Humidistat - needed?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2020, 06:47 AM

I take care of my brothers 1100 sq ft villa and keep the air on 80 and keep all shades closed. He has never had a problem. Just FYI
Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Mold is more likely with high relative humidity and infrequent air exchanges. I believe the current thinking is relative humidity for extended periods of time over 70% is potentially a problem. Garages most likely have frequent air exchanges since the doors are opened on a regular basis. In the summer, high temperatures in a garage make high relative humidities for extended periods of time unlikely. For example, if the temperature is 95F, relative humidity over 60% is nearly impossible. As the temperature in the garage cools in the evening the relative humidity will increase but you won't typically have high relative humidities for extended periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
There was a thread a couple years ago on this topic.

A poster, not me, said all this humidity concern was over rated. His/her point was, why is there not a lot of mold in everyone's garage??

Hmmmmmmmmm. Never thought about that.

Does someone have an answer??

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Mold is more likely with high relative humidity and infrequent air exchanges. I believe the current thinking is relative humidity for extended periods of time over 70% is potentially a problem. Garages most likely have frequent air exchanges since the doors are opened on a regular basis. In the summer, high temperatures in a garage make high relative humidities for extended periods of time unlikely. For example, if the temperature is 95F, relative humidity over 60% is nearly impossible. As the temperature in the garage cools in the evening the relative humidity will increase but you won't typically have high relative humidities for extended periods of time.

(not a pun)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:17 AM

My dehumidifier comes on whether or not the air conditioner is ready to come on, if it is too humid. We keep our thermostat at 80 in the daytime. Our house was built in 2014
Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

I think the answer to the OP's question is that, if you keep the AC setting on about 80 degrees, you don't need a dehumidifier to prevent mold or other humidity problems in your house. A humidistat is just a device to measure the relative humidity. You can buy one at Home Depot for about 10 dollars. It is not a dehumidifier.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Default The nest

The greatest thing is have a nest installed for you heat and air. We go to Buffalo and with the nest you can see the humidity in the house and you can change your air or heat any time you want. I go on my phone or iPad and change the temperature any time I want from Buffalo to control what is going on in the house. Love it!!! Also have a front door camera and i can see if my grass has been cut, if my sprinklers are running ok. Love it. And i had Lowes install a WiFi garage door opener and if i need to open the door for lawn guy to adjust sprinklers i can open it from Buffalo. Sure takes the worries out of what is going on at my house. Just saying.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I also thought I should have a humidistat for the summers when we go back to Michigan and had one installed. When I tried to use it, however, I found that the AC would only run if the humidity got above the set level. But the AC would NOT run if the temperature in the house got over the thermostat setting. I had thought the AC would run if either the thermostat OR humidistat settings reach, but I found out it wasn't.

So now, I just leave the humidistat to ON (i.e. not engaged), and rely on the thermostat to trigger the AC when the temp in the house is over 80 degrees. I'm sure some of the newer humidistat will turn on the AC if either condition is met, but just to let you know what to look for if you decide to have one installed.
That is actually the whole idea behind having a humidistat. If you set the AC to come on at 80 when you are away in the summer, it will run all day and much of the night. Since the humidity and not the heat is what is harmful to the inside of your home, a humidistat will only allow the AC to come on when the humidity rises above the pre set level regardless of temperature. It is not intended as a dehumidifier when you you are occupying the home. I had one back in the 80s when I was a Sarasota snowbird.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A humidistat is just a device to measure the relative humidity. You can buy one at Home Depot for about 10 dollars. It is not a dehumidifier.
That would actually be a "hygrometer"

Steve
Old 02-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
That would actually be a "hygrometer"

Steve
Thanks. You are correct.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:35 AM
Default Whole house dehumidifier

What you need is a whole house dehumidifier, not a small portable unit. It is all about relative humidity.

We are full timers, and it is always on (not always running), and the humidity level is set at 50%. This means that the AC runs way less. For example last summer we kept the AC at 80, with the dehumidifier at 50%, and were more than comfortable, even cool sometimes. When we leave town we leave the dehumidifier at 50%, but raise the AC to 87.

I would rather run the 110V unit to keep the moisture out vs. the 220V AC. It doesn’t make sense to run the AC just to draw moisture out...you don’t need it cooler, just dryer.

Case in point...this morning. The dehumidifier is running now because the dew point if very high. It is plenty cool enough outside...so only need it dehumidifier, not cooler.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:59 AM

I really never thought you needed anything besides running the air. I always kept my air set at 80 degrees when I’m not there and things are fine. My unit at the beach on the water has much higher humidity than a house here and I have never had a problem in 10 years.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evluoma View Post
As a new house owner I have been advised to have a humidistat installed so when we are not in the area, we do not have to worry about high humidity in our home. I was thinking that by keeping the air conditioning on during the summer (while we are gone) at a setting of 80 or below, that would prevent any humidity problems. Any opinions or advice is appreciated, including who you would hire to install a humidistat. Thanks.
Had Munns install a Honeywell Vision IAQ pro (all one unit that replaces unit on wall). All we do is push the hold button when we leave and it monitors these two points - heat 87 & humidity 60% - when we get back after summer we just hit cancel to go back to reg settings;do not get the separate unit as many individuals have problems trying to work two units;our electric drops down to 1/3 & house is comfortable & we never have to worry about mold;have had it since Mar 2011 - going on 9 yrs and love it;not one service call since installing.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:01 AM

Definitely worth it. We did not live here for the first 2 years we owned our house. Munn's installed ours and showed us how to use it. Very easy. It saved us so much money. Makes no sense to have the a/c run all the time when all you really need is to keep the humidity under control so you don't get mold. I would say it paid for itself in just a couple/few months. Munn's is very reliable!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:28 AM

Maintain good air circulation while away. Leave all interior doors open, including closets, and run all ceiling fans on low.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 AM

Our home is 14 years old. We always leave the thermostat to 80 when we leave inh May. We have seen no evidence in mold even when we had our bathroom remodeled .
Closed Thread

Tags
humidistat, humidity, opinions, hire, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.