Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Humidistat - needed? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/humidistat-needed-302881/)

Sunflower33 02-18-2020 06:47 AM

I take care of my brothers 1100 sq ft villa and keep the air on 80 and keep all shades closed. He has never had a problem. Just FYI

tuccillo 02-18-2020 06:48 AM

Mold is more likely with high relative humidity and infrequent air exchanges. I believe the current thinking is relative humidity for extended periods of time over 70% is potentially a problem. Garages most likely have frequent air exchanges since the doors are opened on a regular basis. In the summer, high temperatures in a garage make high relative humidities for extended periods of time unlikely. For example, if the temperature is 95F, relative humidity over 60% is nearly impossible. As the temperature in the garage cools in the evening the relative humidity will increase but you won't typically have high relative humidities for extended periods of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1718899)
There was a thread a couple years ago on this topic.

A poster, not me, said all this humidity concern was over rated. His/her point was, why is there not a lot of mold in everyone's garage??

Hmmmmmmmmm. Never thought about that.

Does someone have an answer??

Thanks.

dewilson58 02-18-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuccillo (Post 1719029)
Mold is more likely with high relative humidity and infrequent air exchanges. I believe the current thinking is relative humidity for extended periods of time over 70% is potentially a problem. Garages most likely have frequent air exchanges since the doors are opened on a regular basis. In the summer, high temperatures in a garage make high relative humidities for extended periods of time unlikely. For example, if the temperature is 95F, relative humidity over 60% is nearly impossible. As the temperature in the garage cools in the evening the relative humidity will increase but you won't typically have high relative humidities for extended periods of time.

:coolsmiley:
(not a pun)

Bethwill 02-18-2020 07:17 AM

My dehumidifier comes on whether or not the air conditioner is ready to come on, if it is too humid. We keep our thermostat at 80 in the daytime. Our house was built in 2014

retiredguy123 02-18-2020 07:40 AM

I think the answer to the OP's question is that, if you keep the AC setting on about 80 degrees, you don't need a dehumidifier to prevent mold or other humidity problems in your house. A humidistat is just a device to measure the relative humidity. You can buy one at Home Depot for about 10 dollars. It is not a dehumidifier.

Lyn Wagner 02-18-2020 07:41 AM

The nest

The greatest thing is have a nest installed for you heat and air. We go to Buffalo and with the nest you can see the humidity in the house and you can change your air or heat any time you want. I go on my phone or iPad and change the temperature any time I want from Buffalo to control what is going on in the house. Love it!!! Also have a front door camera and i can see if my grass has been cut, if my sprinklers are running ok. Love it. And i had Lowes install a WiFi garage door opener and if i need to open the door for lawn guy to adjust sprinklers i can open it from Buffalo. Sure takes the worries out of what is going on at my house. Just saying.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 02-18-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIRE1 (Post 1718828)
I also thought I should have a humidistat for the summers when we go back to Michigan and had one installed. When I tried to use it, however, I found that the AC would only run if the humidity got above the set level. But the AC would NOT run if the temperature in the house got over the thermostat setting. I had thought the AC would run if either the thermostat OR humidistat settings reach, but I found out it wasn't.

So now, I just leave the humidistat to ON (i.e. not engaged), and rely on the thermostat to trigger the AC when the temp in the house is over 80 degrees. I'm sure some of the newer humidistat will turn on the AC if either condition is met, but just to let you know what to look for if you decide to have one installed.

That is actually the whole idea behind having a humidistat. If you set the AC to come on at 80 when you are away in the summer, it will run all day and much of the night. Since the humidity and not the heat is what is harmful to the inside of your home, a humidistat will only allow the AC to come on when the humidity rises above the pre set level regardless of temperature. It is not intended as a dehumidifier when you you are occupying the home. I had one back in the 80s when I was a Sarasota snowbird.

anothersteve 02-18-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1719052)
A humidistat is just a device to measure the relative humidity. You can buy one at Home Depot for about 10 dollars. It is not a dehumidifier.

That would actually be a "hygrometer"

Steve

retiredguy123 02-18-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1719058)
That would actually be a "hygrometer"

Steve

Thanks. You are correct.

gmdds 02-18-2020 08:35 AM

Whole house dehumidifier

What you need is a whole house dehumidifier, not a small portable unit. It is all about relative humidity.

We are full timers, and it is always on (not always running), and the humidity level is set at 50%. This means that the AC runs way less. For example last summer we kept the AC at 80, with the dehumidifier at 50%, and were more than comfortable, even cool sometimes. When we leave town we leave the dehumidifier at 50%, but raise the AC to 87.

I would rather run the 110V unit to keep the moisture out vs. the 220V AC. It doesn’t make sense to run the AC just to draw moisture out...you don’t need it cooler, just dryer.

Case in point...this morning. The dehumidifier is running now because the dew point if very high. It is plenty cool enough outside...so only need it dehumidifier, not cooler.

Hope this helps.

Dlbonivich 02-18-2020 08:59 AM

I really never thought you needed anything besides running the air. I always kept my air set at 80 degrees when I’m not there and things are fine. My unit at the beach on the water has much higher humidity than a house here and I have never had a problem in 10 years.

willbush 02-18-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evluoma (Post 1718770)
As a new house owner I have been advised to have a humidistat installed so when we are not in the area, we do not have to worry about high humidity in our home. I was thinking that by keeping the air conditioning on during the summer (while we are gone) at a setting of 80 or below, that would prevent any humidity problems. Any opinions or advice is appreciated, including who you would hire to install a humidistat. Thanks.

Had Munns install a Honeywell Vision IAQ pro (all one unit that replaces unit on wall). All we do is push the hold button when we leave and it monitors these two points - heat 87 & humidity 60% - when we get back after summer we just hit cancel to go back to reg settings;do not get the separate unit as many individuals have problems trying to work two units;our electric drops down to 1/3 & house is comfortable & we never have to worry about mold;have had it since Mar 2011 - going on 9 yrs and love it;not one service call since installing.

Parker614 02-18-2020 10:01 AM

Definitely worth it. We did not live here for the first 2 years we owned our house. Munn's installed ours and showed us how to use it. Very easy. It saved us so much money. Makes no sense to have the a/c run all the time when all you really need is to keep the humidity under control so you don't get mold. I would say it paid for itself in just a couple/few months. Munn's is very reliable!

dougawhite 02-18-2020 10:28 AM

Maintain good air circulation while away. Leave all interior doors open, including closets, and run all ceiling fans on low.

renpan 02-18-2020 10:43 AM

Our home is 14 years old. We always leave the thermostat to 80 when we leave inh May. We have seen no evidence in mold even when we had our bathroom remodeled .