, the same way you navigate a 2 lane 4-way stop. Turning right you use the right lane. Going straight you use either the right or left lane. Making a left turn you use the left lane (inside lane). Going around the outside lane very slowly does not make you safe, it makes you a candidate for a T-Bone by the driver in the inside lane leaving at the second exit. You know, this stuff is all on the signs just before each roundabout. Look at the sign and you see two lines, they will show you what the right lane can do and what the left can do.

Just make believe the lanes are straight and not curved.

The Villages Florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.