HVAC insufficient in summer

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Default HVAC insufficient in summer

Is anyone else south of 44 having issues with their air conditioning unit cooling the home sufficiently when the temperatures are in the mid to high 90’s?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,440 Posts

No, last summer was very hot and had no problems and all is well currently. I change my filters every 6 months but they really don't need it. Our home has 2,700 Sq. Ft with AC and one bedroom doesn't seem to get as cool as the rest of the house, otherwise fine, we keep it at 75 during the day and 72 at night.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Spend $100 and have your system checked out.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Default Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
Is anyone else south of 44 having issues with their air conditioning unit cooling the home sufficiently when the temperatures are in the mid to high 90’s?
South of 44, all TV HVAC systems shd still be under 5 Year warranty
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

As a quick check, on a hot day, go to the outside unit and feel the copper pipe with the black insulation on it. When the unit is running, the pipe should be cold and sweating. If not, then either the refrigerant level is low, or the compressor is not working.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We just had ours replaced, it was about 15 years old. We had three estimates - each company told us the same thing, that The Villages undersizes their air conditioners. They each recommended we size up. We did, and notice quite a difference. The house cools down much more quickly. As others have said, your unit is under warranty - get it checked out just to make sure there is not a leak. We had a leak the first year we moved in the house, and they had to replace a lot of the piping outside. They also found one section of ductwork that was never connected, and the cold air was just going into the attic crawl space! They put these homes up in a hurry. Things are not always up to snuff.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 PM

Have had Munns here 8 times.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Yes. We had Munns do the thermal testing. They said no problem with the insulation. We keeps the fans on all the time. House does not cool when temps are in mid to high 90’s. Can’t use the oven at all in the summer. Munns & The Villages are telling us if we want another air conditioner we have to pay for it. House is only 1 year old.

Last edited by Ferdy; 03-26-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added sentence
Old 03-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
We just had ours replaced, it was about 15 years old. We had three estimates - each company told us the same thing, that The Villages undersizes their air conditioners. They each recommended we size up. We did, and notice quite a difference. The house cools down much more quickly. As others have said, your unit is under warranty - get it checked out just to make sure there is not a leak. We had a leak the first year we moved in the house, and they had to replace a lot of the piping outside. They also found one section of ductwork that was never connected, and the cold air was just going into the attic crawl space! They put these homes up in a hurry. Things are not always up to snuff.
I don't know about all of The Villages, but my house is 4 years old and the HVAC system is definitely not undersized.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes. We had Munns do the thermal testing. They said no problem with the insulation. We keeps the fans on all the time. House does not cool when temps are in mid to high 90’s. Can’t use the oven at all in the summer. Munns & The Villages are telling us if we want another air conditioner we have to pay for it. House is only 1 year old.
I would call Chuck Farrell, 352-753-9497, and get a second opinion. I think I would also visit a neighbor's house with the same floorplan and compare inside temperatures.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
When it's mid to high 90s outside and you are cooling, what temp do you have it set at, and how close to that does it get?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage

Very important how is your house orientated, we put a barrier to block out the eyebrow window in our den, -we keep our house @ 73 day & 68 @ night year round--our t-stat shuts off which means it is satisfied with temps
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Sage

By Florida code, your HVAC equipment is sized using the so-called Manual J calculation. This is a heat load calculation for your house that considers the home orientation, the insulation, the size and number of windows and doors, etc. For the cooling season, outside and inside temperature and moisture levels will be assumed. The assumed temperatures will be something like 93F outside and 75F inside. The installed equipment (inside air handler, outside condensing unit, and all duct work) should be able to maintain the assumed inside temperature with the assumed outside temperature. The assumed moisture levels do matter since it takes BTUs to condense out moisture.

Your Manual J calculation is on-line but I don't recall the county website. Munns will also have it. I recommend you obtain your Manual J calculation and then arrange a meeting with Warranty and Munns to go over why the installed equipment cannot meet the Manual J assumptions. Now, keep in mind that I don't know what sort of inside temperature you are trying to maintain when it is 95F outside with high humidity. If you are trying to maintain an inside temperature that is well below the Manual J design point then you probably don't have much of an argument. If you cannot maintain the assumed Manual J inside temperature when the outside temperature and moisture match the assumed Manual J values then I believe you have a reasonable argument for some remediation.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 03-26-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage

If you want to maintain a cooler temperature, you can add additional insulation in the attic, add a powered attic ventilator, and install drapes or plantation shutters on your windows. It is not always a good idea to install a larger HVAC unit because it may not run long enough to sufficiently control the humidity.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:02 PM
Angry YES we do !!!!

We've had our vendor come out two times about cooling issues. After getting nowhere, had an outside vendor check the unit and said the ductwork is wrong. They stated the supply vents are to close to the return vents thereby removing the conditioned air before it enters the room. The correct supply vents should be above the windows, blowing toward the window in summer and winter. The return vent should be close to the exit door for the room.
I've learned to live with it because it would cost too much to change now...
Closed Thread

Tags
hvac, conditioning, high, mid, temperatures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.