How safe are the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2020, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

The biggest issue you'll have is drunken golf cart drivers and obnoxious drunks at the bars since the "bar" on liquor liability laws are very low. also. most crimes are petty and from the "help"
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
The biggest issue you'll have is drunken golf cart drivers and obnoxious drunks at the bars since the "bar" on liquor liability laws are very low. also. most crimes are petty and from the "help"
Drunks or drunk golfer’s speeding to next tee times?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
Personally, I never trusted the moderating company employees. If you report, they know when you will be gone and for how long. To make extra money, they could contact a person in that area, give them your address and how long you'll be gone.........I know it's a long shot but possible. They risk their employment and criminal involvement.
Most burglaries are inside jobs. Somebody knows you not home.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:07 AM

I used to not even lock my house in the day time. And never locked my car. Now I lock up everything. And yes we do have theft in here. Sumpter is probably the safest place. Not near a highway and not where there are lots of houses around you that are new and not yet sold. And yes there are problems here now. When this Villages had locked gates I felt so safe. I rented before buying and stayed 1 mo a year in all different areas so that I would be sure where I wanted to be when I bought. I could not get into that rental until I pushed that red button that now opens the gate for you. When I pushed it there is a speaker next to it. The speaker would come on and a real person would ask your name where you were going and for what reason. Then they opened the gate. my neighbor had a golf cart taken and one was taken from the pool by truck while the person was swimming. If the gate was locked he couldn't have gotten in.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
As I look to buy something in TV (within a few miles of Sumter Landing), a few places have ADT systems in place. Where I live now, there is little need for such things.
Do people feel safe without security systems, or do you recommend them? I'd think with good, observant neighbors it would be mostly unnecessary.
Thanks.
Skarra, since you’re a junior member eventually you’ll see it’s just about the same as any other subdivision. You’ll hear your fair amount of houses that get broke into, a few fights at some of the downtown bars. But the sheriff dept. does a good job getting trouble makers out of there. TV is a little better than most places. Like some signs you see, “The most Friendly city in America “.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry View Post
I used to not even lock my house in the day time. And never locked my car. Now I lock up everything. And yes we do have theft in here. Sumpter is probably the safest place. Not near a highway and not where there are lots of houses around you that are new and not yet sold. And yes there are problems here now. When this Villages had locked gates I felt so safe. I rented before buying and stayed 1 mo a year in all different areas so that I would be sure where I wanted to be when I bought. I could not get into that rental until I pushed that red button that now opens the gate for you. When I pushed it there is a speaker next to it. The speaker would come on and a real person would ask your name where you were going and for what reason. Then they opened the gate. my neighbor had a golf cart taken and one was taken from the pool by truck while the person was swimming. If the gate was locked he couldn't have gotten in.
I'm confused.

Are you talking about a specific village...or all of the 'fake-gated' ones in general?

And when were the gates "gates locked?"
Old 02-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry View Post
I don't recall ANY Village within the properties known as The Villages, Florida, that ever had that setup. Definitely none that I'm aware of in Sumter County. Also, anyone who legitimately lives in the Villages can easily steal your golf cart, and always could. You never needed a pass to LEAVE, only to come IN.

They can walk over to your house, steal your golf cart, and drive it out where a buyer waits for their delivery. I'm not saying this happens but I am saying your logic is illogical.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Careful be on the lookout for lurking cougars and dog poop and trolls looking for white crosses
Old 02-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Many of the very few issues are done by service people working in and around your house. Ive been here for 22 years and know of few problems
Old 02-05-2020, 06:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

As the sumter county police said at my club meeting...if u have a gun, carry it...WE CAN NOT BE THERE ALL THE TIME
Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
As the sumter county police said at my club meeting...if u have a gun, carry it...WE CAN NOT BE THERE ALL THE TIME

True every where.

Nothing specific to Sumter.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:24 PM

I have always felt in the Lake Sumter area where we live.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:06 AM
Platinum member

We have a security system and had one in each home we lived in ( only 4 homes in 38 years ).

Never installed security cameras outside but that might change.

I do feel very safe here and hope it continues to feel safe.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

After Spectrum pulled out of the alarm system business we had The Villages Alarm Co. install a new system.

They did a great job and our house was spotless when they left.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 AM

I pay only $80 a quarter to Village alarm and they did a great job. I like having an alarm especially when out of town.
Closed Thread

Tags
safe, systems, things, people, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.