hurricane/storm coping??

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Unhappy hurricane/storm coping??

I know this may seem STUPID, but - can anyone help me with
"coping mechanisms" for northerners that FEAR when bad weather comes, for example - Extreme Lightening Storms AND Hurricane Threats.............
Do you just put Headphones on, Crank up the music and Hide in the Bathtub??
What keeps you Frogs from putting the For Sale back up and high tailing it back North?
I Really Appreciate your responses!
Be Kind:-)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Sage
Default Does that mean no jokes???

I don't live in TV yet, but from what I've seen from the posts... For the lightning storms... Most people open a bottle of wine and sit on their lanai and watch the beauty. Unless it's right overhead... then they crawl under their beds!

I was in what was considered the worst hurricane to hit, Wilma, over Cancun. They took us in 10 miles to safety. TV is in much farther then that. So I would think that what you have to worry about the Hurricanes in the winds and the rain. Not nice... but not the end of the world.

The issue with hurricanes I would think are the shoot off tornadoes. I'm told they aren't like what we see in the Chicago area in that they are not like a mile wide but narrower and while they do damage, they aren't as likely to take a whole town out!

Clearly, I don't know what I'm talking about, so hopefully someone else will come on who lives in TV and can give you better information.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Red face hurricane coping

Love the joke.................I'm on my way out to the liquor store right now to stock up on wine:-)
Thanks for the idea!:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

As a Florida native, I've been through several hurricanes in Florida (Andrew was by far the worst), the Bahamas, Belize and North Carolina.

You should not fear these storms, but conversely they shouldn't be taken lightly either. The nice thing about hurricanes (as opposed to tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.) is that with modern technology it is possible to start preparing for storms well in advance. Simple things like having an evacuation bag packed (with prescriptions, important documents, extra cash if the ATMs are out), plenty of supplies on hand (such as batteries, flashlights, canned goods, botled water,gas cans with gas, portable radio, extra ice in the freezer in case power is out for a few days, etc.), and an understanding of where the safest point in your house is located (no or few windows) can all make hurricanes tolerable. If you can afford a small generator (make sure you have gas too in case the pumps are out) it will make you more comfortable.

When I lived in the Keys we used to load up on canned goods (I remember lots of Spam!) during the winter so that we were prepared for hurricane season in the summer/fall. Usually we wouldn't get hit, so we ended up eating lots of canned foods all through late fall/winter/spring.

Give them a healthy respect and hurricanes are nothing to worry about here (New orleans is a different story!).

As far as lightning storms, no need to stress about them. Unplug your appliances, computers and TVs, and relax. When I lived in Panama we lived on a small island that was 90% rainforest. We received over 200 inches of rainfall annually and lightning storms that put any Florida storms to shame. We would close the windows, open the blinds, and witness nature's beauty--lightning displays are beautiful.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum member

DebJim, I moved here from earthquake country, and earthquakes have no warning at all, so I feel relatively safe living here. The most important thing is that you know the storm is coming. The weather stations have warned you for at least 24 hours that a severe thunderstom is coming, and then you can see the dark sky, and it's raining & windy! Time to pay attention!

After you move in, you need to buy a weather alert radio. You can take it to the fire station to have it programmed for your area. Yes, you can do it yourself, but the guys at the fire station are so danged cute! It's well worth the trip just for the eye candy!

You can also sign up to receive a "Code Red" phone call from the sheriff's department. Here's the link: Sumter County, FL - Official Website - Code Red Weather Notification System
This is good to have on your cell phone, because you can get alerts while you're golfing, attending art class, etc. On the other hand, you'll also get the alerts after you go back north & you're nowhere near The Villages.

Next, you decide which area of your home is most secure against flying debris.. the bathroom, the walk-in closet, etc...

Stock your emergency supplies in a tote bag, flashlights, batteries, radio, water, wine, cat food, etc... so you can grab them and head for the closet when the television tells you to get in the closet. The television stations here have excellent severe weather coverage. They can pinpoint the path of destruction by streets in a neighborhood!

Then put on your headphones and don't worry about it. These are the things I do when I know a storm is imminent. I'm sure other folks here have more ideas.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Default hurricane coping

Thank You So Much............that was perfect info - Really!!
Love Your Cat:-)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
....As far as lightning storms, no need to stress about them. Unplug your appliances, computers and TVs, and relax....
cj431...and others:

Re: lightning storms and your pers'l experiences, what are your thoughts, comments, suggestions about surge protectors. Full house? Go through SECO?Etc?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Many of us love a storm. It is wise to have things ready in case it gets awful, but so far, and I am old enough to remember several decades, storms and tornadoes have never personally hurt me or mine.

It is wise to remember that it is very likely that no harm will come to you and have some wine and watch the light show and look at the deep colors of the clouds and hear the thunder.

If you really can't bear all that sturm und drang, go to your interior walk in closet and put on your headphones and if possible take a person who you enjoy with you and a deck of cards and a candle.

Usually storms here don't last very long, and remember what Cappy Jon and others have said about Hurricanes. They are more trouble on the coasts.

It's all good.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Sage

Gracie, more thunderstorms and hurricane damage in New York where I came from than here. I love thunderstorms. Hurricanes not so much.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold member

In 2004 during a hurricane our neighbors put on their motorcycle helmets, went in their master closet and drank wine.
9 months later....nothing happened.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
In 2004 during a hurricane our neighbors put on their motorcycle helmets, went in their master closet and drank wine.
9 months later....nothing happened.
Yeah... we forgot to come out of the closet.

wait.. wut?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
As a Florida native, I've been through several hurricanes in Florida (Andrew was by far the worst), the Bahamas, Belize and North Carolina.

You should not fear these storms, but conversely they shouldn't be taken lightly either. The nice thing about hurricanes (as opposed to tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.) is that with modern technology it is possible to start preparing for storms well in advance. Simple things like having an evacuation bag packed (with prescriptions, important documents, extra cash if the ATMs are out), plenty of supplies on hand (such as batteries, flashlights, canned goods, botled water,gas cans with gas, portable radio, extra ice in the freezer in case power is out for a few days, etc.), and an understanding of where the safest point in your house is located (no or few windows) can all make hurricanes tolerable. If you can afford a small generator (make sure you have gas too in case the pumps are out) it will make you more comfortable.

When I lived in the Keys we used to load up on canned goods (I remember lots of Spam!) during the winter so that we were prepared for hurricane season in the summer/fall. Usually we wouldn't get hit, so we ended up eating lots of canned foods all through late fall/winter/spring.

Give them a healthy respect and hurricanes are nothing to worry about here (New orleans is a different story!).

As far as lightning storms, no need to stress about them. Unplug your appliances, computers and TVs, and relax. When I lived in Panama we lived on a small island that was 90% rainforest. We received over 200 inches of rainfall annually and lightning storms that put any Florida storms to shame. We would close the windows, open the blinds, and witness nature's beauty--lightning displays are beautiful.
Good advice, I know we kept ourselves prepared in the same manner. Oh boy...what a year 2004 was. I'll never forget it. And sitting in the lanai, not a good idea with lightning; you have windows in it or not, you've got metal and you can get struck. Take precautions when it comes to lightning. I almost got struck twice when I lived in FL.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

The last thing I would do is put headphones on! In order to hear whatever one is listening to, the headphones would have to be plugged into something electronic. We unplug ALL of our electronics when lightning threatens. I can't imagine what might happen if the house took a close or direct hit from lightning. What we DO do is leave an inexpensive television on so that we can follow the storm's path. We have a surge protector on the main electrical box and others on some appliances, etc. But, we have been told that should our house take a direct hit by lightning none of these will protect us totally. We know of several people who have lost appliances and electronics because they didn't unplug them during thunderstorms. I suppose you COULD have headphones plugged into a device that is battery-powered. We all have our own ways of dealing with the severe weather here and what seems to work for one person may not for someone else.

I agree wholeheartedly about NOT sitting in a lanai during these storms. They say that lightning can hit from 15 miles away and there is NO protection in a screened lanai. It just amazes us to look out our sliders and watch people teeing off with thunder and lightning near.....we will never risk our lives to get a golf game in. People die down here on golf courses all the time.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

I unplug the expensive electronics and plug in the cheap TV to hear the latest news. If there is a power surge and cooks the cheap TV, well, there is my excuse to throw it away
If the power goes out, I have a portable radio that is solar powered with battery backup.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Gold member

Avoiding the brunt of hurricanes moving across our penensulla (east to west or west to east) was a major factor in my decision to live here in beautiful north central Florida.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.