HUGE Fire in Silver Lake

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Default HUGE Fire in Silver Lake

While driving home tonight we noticed an enormous amount of fire trucks and police cars blocking off a 4 block radius in Silver Lake. Someone said they saw flames shooting up in the air from someone's house but can't get anymore details. Does anyone know what happened?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Was this just a little while ago. While I was sitting on our,lanai I heard a large boom and our house rattled and the boom lasted for some time. It wasn't like thunder it was a weird sound. Did something blow up?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

I guess I used the wrong word to describe the noise. I was like a rolling rumble boom. The whole house shook and the windows rattled.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Sage

That could be why fire engines were headed up Morse tonight. Goodness, I hope there were no injuries.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
While driving home tonight we noticed an enormous amount of fire trucks and police cars blocking off a 4 block radius in Silver Lake. Someone said they saw flames shooting up in the air from someone's house but can't get anymore details. Does anyone know what happened?
Do you happen to know what street?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

the fire started just before sunset and was on matthew just off of tarrson and close to the foot of tracy. we live about 9 houses down tracy - heard what sounded like a muffled backfire followed shortly by smoke. smoke started to go to black and sirens could be heard in the distance. shortly after the flames were visible above the trees of a neighbor house on tracy. hubs took golf cart down the street and flames were through the roof through the center of the house and off to one side. one neighbor reported that the woman who lived there was out walking the dog.

will find out more tomorrow when I go by the house to see if there is anything we can do for who lived there.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Sage

Thanks, njbchbum.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Thanks, njbchbum.
ur welcome!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Veteran member

Thanks njbchbum! I'm so glad no one was home. My neighbor said her dishes shook in her china cabinet and we live about 10 blocks away. She said it was a gas explosion. I don't remember ever seeing so many fire trucks and police cars anywhere in TV than last night. I wonder how the neighboring houses fared?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had thunder and lightning in the last 24 hours, was it last night? I don't remember. Time for us to have lightning rods installed. We've been putting it off.

I too hope and pray that no one was hurt.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

I went to look at the house this morning. I did not see any damage to neighboring houses from heat or explosion. The damaged house has inside fire damage and the outside roof and siding are sill in place. I think it had a front kitchen and judging from the smoke on the siding around window that was the origin of the fire. Seeing the neighbors have no damage from an explosion, I assume the sound of explosion was the windows blowing out because of the intense heat buildup. My guess is the house will not be rebuilt.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
ur welcome!
Pass on anything that any of us could do to help too Njbchbum.

If the home will not be rebuilt, will it be replaced? It sounds awful for those who live there.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Pass on anything that any of us could do to help too Njbchbum.

If the home will not be rebuilt, will it be replaced? It sounds awful for those who live there.
The home is a single wide 1978/82 my best guess which would make the home uninsurable AKA self insured. A few years back I was told it cost about $5,000 remove a unit that was a straight pull not on a hill which this one is (not on hill).
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

I now know for sure the house is a 1986, the owner is a full time resident with her dog and is currently staying with a neighbor up the street and around the corner. I did not speak to the owner but to neighbors. I was told she does have insurance. It remains to be determined if the insurance is replacement value or a depreciated value. The later being my guess. The neighbors are talking about a fund raising effort. With the owner having a roof over her head friends are waiting for input from the insurance company to determine out of pocket loss. A hot spot appeared this morning and the fire dept had to return. Some items were salvaged from drawers in the bedroom.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Sage

I'm glad to hear she had insurance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.