How safe are the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2020, 06:56 AM
Default Alarm System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
The inside of the bubble is very safe and a security system is a personal preference. You will find many have them and you will get all kinds of recommendations. Personally, I don't think they are necessary however my wife doesn't agree so yes, we have one
There are several self installed solutions such as Simply Safe, Google or Nest based systems, as well as Ring.com. Many professionals admit that the sign in the front yard is almost as good as an alarm, plus, you need to remember to turn it on. Many of these alternative systems offer discounted monitoring for as little as $12-15 a month instead of the ADT inflated costs of $40+ and a 3 year contract. Crime in The Villages does happen, but rare. Many of these systems will alert you own cellphone and not a security center if you elect to set them up with that configuration. Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:02 AM
We had a system up North and I brought the ADT sign with me and stuck it in the ground in front of our house. No system mind you...just the sign.

The Villages is quite safe over all and we feel no need for a security system. We do travel frequently for anywhere from a week to two months at a time and have never had any issues and we have been here for 10 years.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:01 AM
deestatham

We live in Chatham, great neighborhood, great neighbors. Been here 4 years and do not feel unsafe. Plus our neighbors definitely keep an eye open for each other,
Old 02-04-2020, 08:02 AM

DIY systems with video doorbells are great for many uses beyond a potential break-in. They allow you peace of mind by being able to click on the App to see where that package was stashed, or who is at your door, or when did your spouse come home or leave since he/she is not answering the phone, etc. I wouldn’t live without one now that I have them. They have a myriad of uses. And it is good for crimes which are, by design, unexpected. I also like hearing when a door has been opened rather than being surprised by someone I didn’t know was there.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:04 AM

Where do you think you live? Almost all home theift's in TV are either bad contractors/care givers or adult chrildren who come home to rest.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland04 View Post
Where do you think you live? Almost all home theift's in TV are either bad contractors/care givers or adult chrildren who come home to rest.

Not true. There are transient individuals and groups flowing thru TV.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:45 AM

We rented a villa in Village of Collier a few years back. While gone for the day to Tampa, our villa was broken into and robbed in the middle of the day! After our burglary, the detective told us there were 17 more! We did not come back until this year. We rented another villa but brought with us a SimpliSafe alarm system that is portable and uses a 'command strip' technology to install and take down. We are paying for monitoring at about $25.00/ month. There is a cheaper program that costs around $15.00. Installation was simple and easy. There is crime here, but there is crime everywhere. We just feel more comfortable with the alarm. That way, we know if someone has been in our place!! And we sleep soundly at night! Good luck.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:47 AM

At most, I'd buy a Ring doorbell and call it a day. No real need for a full blown security system.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 AM
theruizs

We have half a dozen cameras (my idea, not my wife’s) but really not because of security concerns. I just like being able to see around my property, see when someone pulls into the drive, watch my wife swim, see if there are packages at the door I missed, and see who is at the door when the doorbell rings or they knock. It is more for convenience and fun than anything else. I have never not felt safe here.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Careful be on the lookout for lurking cougars and dog poop and trolls looking for white crosses
Old 02-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
In my opinion the Villages is very safe, but for added protection we have a 9 MM Sig Sauer with a laser sight as our security system.
I have Mr S&W, Mr Colt and Mr Glock as my personal security force !!! LOL !!! 😂
Old 02-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Apart from the vagrants, drunks, hookers, drug dealers, gang shootouts, barking dogs, loud music, and next doors wind chimes, it's a great place to live!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In the suburbs of Baltimore I used the fake alarm system sign, it had the red stop sign and said guarded by so and so. Here in TV it hasn't even entered my mine to put up a sign much less install a real system.

I live off St. Charles, it a busy road that runs through the Villages of Pennecamp, Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove and St. James. Occasionally I've had to go out at 5am, something you'll probably never see anywhere else, maybe in Beverly Hills. Lone women walking and jogging in the dark at 5am. Go out any morning that's not real cold and you'll see them on St. Charles. That's a sense of security you won't see anywhere else. Besides having the county sheriffs, TV has their own security patrols that will make at least one trip up every street everyday.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 AM

The main reason I’m moving to The Villages is that I feel it is safe. I’ve been collecting my yearly replacement security signs in anticipation of my move. I think I have enough to last my lifetime w/o the monthly cost.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Feeling extra safe having a firearm in your home to protect yourself is great. I'm 100% in favor of that. But, what good does it do if a burglary happens when nobody is home?
Closed Thread

Tags
safe, systems, things, people, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.