Hurricane prep in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2022, 05:02 AM
Platinum member
Default There's no place like home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainger99 View Post
this will be my first hurricane (if it hits us).

Before i moved here, i would always see news reports of hurricane prep with people boarding up windows and putting sandbags down.

Do people here board up windows or place sandbags around their homes? Or is that just on the coast?

Should i be watching football this afternoon or getting the house ready? Thanks.
if the hurricane slams tv you'll find many new friends to help you on your journey.
What's the worst that could happen???
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220926_054817.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	95214   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220926_055039.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	95215   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220926_054950.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	95216   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220926_055015.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	95217   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220926_054904.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	95218  

Old 09-26-2022, 06:04 AM

Charge batteries for phones etc. Move important items inside your house envelope (off lanai) be prepared to move anything that can fly around outside inside the house envelope (grills, outdoor furniture, decorations). Prepare flash lights - have batteries accessible. Fill a bathtub with water for flushing if the pumping stations lose power - if it looks like we are in the path. Most here do not have sutters. Some boarded up for Irma, others not. Have your medications ready if you need to evacuate - Go Bag. Have a battery operated emergency radio. Sign up for your county alert system, check their prepare for the storm lists. Know where your county emergency shelter is. I had water infiltrate under doors and windows during Irma - be prepared with towels etc.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
By least prepared area, do you mean the people or the emergency services or something else?

What is a wind protected home?? I thought that they increased the building codes to make houses stronger and most of the houses here have been built since that time.
Coastal areas should be better prepared than inland where we are. No?
Old 09-26-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
Don’t forget to charge that Electric car!!
This short video was on The Weather Channel this morning:

How To Evacuate With An Electric Vehicle - Videos from The Weather Channel

I had no idea Florida was 2nd in the nation for EV registrations. California is #1 by a large margin.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 09-26-2022, 06:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Weather Words
“Watch Vs. Warning”

It’s important to remember the difference between a hurricane watch and warning. Both are serious alarms from the National Hurricane Center and deserve to be taken extremely seriously.

Hurricane watch - This means hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours. This is your signal to finish making your preparations and to closely monitor for a hurricane warning.

Hurricane warning - This means that hurricane conditions (sustained winds of 74 mph or greater) are expected somewhere within the specified area within the next 36 hours. All preparations should be complete, and you should evacuate immediately if so ordered.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:35 AM

Make sure all exterior furniture, grills, flags, etc. are secure - best to put in garage. Get a few gallons of drinking water. Make sure you have flashlights and extra batteries. You can also fill a few buckets with water. If you don't need it, no harm done.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:37 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

“Ian is expected to become a Category 4 storm in the Gulf, but wind shear could ‘weaken’ it to Cat. 1 by time it makes landfall,” senior meteorologist Jon Erdman says. "I'm afraid the public may see a weaker Ian landfall forecast and think 'no big deal.'”

Why is this a big deal? Even though it might lose wind speed strength as it nears landfall, Hurricane Ian could grow in size and slow down, which would still mean a life-threatening storm surge and prolonged rainfall and winds. Also, Ian could scrape up a long section of the western Florida Peninsula's coast, bringing storm surge, rainfall flooding and strong winds to places it doesn't even landfall.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This will be my first hurricane (if it hits us).

Before I moved here, I would always see news reports of hurricane prep with people boarding up windows and putting sandbags down.

Do people here board up windows or place sandbags around their homes? Or is that just on the coast?

Should I be watching football this afternoon or getting the house ready? Thanks.
after many many years of being on the coast, getting hit my Irma, etc. This is what I can tell you.

1. There is a reason I don't have trees in my yard.
2. In a CAT 5 (or near) board can be a waste of time
3. do not panic at all, no one really knows what will happen until days before it lands
4. if you do not have a truck, do not go driving around after the storm passes - your car won't be happy
5. if you must - stocking up doesn't work as well as making a large item - I do lentil stew - it's all veggies so if it gets warm there is zero risk - if you have meat then just freeze it and use it in portions (**note do not use fish and poultry in this strategy)
6. Frozen pizzas are great
7. If you have underground power lines - you do not need a generator. IF (big if) you lose power it will be only a hours just don't open the fridge and freezer a lot.
8. Tuck all the cars in the garage,
9. Don't bother to evacuate - the frustration isn't worth it. However IF it was a mandatory - FLY!!!
10. have a LOT of alcohol
11. make sure you take the dog out before the majority of it hits
12. Have fun, enjoy, we just have a party LOL it's really not all that bad at all.
13 . fill your bathtub (might want to clean it first)
14. did I mention - LOTS of alcohol??

oh and for TV by all means DO NOT take the golf cart out afterwards... these people do not hurricane cut the palms so there will be a lot of problems. and possible flodded tunnels.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
after many many years of being on the coast, getting hit my Irma, etc. This is what I can tell you.

1. There is a reason I don't have trees in my yard.
2. In a CAT 5 (or near) board can be a waste of time
3. do not panic at all, no one really knows what will happen until days before it lands
4. if you do not have a truck, do not go driving around after the storm passes - your car won't be happy
5. if you must - stocking up doesn't work as well as making a large item - I do lentil stew - it's all veggies so if it gets warm there is zero risk - if you have meat then just freeze it and use it in portions (**note do not use fish and poultry in this strategy)
6. Frozen pizzas are great
7. If you have underground power lines - you do not need a generator. IF (big if) you lose power it will be only a hours just don't open the fridge and freezer a lot.
8. Tuck all the cars in the garage,
9. Don't bother to evacuate - the frustration isn't worth it. However IF it was a mandatory - FLY!!!
10. have a LOT of alcohol
11. make sure you take the dog out before the majority of it hits
12. Have fun, enjoy, we just have a party LOL it's really not all that bad at all.
13 . fill your bathtub (might want to clean it first)
14. did I mention - LOTS of alcohol??

oh and for TV by all means DO NOT take the golf cart out afterwards... these people do not hurricane cut the palms so there will be a lot of problems. and possible flodded tunnels.
Hey, I think we crossed paths at Publix yesterday looking at your #10 & 14 on the list! LOL Great post...try to relax and remember the MSM hypes up ANYTHING that helps their ratings.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:15 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Yesterday at Sams everyone was buying toilet paper. Water was already gone by the morning.

People will put up signs in front yards half price TP end of next week
I never understood this! Do you poop more during a hurricane? You can't use it for any other purpose, so why ? Buying cases of water? Use your empty/clean milk jugs.
Fill gallon zip lock bags with water, put on baking sheet in the freezer, then if electric goes out, you've got extra time before food will defrost, or use them in your cooler.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:19 AM

It’s is so stupid these people start hoarding when if everyone bought what they needed there would. be enough for everyone
Old 09-26-2022, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyre View Post
Fill a bathtub with water for flushing if the pumping stations lose power.
I have last power numerous times up north - sometimes for days - but the toilets always worked. Do toilets need electrical power in The Villages?
Old 09-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Coastal areas should be better prepared than inland where we are. No?
one would assume so, @ least, let's hope they are
Old 09-26-2022, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
It’s is so stupid these people start hoarding when if everyone bought what they needed there would. be enough for everyone
ever since the covid experience, i have stocked xtra supplies of this sort in the closet. i don't need to shop or hoard, i must have 6 CASES of tp on hand anyway, LOL. also, am willing to share should someone need supplies. let's hope this passes us over & we live happily ever after 😉
Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 AM
Default Hurricane

Quote:
This will be my first hurricane (if it hits us).

Before I moved here, I would always see news reports of hurricane prep with people boarding up windows and putting sandbags down.

Should I be watching football this afternoon or getting the house ready? Thanks.
Being from New England we are used to gloom and doom forecasts of hurricane and nor'easters. Batten down the hatches and watch it veer away, leaving us safe and sound.
Closed Thread

Tags
hurricane, sandbags, windows, prep, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.