People fleeing New York - coming to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Default People fleeing New York - coming to The Villages

I appears that many people from New York are fleeing to escape the high numbers of positive corona-virus residents there. Some are coming to The Villages and are supposed to be self-quarantined. I have concerns that they are not tested before coming here, there is no enforcement of their self-quarantine, that they can go to Walmart, grocery stores, gas stations or any other place that is open. This could cause an explosion of corona-virus here just like there is in New York only with deadlier consequences.
Your thoughts on this?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 AM

All the opinions that you need are here
14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
All the opinions that you need are here
14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC
Thanks, missed it.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Default Solution to infected New Yorkers coming to TV

Simple solution to New Yorkers bringing infection here: an advertising campaign.

"Come on down to Florida. We are having an early summer here, with temperatures in the 90's. You'll sweat those toxins out of your system in our unrelenting humidity and still air. The shuffleboard courts are open and are a temporary respite from the record setting temperatures we are happy to share with you. Forget Arkansas or Georgia. If you want to lose weight and get that Jimmy Buffett weight loss, faint on your feet feeling, Florida is right for you. Oh, and bring your gun, it's the road rage season for New York and Jersey plates!"
Old 03-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

This will definately blow new cases through the roof. Definate lockdown coming. It's no telling the number of new carriers we'll have thanks to these people.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
This will definately blow new cases through the roof. Definate lockdown coming. It's no telling the number of new carriers we'll have thanks to these people.
Yeppers! De Nile is MORE than a river in Egypt.....how very sad that so many will suffer from the few that feel privileged
Old 03-29-2020, 05:28 AM
Default People coming down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I appears that many people from New York are fleeing to escape the high numbers of positive corona-virus residents there. Some are coming to The Villages and are supposed to be self-quarantined. I have concerns that they are not tested before coming here, there is no enforcement of their self-quarantine, that they can go to Walmart, grocery stores, gas stations or any other place that is open. This could cause an explosion of corona-virus here just like there is in New York only with deadlier consequences.
Your thoughts on this?
I think this is a fallacy. Planes are generally empty, airlines are cutting flights and I do not know anyone nor have I heard of anyone, who has come down from New York to escape the virus.
We have many , many cases in South Florida, yet the governor has not imposed restrictions as have been done in other states. Beaches remained open except when closed by local authorities.
Blame others and don’t take steps to protect your own state.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Your thoughts on this?
I think this exodus in going on ways that no one really has data on. I can understand why people in NYC would feel the urge to flee but ... they should not be allowed in. All it does it raise the risk here. I know there's no practical ways to stop them. The RI governor was one of the few who showed leadership.

My opinion is the influx will clearly cause the risk to explode as you say, or at least spike. The first places the refugees go are Walmart, Publix, Walgreens etc as you mention.

People should already have been staying home. This is an even better reason to do so.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
I think this is a fallacy. Planes are generally empty, airlines are cutting flights and I do not know anyone nor have I heard of anyone, who has come down from New York to escape the virus.
We have many , many cases in South Florida, yet the governor has not imposed restrictions as have been done in other states. Beaches remained open except when closed by local authorities.
Don't think you're completely correct. Have heard from several news sources that folks are leaving the tri-state area for here. Heard last night that there will be check points not only coming from Alabama (NOLA celebrants) but also Georgia to catch those from the N.E. IF they should come through they're "supposed to" self-quaranteen for 14 days. People being people...generally don't follow the rules. Yes, we have many cases in this state...but this state also has a lot of tourism. Who knows where the virus started?? NOT always here but elsewhere, which is why the travel bans, border closings etc.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
I appears that many people from New York are fleeing to escape the high numbers of positive corona-virus residents there.

Your thoughts on this?
If New Yorkers come to Florida, it is fine with me.

We assume everyone carries the Corona virus and we try to avoid them at all times.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Heading to anywhere that they can escape. Fear. Hard to blame them. What would you do?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
So, you know everybody in villages, wow. Don’t matter if 1 or 10 on plane, if they are infected they are going to spread the virus 🦠 no matter where they end up.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Rhode Island’s gov Gina raimondo R.I D. Took aggressive steps using the national guard to stop cars on the highway and going door looking for cars with New York plates.
Florida’s republican governor has been so passive compared to Rhode Island
Old 03-29-2020, 07:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Yeppers! De Nile is MORE than a river in Egypt.....how very sad that so many will suffer from the few that feel privileged
They want to come down here since we are not presently ordered to stay at home but they'll soon realize eventually we will here. People think they can out run a virus. Sadly give a few days and you'll see the "curve" fly out like one of my slice shots.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:20 AM
Default Hot spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, you know everybody in villages, wow. Don’t matter if 1 or 10 on plane, if they are infected they are going to spread the virus 🦠 no matter where they end up.
It is spreading throughout the country with many hot spots surfacing... New Orleans , Detroit, Miami.

Are we going to restrict flights from there? Are other states going to restrict flights from Miami and Fort Lauderdale?
Closed Thread

Tags
york, coming, people, fleeing, corona-virus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.