How’s Retirement Newbies ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
37 years. That is just amazing. It really isn't easy for educators nowadays when they get little backup from the student's homes. Several people we know in N.J. retired from teaching in the inner city because of the conditions. I'll just leave it at that, it was rough. The Jersey people who were teachers are struggling with finding their niche in retirement. We had one of the come for a week and check it out and she fell in love with the entire operation. We took them on the three Trolley rides. This place is like a humongous magnet. They wouldn't believe the tax's here. The entire year taxes here is about one months worth in Jersey and its only getting worse. Glad you're happy here I always enjoy your posts.
You are so right. No backup from students homes. My wife was a teacher in an upper class community in NJ so it was different and she was lucky. But Newark, Camden or Trenton...no way. NJ has or had great teacher salary and retirement benefits but Florida teacher compensation is low and even lower in Florida charter schools. I dont see how teachers can make a living in Florida.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
After 37 years in the classroom (Duval Co. Fla) I was ready. The Good Lord was looking out for this fool since I wouldn't recommend education to any young person which is a shame. The Legislature and Gov. have waged a twenty year war on Public Education in Florida. It was a great gig for 30 years and hell on Earth the last five. I haven't been bored a moment during the 3.5 years I've been retired.
Well, I know how you feel, until our current president, Washington DC has been waging a war on US manufacturing. I have lost 2 jobs to the Chinese. Not sure even now I would recommend anything in the Mfg sector to a young person either. Of course all the non-mfg people who I told to buy american said things like "it is my business who I buy from, etc." No support at all.... I think if I had to do it all over again I would go into IT.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Well, I know how you feel, until our current president, Washington DC has been waging a war on US manufacturing. I have lost 2 jobs to the Chinese. Not sure even now I would recommend anything in the Mfg sector to a young person either. Of course all the non-mfg people who I told to buy american said things like "it is my business who I buy from, etc." No support at all.... I think if I had to do it all over again I would go into IT.
To set the record straight, it has been demand from consumers who wanted low prices and stockholders who demand maximum stock appreciation for 4+ decades...that resulted in off-shoring/foreign manufacturing.

The fact that some American industries, such as automotive manufacturing, thought they could build vastly inferior products and shame people into "buying American"... exacerbated the problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
To set the record straight, it has been demand from consumers who wanted low prices and stockholders who demand maximum stock appreciation for 4+ decades...that resulted in off-shoring/foreign manufacturing.

The fact that some American industries, such as automotive manufacturing, thought they could build vastly inferior products and shame people into "buying American"... exacerbated the problem.
Besides which many foreign automobiles are built in the US, providing jobs here.

There are many sides to that story. Some say the real thing that killed manufacturing jobs was automation.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Besides which many foreign automobiles are built in the US, providing jobs here.

There are many sides to that story. Some say the real thing that killed manufacturing jobs was automation.
Good points.

In all honesty though, automation was but one (albeit, probably the biggest) result of consumer/stockholders demands.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 PM
TOTV Moderator

Topic is adjusting to retirement. Let's not let political topics intrude or the thread will be closed.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I've been retired for ten years and have enjoyed every minute. When I retired I loved my job, but was commuting two hours from my lake home (had an apartment near work where I stayed during the week) and wanted to get out of that rut. My kids own a successful healthcare staffing company and gave me a part-time job to allow me to transition to medicare (I still work one day a week for them). The thing that helped me, and that I advise all new retirees, is that I have continued to get up between 5:30 and 6:30 every morning, including weekends. I Shower and shave and get dressed just like I'm going to work even though I may not have anything planned, or I golf early in the morning when in TV. I think, for me, sleeping late and lounging in my PJs would be a concession to age and self-defeating. I am 72, active, and feel great.

Tags
i’ve, what’s, i’m, bad, boss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.