Hurricane window protection

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Cool Hurricane window protection

Does anyone know the regulations regarding installing Hurricane shutters on a Designer home in TV? Where is the best place to start looking and what is the general opinion of what kind is best?
I have seen a vendor at one of the Craft shows in Brownwood and Sumter Landing demonstration a translucent poly carbonate self install system. I like the translucency of the shutter as opposed to plywood, but not sure about quality.
Would like to hear from others with more experience on the subject.
Thanks
John
Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcm80 View Post
Does anyone know the regulations regarding installing Hurricane shutters on a Designer home in TV? Where is the best place to start looking and what is the general opinion of what kind is best?
I have seen a vendor at one of the Craft shows in Brownwood and Sumter Landing demonstration a translucent poly carbonate self install system. I like the translucency of the shutter as opposed to plywood, but not sure about quality.
Thanks
John
I remember seeing this on Shark Tank. It was pretty impressive and lightweight and supposed to be easy to install. Window & Door Hurricane Protection – Storm Stoppers
Old 08-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Gold member

I have the “Storm Stoppers” system. It was with my home when I purchased 12 years ago. There have only been a few times I have put them on, including last years hurricane. I used to live near the coast, Port Charlotte, and there most all of the homes had the metal shutters. When I moved here I really didn’t plan on having any shutters but they came with the home. They certainly are not rated as high as the metal but for this area away from the coast I believe they are sufficient. The resistance to flying objects penetrating windows is a big plus. They certainly gave me peace of mind last year.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts
Default shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcm80 View Post
Thanks
John
Call Community Standards, 352-751-3912, they will be able to answer your question.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM

I am very interested in this. Please tell me the outcome and cost per window (and don't say... call them... just tell me the $$$). Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
I am very interested in this. Please tell me the outcome and cost per window (and don't say... call them... just tell me the $$$). Thanks
I am also interested in a storm window for my bedroom, primarily for noise reduction. However, I have not found a contractor who will install a custom storm window.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am also interested in a storm window for my bedroom, primarily for noise reduction. However, I have not found a contractor who will install a custom storm window.
Retired guy, if you are just after sound reduction, you might look into plexiglass sheet or Lexan ($$) sheet, you could install your self on the inside of the existing window with Velcro or equal mounting system. The system mentioned in this thread I think is only for temporary installation when a storm is approaching.
I have some ideas for you, if interested send me a PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM

I just looked at these and they are something added during storms, not something I can slide on when needed.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
We have three storm windows on order from Ro-Mac. Two will go in our bedroom for noise and one in the small bedroom which is our (safe-storm) room. Hope to have them installed in September.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have owned here ten years and never needed them including during Irma.

Tags
hurricane, translucency, subject, shutter, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.