HVAC Replacement

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2022, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts
Default HVAC Replacement

I did a search on HVAC replacement here without help.

I'm presently gathering price quotes to get our HVAC replaced soon and have a couple questions.

Did I read the government will be giving rebates after January 1st, 2023, anyone
hear that?

What companies did you get a replacement quote from?

I will be checking Sun Kool, Chuck Farrell, Munn's, Mid-Florida, Sunshine.
Any preference on any of these?

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2022, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

I would get a quote from Munn's and Chuck Farrell, but I would probably buy a Carrier unit from Munn's as long as their price was reasonable. Chuck Farrell doesn't install Carrier units, which is the most prevalent system in The Villages. I think Munn's is more capable of responding to repairs and can always get parts. Also, I would buy a single stage compressor, and stay away from 2-stage or variable stage compressors. They are not worth the extra cost and you may have trouble getting repair parts.

Note, that starting on January 1, 2023, contractors must install HVAC units that have a minimum efficiency of 14 SEER in Florida. So, if you don't mind buying a 13 SEER unit, you should be able to get a good discount, because after December 31, the contractors will be stuck with units that they cannot install.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would get a quote from Munn's and Chuck Farrell, but I would probably buy a Carrier unit from Munn's as long as their price was reasonable. Chuck Farrell doesn't install Carrier units, which is the most prevalent system in The Villages. I think Munn's is more capable of responding to repairs and can always get parts. Also, I would buy a single stage compressor, and stay away from 2-stage or variable stage compressors. They are not worth the extra cost and you may have trouble getting repair parts.

Note, that starting on January 1, 2023, contractors must install HVAC units that have a minimum efficiency of 14 SEER in Florida. So, if you don't mind buying a 13 SEER unit, you should be able to get a good discount, because after December 31, the contractors will be stuck with units that they cannot install.
Thanks
I appreciate your feed back
Old 12-04-2022, 10:37 AM

Leo's in Ocala.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Just be aware that R410A is being phased out and the price has skyrocketed. The new freon is R-45B for most manufacturers.

HVAC Refrigerant and SEER Changes in 2023 | Air Conditioner Installation

Can I Retrofit My AC to Use R-454B?
No. Refrigerants operate at different pressures. An R-410a air conditioning or heat pump system will not be calibrated to use R-454b.

Even if you could retrofit your equipment to handle different refrigerants, the cost of doing so would likely approach the price of a new system. Plus, you would more than likely void your existing warranty.

You can save money immediately on utility bills by upgrading today to a high-efficiency system. Plus, you’ll pay less in purchasing costs. Otherwise, wait until 2023 to buy a system with the new refrigerant and SEER ratings.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Default add desantis to your list -

you will find quotes up and down - put make sure permts included AND a full list of work to be done and guarantee on quote..

as well as seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

I'm presently gathering price quotes to get our HVAC replaced soon and have a couple questions.

Did I read the government will be giving rebates after January 1st, 2023, anyone
hear that?

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2022, 11:42 AM

We had our unit replaced about a year ago by M&S air conditioning. We had a Mitsubishi system installed to replace the original Carrier unit. Highly satisfied and would recommend you contact them for a quote and explain the Mitsubishi unit.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

hear that?

Cheers!
We had Chuck replace ours about a year ago. We did get two other bids, none from Munn's. Being from Florida we may have had an advantage over those who move here from far off locations. Though we are not personal friends, we were well aware of the Farrell's and their lengthy reputation for honesty long before the present day Villages was such a huge area. Here's an example, judge for yourself. Farrell's told us there was a quick and inexpensive fix to our problem (turned out to be -0- expense in the end), and that given the age of our unit, it could have another 5 years of life, or could go the next day. The were able to get it working with a simple adjustment and no bill for us, and urged us to wait and see, it was working. Now two other companies proffered that at 18 years "it's pretty well shot and we can repair it but it's going to be expensive".. "How expensive" we asked, "hard to tell until we get into it". So, after Farrell's remedied the problem, with no new parts or expense, another two years passed with no problems ! This was now a 20 year old unit ! We then decided to call Farrell's and have it replaced before another summer season and a possible failure. We did get 2 other bids as I commented, but had already decided if prices for same seer and size units were the same, we would of course go with Farrell's. Pleasantly surprised that Farrell's was the lowest, not by much when you compared the bids.... however, we wanted some additional work done, including changing the drain lines and a couple other things, when considering those extras, Farrell's were more than reasonable. They arrived on time, were extremely efficient, polite, personable (not as important as skilled, but nice), and very pleased with experience so far, but only one year. Regardless of what company you decide on, the difference in the monthly bill for a new unit compared to your old unit will astound you. We were a bit skeptical it would make that much different, but it certainly does !
Old 12-04-2022, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
you will find quotes up and down - put make sure permits included AND a full list of work to be done and guarantee on quote..

as well as seer
Absolutely good advice I hope all who are reading here will follow. Also it takes motivation to examine bids in detail to make certain you are comparing ONLY apples to apples. Check EVERYTHING, not just includes something like "includes replacement with new Honeywell thermostat", Honeywell makes hundreds of MODELS and types. As mamma always said, "do the HOMEWORK", it a mine field out there...LOL ! And one last very important point, don't get too hung up on brand (Trane, Carrier, etc.), again, don't take anyone's word, do your own homework in MANUFACTURERS. You may be surprised to find the various "brands" do not all come from separate manufacturers. It's interesting to dig into that aspect so you understand parts availability, etc.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 12-04-2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add information
Old 12-04-2022, 03:58 PM
Platinum member

Worst part of getting all of these estimates is that all AC Companies send out what I call hard sell salespeople and prices all over the place, mostly due to make, SEER, 1 vs 2 stage compressors, 1-2 speed fans. Remember the more bells and whistles, the more possibilty of problems. Have fun.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Worst part of getting all of these estimates is that all AC Companies send out what I call hard sell salespeople and prices all over the place, mostly due to make, SEER, 1 vs 2 stage compressors, 1-2 speed fans. Remember the more bells and whistles, the more possibilty of problems. Have fun.
I agree. Look at what the builder installs. Carrier unit, single-stage compressor, and an air handling fan with 3 speed settings. Easy to repair and lots of parts available. When your HVAC fails in July, you want it repaired immediately. There was another thread on this website where a poster had to wait months for a computer part because a salesman has sold him a fancy variable speed compressor, that almost no one bought, and it added no real value.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:49 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Munns were really good, replaced system 3 yrs ago.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:03 AM
Default A/C Replacement

Call Good Guys. They do excellent work, and very fair prices. Ask for Mike Labanz. (352) 805 - 0035. Mike lives in the Village of LaBelle. The other guys on his team are: Billy, Brian, and Donnie. They have done work for many neighbors. They just installed a new Carrier A/C system next door-- they are very pleased.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
We had Chuck replace ours about a year ago. We did get two other bids, none from Munn's. Being from Florida we may have had an advantage over those who move here from far off locations. Though we are not personal friends, we were well aware of the Farrell's and their lengthy reputation for honesty long before the present day Villages was such a huge area. Here's an example, judge for yourself. Farrell's told us there was a quick and inexpensive fix to our problem (turned out to be -0- expense in the end), and that given the age of our unit, it could have another 5 years of life, or could go the next day. The were able to get it working with a simple adjustment and no bill for us, and urged us to wait and see, it was working. Now two other companies proffered that at 18 years "it's pretty well shot and we can repair it but it's going to be expensive".. "How expensive" we asked, "hard to tell until we get into it". So, after Farrell's remedied the problem, with no new parts or expense, another two years passed with no problems ! This was now a 20 year old unit ! We then decided to call Farrell's and have it replaced before another summer season and a possible failure. We did get 2 other bids as I commented, but had already decided if prices for same seer and size units were the same, we would of course go with Farrell's. Pleasantly surprised that Farrell's was the lowest, not by much when you compared the bids.... however, we wanted some additional work done, including changing the drain lines and a couple other things, when considering those extras, Farrell's were more than reasonable. They arrived on time, were extremely efficient, polite, personable (not as important as skilled, but nice), and very pleased with experience so far, but only one year. Regardless of what company you decide on, the difference in the monthly bill for a new unit compared to your old unit will astound you. We were a bit skeptical it would make that much different, but it certainly does !
I switched from Sunkool to Chuck Farrell’s about five years ago for maintenance. They are great, honest, and I would use them when our HVAC has to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Default Hvac

BROWNS ARCTIC AIR 352-728-4990

Replaced our unit and they do our yearly check. Great company.
Closed Thread

Tags
hvac, replacement, sun, hear, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.