How Is Water & Sewer Use Measured?

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,841 Times in 778 Posts
Default How Is Water & Sewer Use Measured?

How is water and sewer use measured by The Villages Community Development Districts? I’m asking not to complain, as I don’t think the cost is unreasonable, but because it confuses me. Below is a copy of my monthly bill. It says my water use was 12,480 gallons and my sewage use was also 12,480. On the left is a graph of my usage in the past year.

My house was unoccupied last year from May until the last week of October. I live alone. I take one five minute shower a day, turn off the water while brushing my teeth, and do two partial loads of wash per week. I have an automatic sprinkler system for my yard that I’ve never touched. I have a swimming pool that sometimes gets water added because of evaporation, but since January much less water has been added because I had an insulated pool cover installed. This seems to have made no difference in my water usage. I’m not sure why an unoccupied house uses more irrigation water some months than others when the controls haven’t been changed.

What about sewage? It looks like at least 90% of my water used either soaks into the sand beneath my grass or evaporates. It doesn’t use the sewers at all! I’ve been outside while the sprinklers run, and I’ve never seen any water running into a sewer. My personal water use is a brief shower, a few dishes, and a dozen or so toilet flushes, plus weekly wash. So how is my sewer use 12,480 gallons? I doubt that I add more than 1,500 gallons to the sewer in a month.

Is the charge for sewer use simply based on gallons of water used despite the fact that most doesn’t go into the sewer? Is there a meter that confirms that I have added 12,480 gallons of water to the sewer? (Of course there isn’t!) Do people with no lawn and only gravel have much lower water usage and so much lower sewer use charges, even though they may be adding just as much to the sewer as houses with lawns? Do houses with two or more occupants who are probably adding twice as much to the sewer system pay double? Would it be more appropriate for the cost for sewer to be divided equally according to occupants without claiming a sewer use that is certainly not supported by evidence?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	378A69D4-391E-4066-93E5-6D018227E9B0.jpg
Views:	4153
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	89468  
Old 05-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Where do you live?? Some places, house water is sprinkler water.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The costs of the sewerage treatment has to be spread out to the users some how. Some jurisdictions cap the number of gallons for sewerage at say 5,000. This helps with the cost of water for the grass but then you sewerage cost per gallon has to be higher because you have the same total costs to spread over fewer gallons. By the way manually control your sprinkler and you will use less water.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 AM

Sewer usage is based on water usage. The theory is one person will use less water than two people and therefore use less sewage. This is a typical way to charge based on other places I have lived.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Lot of info here.
VCDD Utilities/Amenities
Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
Sewer usage is based on water usage.
Not in all locations.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Here is a link that shows all of the rates for the different areas.

Utilities - Rate Information
Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You live in a part of The Villages that does not have separate meters for indoor water and irrigation water. The majority of your water is for irrigation. The bad news is you are paying sewage for irrigation water. The good news is the sewage charges appear to be capped at 10,000 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
How is water and sewer use measured by The Villages Community Development Districts? I’m asking not to complain, as I don’t think the cost is unreasonable, but because it confuses me. Below is a copy of my monthly bill. It says my water use was 12,480 gallons and my sewage use was also 12,480. On the left is a graph of my usage in the past year.

My house was unoccupied last year from May until the last week of October. I live alone. I take one five minute shower a day, turn off the water while brushing my teeth, and do two partial loads of wash per week. I have an automatic sprinkler system for my yard that I’ve never touched. I have a swimming pool that sometimes gets water added because of evaporation, but since January much less water has been added because I had an insulated pool cover installed. This seems to have made no difference in my water usage. I’m not sure why an unoccupied house uses more irrigation water some months than others when the controls haven’t been changed.

What about sewage? It looks like at least 90% of my water used either soaks into the sand beneath my grass or evaporates. It doesn’t use the sewers at all! I’ve been outside while the sprinklers run, and I’ve never seen any water running into a sewer. My personal water use is a brief shower, a few dishes, and a dozen or so toilet flushes, plus weekly wash. So how is my sewer use 12,480 gallons? I doubt that I add more than 1,500 gallons to the sewer in a month.

Is the charge for sewer use simply based on gallons of water used despite the fact that most doesn’t go into the sewer? Is there a meter that confirms that I have added 12,480 gallons of water to the sewer? (Of course there isn’t!) Do people with no lawn and only gravel have much lower water usage and so much lower sewer use charges, even though they may be adding just as much to the sewer as houses with lawns? Do houses with two or more occupants who are probably adding twice as much to the sewer system pay double? Would it be more appropriate for the cost for sewer to be divided equally according to occupants without claiming a sewer use that is certainly not supported by evidence?
Old 05-13-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Not in all locations.
In the posters specific case it is calculated that way as shown on his bill.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

I feel your pain, our spa WAS using $100 power per month.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post

You have no separate charge for irrigation like most of the Villages. I had a villa in Calumet grove and that is the way the bill looked. You admitted that you haven’t adjusted the irrigation settings at all so that is where you need to start. Also your rain sensor (if you have one) may be malfunctioning and allowing your irrigation to run after a good rain instead of shutting it off. Look at the run times on each zone and reduce them
Old 05-14-2021, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

I live in an area where irrigation water and drinking water are metered separately. I used about as much water as you did: about 1,300 for drinking and 11,300 for irrigation. It looks like my sewer charge is a little less than yours but my water charge is a bit more. The totals on our bills are very close to the same.

I know my usage has been consistent for the past three years so either we're both about right or I've been wasting water for a while. My usage drops more than yours in Dec, Jan, and Feb - there might be an adjustment you could make on your sprinkler system to account for the winter months.

As others have pointed out, sewer usage is determined by water usage. If you only have a single meter there is no way to know how much went onto your lawn and how much went down the drain. Your sewer rate is lower than mine and that is probably because they know that the bulk of your water goes onto the lawn.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I live in an area where irrigation water and drinking water are metered separately. I used about as much water as you did: about 1,300 for drinking and 11,300 for irrigation. It looks like my sewer charge is a little less than yours but my water charge is a bit more. The totals on our bills are very close to the same.

I know my usage has been consistent for the past three years so either we're both about right or I've been wasting water for a while. My usage drops more than yours in Dec, Jan, and Feb - there might be an adjustment you could make on your sprinkler system to account for the winter months.

As others have pointed out, sewer usage is determined by water usage. If you only have a single meter there is no way to know how much went onto your lawn and how much went down the drain. Your sewer rate is lower than mine and that is probably because they know that the bulk of your water goes onto the lawn.
I use about the same as you do for drinking water, but only about 2500 gallons for irrigation. You may want reduce your watering times and see what happens. I went from 30 minutes per zone to about 5-10 minutes and didn't notice any difference in my lawn and shrubs. You can also view your neighbors' water bills online at districtgov.org to see how your usage compares to similar lawns.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:04 AM

We have had a similar experience. Gone for months at a time and same usage as when we are home. Once we turned off our sprinklers in August. It rained every day so it wasn't needed. Still the same usage. If there is a small $10 overcharge for 60,000 homes every month...
Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 AM

I remember when water was free.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, sewer, gallons, 12, 480, usage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.