Humidistat - needed?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Have one, don't like it, don't use it. I use AC and fans when I am gone.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evluoma View Post
As a new house owner I have been advised to have a humidistat installed so when we are not in the area, we do not have to worry about high humidity in our home. I was thinking that by keeping the air conditioning on during the summer (while we are gone) at a setting of 80 or below, that would prevent any humidity problems. Any opinions or advice is appreciated, including who you would hire to install a humidistat. Thanks.
Don't waste your money unless you do not have sufficient insulation. Just set the thermostat at a reasonable temperature such as 82 degrees F and all will be good. We have been doing this for 10 years with NO problems.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
If you have a humidistat, and you are gone for the summer, you can dial it to 60% and set the thermostat to say 76. You are really only worried about controlling the humidity in the house not trying to keep it cool. This way if the humidity goes below 60% the AC kicks on.
Steve
We have a humidistat which was already in our pre owned home. It was explained to us by Munns that the dial should be set to 60. The air conditioning will not run unless the humidity in the house goes ABOVE 60%. The house can get hot as heck but the A/C will not kick on unless the humidity is higher than 60%. Munns said it doesn't matter how hot the house gets, it is the humidity that is the problem when leaving the house uninhabited for periods of time.

When we left our home after "the season", we kept the thermostat cool setting at 83 degrees and the humidistat at 60. We left the house with those settings for 9 months at a time. Never had a mold problem and the electric bills were minimal.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:00 PM

If your home is new enough to have a Carrier brand thermostat. It most like has a humidity setting. Mold has little to do with temperature, and everything to do with humidity. There's no mold in the dessert and mold exists in glaciers. Set your factory thermostat to control humidity at 50-55%, and set the AC to 80 deg. You are all set. Now people will tell you the house needs to be cooler: Well if you set the house cold enough, the summer humidity will condense around windows and creat water.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
There was a thread a couple years ago on this topic.

A poster, not me, said all this humidity concern was over rated. His/her point was, why is there not a lot of mold in everyone's garage??

Hmmmmmmmmm. Never thought about that.

Does someone have an answer??

Thanks.
Son of a gun! Never thought about that. It is true, we have lived in south and central Florida for a total of 35 years and never have had a mold problem in the garage. Good point.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:16 PM

I've been in Central Florida for 40 years and never met anybody with a humidistat installed. I also used to do energy audits. If you're going to be gone for a while just leave the AC set at 84 degrees to keep the humidity out of the house.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM
Default Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by evluoma View Post
As a new house owner I have been advised to have a humidistat installed so when we are not in the area, we do not have to worry about high humidity in our home. I was thinking that by keeping the air conditioning on during the summer (while we are gone) at a setting of 80 or below, that would prevent any humidity problems. Any opinions or advice is appreciated, including who you would hire to install a humidistat. Thanks.
I am gone for 5 months during the summer. i do not have a humidistat. I set my thermostat for 88 degrees but for one hour each day it drops to 74 degrees. That insures that my A/C will run for at least one hour each day to dry the air and keep the humidity under control. I have had no problems with this approach and my electric bill is only about $35/mo. for an Amarillo.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 AM

I am an the owner/technician for Good Guys Air Conditioning and resident of LaBelle here in the villages with just over 40 years experience as a technician. There are many people here that have made a comment if you keep your air-conditioning on and set to 80 it will control the humidity within the home. That advice is correct.
There is also a couple comments about most carrier thermostats have a humidity setpoint that will actually over cool the space if humidity setpoint gets excited. The only comment I would add to that is that it’s not most carrier thermostats it is certain models but not all. I chose to replace mine with one that connects to the internet so I can be alerted if there is a problem.

Before moving to the villages I had a home I used for vacation in the Tampa area. For the last five years I kept the thermostat at 80° and experienced a humidity reading of between 40 and 50% all summer. The home was built in the late 70s and was notNearly as well as the homes here in the villages. If you keep the Internet on why you’re not here I would certainly recommend a thermostat that will monitor and alert you if there is an issue with either humidity or temperature exceeding your setpoint. If you have any questions you can contact me directly.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Mold is more likely with high relative humidity and infrequent air exchanges. I believe the current thinking is relative humidity for extended periods of time over 70% is potentially a problem. Garages most likely have frequent air exchanges since the doors are opened on a regular basis. In the summer, high temperatures in a garage make high relative humidities for extended periods of time unlikely. For example, if the temperature is 95F, relative humidity over 60% is nearly impossible. As the temperature in the garage cools in the evening the relative humidity will increase but you won't typically have high relative humidities for extended periods of time.

Thanks.

Wondering about snowbirds who are gone and not exchanging the air.

Tags
humidistat, humidity, opinions, hire, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.