How Useful are Birdcages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Default How Useful are Birdcages?

We would like to have an above ground spa. Was wondering about putting it in a birdcage.

If you have a birdcage, what do you use it for? If you had to do it again, would you have built one?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
We would like to have an above ground spa. Was wondering about putting it in a birdcage.

If you have a birdcage, what do you use it for? If you had to do it again, would you have built one?

Thanks,

Tom
omigosh yes. It protects the pool from any chance of wandering critters including small humans who might be visiting the area. It allows the cats an outdoor space and I feel bad for Northerners who can't have one because of the weight of the snow. We love ours. No bugs.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

We put in our 2nd pool/spa this past summer with a birdcage surrounding both, worth every penny! GG forgot to mention one thing the birdcage helps with, BUGS! Even though we all live in a bubble here in TV, and my realtor said bugs weren't allowed in TV just like at Disney, Florida is a subtropical climate and bugs abound in HUGE quantities. The birdcage will keep out 99% of the bugs and makes being outside a much more pleasant experience.

Don't think of putting up a birdcage for the spa, think of it as adding an additional room to your home that you can use most of the year due to the mild weather we have. The mistake I made with my first pool was not building the birdcage big enough, we spent a lot more time outside but it was always a little cramped, expanding it again was an option but good fortune lead us to The Villages and I vowed not to make the same mistake twice. We added about 600+ sqft of living area to the pool deck area and now have 3 seating areas in addition to the pool area.

Take a drive around and look at some of the homes that have visible rear views. With or without a pool, those that have birdcages generally have enlarged living areas to enjoy the Florida weather and lifestyle. Also, go to some of the open houses that happen everyday, walk outside in the ones with the enlarged lanai/pool deck/birdcage and you will see and feel how nice the enclosed outside areas can be. In the grand scheme of things adding a birdcage and outside living area is very inexpensive but the returns are hugely enjoyable.

By all means do a birdcage! You'll not regret it. Go large as it's cheaper the first time around and you'll probably find you will use the outside area more than the spa itself.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

We did a birdcage also, no pool as there is one 2 blocks away. We kept the hot tub on the lanai, as it was out of the way, and we can use it when it is raining if we want to, not during lightning storms.
As for the birdcage, we had electrical receptacles installed with the concrete pad, this avoids cords across walk ways, for fountains, lights, etc. We also opted for 50% sun reduction screening in the roof area of the birdcage, this makes a big difference during the summer. If you have a pet, we have a cat, we also opted for pet screen in the lowest sections of the birdcage, and then had the same screening installed in the lanai. Pay attention to drainage in the birdcage, we had additional drains installed with the original concrete pad, but had to have more installed in the aluminum frame. We also took lawn paint, painted the outline of the new birdcage on the lawn, and confirmed the location of doors etc.
I agree with the comments above, this is another room, and very useful.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Default Birdcage

We don't have a pool or spa, but we built a cage last summer. Never thought we would use it as much as we do, its awesome.... Propane fire pit and plenty of comfortable seating.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

If you do not put in a bird cage you will be missing one of the more significant attributes of the FL lifestyle.

Total (almost) bug/creature free environment to enjoy the spring and fall (and some winter) outdoor living.
Allows opening windows and doors during those times with or without screens.
There are some nice potted plants to make the area more personalized that one would not put in the house.

Once we had our lanai expanded we put as much bird cage as the easements and codes would allow....complete width of the house and irregular geometry across the back to follow the lot line.

With our pool and hot tub we use the lanai/bird cage area more than 75% of the time.

Do your homework to be sure you do not miss a major lifestyle opportunity.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Just like the rule for buying a wide screen tv, go bigger than you thought. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the great comments.

Would you put a spa in the birdcage area or the lanai?

In the lanai we can use it in the rain. But was wondering about humidity of the spa being bad for the outside ceiling.

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm surprised to hear many people say that their birdcage keeps small creatures out because I find lizards in mine all the time.
That's not to say that I wouldn't want one because they do keep out bugs and birds (hence the name birdcage).
It also enables us to eat outside without having to be in the direct sunlight or rain.
As far as I'm concerned, birdcage is part of Florida living.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the great comments.

Would you put a spa in the birdcage area or the lanai?

In the lanai we can use it in the rain. But was wondering about humidity of the spa being bad for the outside ceiling.

Thanks again!
We kept ours in the lanai, just moved it so it was out of the way when we added the birdcage, see my previous reply.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm surprised to hear many people say that their birdcage keeps small creatures out because I find lizards in mine all the time.
That's not to say that I wouldn't want one because they do keep out bugs and birds (hence the name birdcage).
It also enables us to eat outside without having to be in the direct sunlight or rain.
As far as I'm concerned, birdcage is part of Florida living.
We found the anoles (lizards) can get in through the drains, so we also found if you install screening in these it stops them.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage

I'd put the hot tub in the bird cage and save the open lanai for covered seating.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Gold member
Default I don't think you have an option

Quote:

Thanks,

Tom
I suggest you check with the villages.

I'm not an atty but I would expect that it is your legal responsibility to prevent people, kids, pets etc from access to your pool hot tub, spa etc.

RE: Lizards
We actually have several different types.I believe most of them are aeriols. They are truly amazing. They like camelions can change colors. They have soft bones so can go through far smaller holes then you would imagine.
Their feet are magical in that they can walk on screens, glass etc. I've seen them jump several feet. Enjoy them-they are your first line of defense against insects.

OH, try as you might you cannot teach them to swear.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I would make sure your not encroaching in the easement. Poor guy about year ago had to tear his out cause it was inches in the easement when neighbor ratted him out that was there for 12 plus years.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
<snip> I believe most of them are aeriols. <snip>
As previously posted, they are anoles or anolis. Your description of them is spot on.
Closed Thread

Tags
birdcage, tom, built, putting, birdcages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.