How’s Retirement Newbies ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
My Dad warned me about the same thing...and he was correct.
My dad warned us to not retire as long as we can.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
One of very happy with golf 7 days a week, and many club activities. Not so much the other half. Flys down every 4 months for 6 weeks, and then travels for 4 months. Everyone is happy.
Very happy playing golf during the summers?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
My dad warned us to not retire as long as we can.

My dad died at 48, I’m 63, I’ll take all I can get and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Very happy playing golf during the summers?
Yes play early, or late, summers are not a problem for us playing golf
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

I may be in the minority who easily adjusted to retirement. My last job was at a start-up tech company. I worked from home but often put in 12-14 hour days. My work phone was always on and I was on call 24/7 in case of an outage or client emergency.

Even though I enjoyed my job, it was very good to let it go. I'm partially disabled and enjoy my own company, but I absolutely love having no schedule. I sleep and eat when I feel like it. My idea of living the dream is no commute and nowhere to be. "Keeping busy" means reading, cooking, listening to podcasts, engaging in discussion boards, playing online games, and catching up on a crap-ton of TV and movies.

(I moved here to be close to my siblings and the social activities were never a draw for me. As I said, a minority viewpoint!)

Last edited by queasy27; 04-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I may be in the minority who easily adjusted to retirement. My last job was at a start-up tech company. I worked from home but often put in 12-14 hour days. My work phone was always on and I was on call 24/7 in case of an outage or client emergency.
I could have written this myself, my experience exactly.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

I’m 56 and psychologically not ready to retire. I thought I was but I’m not. I truly love what I do. Yes, there is much c..p that goes with the job but the pluses far outweigh the minuses. In my field retirement is permanent so there is no changing your mind. I may be ready in a year, but not today. I envy those that retire and never look back. We’re all on a different schedule.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post

Even though I enjoyed my job, it was very good to let it go. I'm partially disabled and enjoy my own company, but I absolutely love having no schedule. I sleep and eat when I feel like it. My idea of living the dream is no commute and nowhere to be. "Keeping busy" means reading, cooking, listening to podcasts, engaging in discussion boards, playing online games, and catching up a a crap-ton of TV and movies.

(I moved here to be close to my siblings and the social activities were never a draw for me. As I said, a minority viewpoint!)
I appreciate and share most of your viewpoint. Pickleball, the weather, the no-schedule. I endure a minute amount of golf just to spend time with some very dear friends. I love to cook and read. You can do as much or as little as you want here.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage

If I could afford to, I would cut back to working 25 hours a week. Alas, unless I win the lottery, I will have to work full-time for probably another 7 or 8 years, but I'm just 57, so that is to be expected. I'm sure hoping by the time I turn 65 I can just work part-time, for the supplemental income and to stay busy.

A former co-worker of mine worked full-time until a month before her death in February. Pat had just turned 74 a few days before she passed away. A couple of years ago, she was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and her doctor ordered her to go to the hospital to get her blood sugar under control. She said "I can't go to the hospital, I'm too busy at work." I told Pat that she had to listen to her doctor, otherwise she could end up dying at work. Well, she half listened to her doctor's advice, but work was her #1 priority up to the end. Pat didn't need the income from her job, but she had never developed any outside interest, hobbies, or volunteering experience. Her "retirement" lasted all of 4 weeks before she passed.

Working full-time in today's economy, where most employees are seen as expendable, is not the way I want to spend my golden years, but to each his or her own.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM

following. some great responses.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
One of very happy with golf 7 days a week, and many club activities. Not so much the other half. Flys down every 4 months for 6 weeks, and then travels for 4 months. Everyone is happy.
If everyone is happy, that's a perfect arrangement!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
If I could afford to, I would cut back to working 25 hours a week. Alas, unless I win the lottery, I will have to work full-time for probably another 7 or 8 years, but I'm just 57, so that is to be expected. I'm sure hoping by the time I turn 65 I can just work part-time, for the supplemental income and to stay busy.

A former co-worker of mine worked full-time until a month before her death in February. Pat had just turned 74 a few days before she passed away. A couple of years ago, she was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and her doctor ordered her to go to the hospital to get her blood sugar under control. She said "I can't go to the hospital, I'm too busy at work." I told Pat that she had to listen to her doctor, otherwise she could end up dying at work. Well, she half listened to her doctor's advice, but work was her #1 priority up to the end. Pat didn't need the income from her job, but she had never developed any outside interest, hobbies, or volunteering experience. Her "retirement" lasted all of 4 weeks before she passed.

Working full-time in today's economy, where most employees are seen as expendable, is not the way I want to spend my golden years, but to each his or her own.
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I see it a lot at my job too and vow not to be one of them. I'm 56 now and will start spending more time down there with a full retirement at 62.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

After 37 years in the classroom (Duval Co. Fla) I was ready. The Good Lord was looking out for this fool since I wouldn't recommend education to any young person which is a shame. The Legislature and Gov. have waged a twenty year war on Public Education in Florida. It was a great gig for 30 years and hell on Earth the last five. I haven't been bored a moment during the 3.5 years I've been retired.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
After 37 years in the classroom (Duval Co. Fla) I was ready. The Good Lord was looking out for this fool since I wouldn't recommend education to any young person which is a shame. The Legislature and Gov. have waged a twenty year war on Public Education in Florida. It was a great gig for 30 years and hell on Earth the last five. I haven't been bored a moment during the 3.5 years I've been retired.
37 years. That is just amazing. It really isn't easy for educators nowadays when they get little backup from the student's homes. Several people we know in N.J. retired from teaching in the inner city because of the conditions. I'll just leave it at that, it was rough. The Jersey people who were teachers are struggling with finding their niche in retirement. We had one of the come for a week and check it out and she fell in love with the entire operation. We took them on the three Trolley rides. This place is like a humongous magnet. They wouldn't believe the tax's here. The entire year taxes here is about one months worth in Jersey and its only getting worse. Glad you're happy here I always enjoy your posts.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

God bless the teachers who stuck it out. Way back in the 1980s a friend of mine who had moved to Massachusetts and whose older brother was an 8th grade math teacher in our home town connected with me. We visited his older brother and a shop teacher from our old Junior high school. They each had retired literally the day they had become eligible. I asked them why. They said "The kids changed". Nowadays 'the parents have changed', if they are even around or known.

Twenty years or so ago I met a mid school principal, again from my home town. Sadly, she could not name even one student who lived with his or her natural parents, married or even unmarried. They lived with a grandparent, cousin, older sibling or...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
i’ve, what’s, i’m, bad, boss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.