How safe is The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
A

I wonder why the Sheriff's department has "crimes against seniors" division.

JLK
Just thinking that alarms systems won't help with many of the crimes reported to crimes against seniors - and while we might want to shoot that landscaper who scarpers off with your deposit, or the carpenter using sub standard materials, I'm thinking this would get us thrown into jail....
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Like Gracie, I'm concerned that "future" Villages residents who read this thread might get a distorted impression of criminal acts and safety here. We are a community of 40,000+ homes and 80,000+ people. Random acts of violent crime (not those perpetrated by persons who know each other) are minimal and property crimes, specifically, burglary are miniscule in number compared to the size of the community. As others have said, this is the safest community I have lived in. But bad stuff can and will happen.

So, if an alarm system makes one feel more secure then have at it.

Sorry TalkHost, I've got to agree with katez and Memason...the thread topic and initial tone seemed to be intended to provoke fear and controversy. That was my perception...not saying it was or wasn't the intent but that's how it sounded to me.
I had to look twice to be sure it was not that advertiser who posts those type of threads.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Sorry TalkHost, I've got to agree with katez and Memason...the thread topic and initial tone seemed to be intended to provoke fear and controversy. That was my perception...not saying it was or wasn't the intent but that's how it sounded to me.
Me, too. This topic has been discussed in other threads ad nauseum . . .
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
BOMBERO
Default I'd love to know too

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I would be interested in knowing how many of the posters on TOTV actually LIVE [full or part-time] in TV??? I find it hard to believe that anyone living in TV would find it necessary to have security systems or weapons to protect themselves.

Are some of these threads started just to stir controversy ??

Don't know... just thinking.
And the reason I say that...

77 Replies and over 3500 Views and not one person said anything about a
story in Friday's 4/29/11 Daily Sun. Page C-1. The local section. Bottom right of page.

You can get the paper in or close to the Villages. I'm not sure about
Hillsborough County.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERO View Post
And the reason I say that...

77 Replies and over 3500 Views and not one person said anything about a
story in Friday's 4/29/11 Daily Sun. Page C-1. The local section. Bottom right of page.

You can get the paper in or close to the Villages. I'm not sure about
Hillsborough County.
I went back and looked in my Daily Sun. According to the article, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement released the 2010 Uniform Crime Reports for 2009 to 2010.

The report says, statewide, Florida saw a 6.7 drop in total offenses. These included subcategories like sex offenses, robbery, murder, aggravated assault and larceny.

Sumter County saw a 16 percent decrease in crime in 2009 to 2010. According to the report, "aggravated assault was up about 5 percent, and an increase in murders from one in 2009 to three in 2010 accounted for a 200 percent increase."

Lake County crime rates fell 8.2 percent (23 percent drop in robberies and 19 percent in burglary.)

Marion County's crime rates decreased 2.4 percent for the same period.

Here's the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Report if anyone is interested. Thanks BOMBERO for the heads-up.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...-Profiles.aspx
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I went back and looked in my Daily Sun. According to the article, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement released the 2010 Uniform Crime Reports for 2009 to 2010.

The report says, statewide, Florida saw a 6.7 drop in total offenses. These included subcategories like sex offenses, robbery, murder, aggravated assault and larceny.

Sumter County saw a 16 percent decrease in crime in 2009 to 2010. According to the report, "aggravated assault was up about 5 percent, and an increase in murders from one in 2009 to three in 2010 accounted for a 200 percent increase."

Lake County crime rates fell 8.2 percent (23 percent drop in robberies and 19 percent in burglary.)

Marion County's crime rates decreased 2.4 percent for the same period.

Here's the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Report if anyone is interested. Thanks BOMBERO for the heads-up.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...-Profiles.aspx
Smart girl BK. No wonder you won national awards for investigative reporting.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Regarding the "crimes against seniors", this is a special added feature that imposes harsher penalties to the bad guys.

The landscapers who do shoddy work or make off with deposits, the contractors who do not live up to their contracts, etc, should always be reported to Seniors vs Crime. This is a free service and is a project of the Florida Attorney General Office. It is not a law enforcement office. There is an office in Sumter County (Morse & 466) and an office in Marion County (Buena Vista at 42). The Sumter County office is open 3 days a week and Marion County office is open 2 days a week. Over $1 million has been recovered by each of the two offices. It is a 100% volunteer operation and has some great people (and office managers) working at them.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

TV is the safest place I've ever seen, overall as a community, bar none.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
TV is the safest place I've ever seen, overall as a community, bar none.
How many places have you seen John? Just kidding. I think everyone has to be responsible for their own safety; wherever they are. Watch your surroundings. Lock your doors and windows in your house and car. Don't leave belongings in plain sight in your vehicle. Don't open your door to strangers.

You know what I mean. Whatever makes you feel safe and secure. If you feel safe leaving your purse in your car, go for it. We were in town the other day at Spanish Springs. My checkbook feel out of my purse and I didn't realize what had happened until we came back to the golf cart.

There on the seat was my checkbook in plain sight. My husband nearly killed me. I would have never done that intentionally; in TV or anywhere on earth. Many places, it would have been gone in two minutes flat.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

It is safer everywhere, now that Osama Bin Laden is dead.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

That happened within a mile of my house. I was shocked but one has t remember this was a rare incident fueled by the fact that the daughter lived with her parents, I think I read was involved with drugs and the wrong kind of people. It was a couple of acquaintances of hers and I still feel she was involved in some way. Still scary stuff. But I have lived in a great neighborhood going on 8 years now. I have neighbors that care about each other and keep an eye out. A couple are retired police. None of us have alarms or feel the need for any and you are talking to a former Chicago gal The only thing that bothers me these days is the foreclosed house behind me that has been vacant for well over a year. Stay alert and keep your doors locked. Oh I do have 2 dogs one of which shall we say does NOT like strangers Just my opinion. While no place is entirely safe you have to do what you feel comfortable with and btw I was once a victim of a violent crime in my own home. When we first moved here I lived in our house by myself and one dog at the time for 8 months while hubby finished work up north. Not once did I not feel safe.
Ok this comment should have followed the one on the murder that took place in TV!

Last edited by rdhdleo; 05-07-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Not posted in proper sequence.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
.....Ok this comment should have followed the one on the murder that took place in TV!
rd - If you want to bring the desired post's contents forward to include with your reply, simply click the 'Quote' button at the lower right of the appropriate post rather than using the 'Reply' button. You can then edit the contents of it (if you desire) and post your reply at the end.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.