I am so surprised by the youthfulness demonstrated here on TOTV

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Founder
Default I am so surprised by the youthfulness demonstrated here on TOTV

It is so refreshing. The posters here on TOTV sound like a bunch of 35 year olds. I was so afraid at the start that we were going to be mired down in AARP talk. If you didn't know this was a 55+ community, reading this forum would make you think these were all young adults. I love it.

:#1: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: I am so surprised by the youthfulness demonstrated here on TOTV

Jan, I think you're over-estimating most of us. I'd put us in the early teens. We'll NEVER grow up!!! ;D

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
It is so refreshing. The posters here on TOTV sound like a bunch of 35 year olds. I was so afraid at the start that we were going to be mired down in AARP talk. If you didn't know this was a 55+ community, reading this forum would make you think these were all young adults. I love it.

:#1: :bigthumbsup:
Has anyone seen my walker?
07 said shes sick and tired of wheelin me around the pickle ball court in a wheel chair
Handie :joke:
Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Veteran member

Talk Host, you made me stop and think.

Let's see, at 35 I had to trade my Harley in for a Ford Falcon station wagon and a new refrigerator. Now, I have a new black Road King Classic. When I bought it, I told the dealer to take the stock pipes off and make it sound like a '55. Yeah, I know, I'm the guy that sets off your car alarms when I rumble by. Cool.

At 35 I thought I hung my baseball spikes up forever. Now I have new ones and bought a bat for Village softball that cost more than my first car, a 1949 Pontiac convertible. I'm playing a couple of days a week with great teamates and new friends. The only difference in the caliber of play is that doubles would have been triples, and singles would have been doubles at 35.

At 35, I played golf 5 times a year with a wooden driver and a set of McGregor (Sears I think) irons. Today, I play 3 times a week with a Cobra driver that has a head as big as a cantelope and sounds like an oil can when you hit it. My Callaway irons actually have a 10 iron. Never saw one of those when I was 35. My game is not much better, but, I have a lot more fun.

Did you ever wonder when you were really young and into Rock and Roll, if the songs would still be remembered when and if you made 60+? I used to worry about that a lot when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine firing up my car radio and not hearing Buddy Holly, The Platters, The Beach Boys, Del Vikings, The Drifters and others when I was old. No problem. I hear them in the car, on the Bose system in Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs and new renditions at the gazebos. I mean....how cool is that. To top it off we have these cruise-ins and I see continental kits and fender skirts on vintage cars like the ones we used to look for girls in. Ahhhh, honey, that's until I met you of course.

I've turned the corner on 66...that would be years, not the highway, and going on 21... that would be in The Villages mindset age, not the drinking age.

If I could only find a way to get back my long black hair with the DA and my 34 inch waist...............
Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

ditto cabo35
Old 01-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Cabo, you summed it up well. But one question -- I can understand wanting the thick black hair of 21, but the DA?????? :dontknow:

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-05-2008, 11:58 AM

The Villages Florida

A DA ;D
Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Cabo - what a great post - it brings back memories and now TV keeps those memories alive.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks Cabo35 for the memories, and TalkHost for starting it!

I still feel like a teen on most days, and love hearing the oldies from the VLGS radio station, especially on the weekends. And the Cruise-Ins are great!

I've had very strong reminders of my actual age recently though, while my kids and G'kids were all here visiting. The oldest is a beautiful 15 YO going on 30 - scary! Now that they're gone I can go back to being a carefree "youngster" !! LOL!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I've Had The Same New Year's Resolution For Years

It goes...

I resolve to become more immature faster than I'm growing older.

Think about the result of success on that resolution for a minute.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Veteran member

Cabo,

I loved the post--so did Hubby.

So well said.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Sage

Well said.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 AM

Thanks Jan for a terrific thread and Cabo, cool post. I agree with all of it and have to say that when we came down for our first Lifestyle Preview last August the first thing we noticed was the great music we heard when we got out of our car at LSL. That did it, if we hadn't pretty much made up our minds before we got there, we were sold at that moment. I can't wait until we can move down to TV. Its the one place I truly feel my age......21 forever.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Veteran member

After lying about my age for years (it is pretty hard to be 39 when my oldest is 38) 60 now feels pretty good. What made the change? Every time I go to TV and see all the active, energetic, beautiful people I feel great! So much better than when I actually was 39.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Sage

Still wondering what magic spell TV has on us boomers! Is it really something in the koolaide? All I know is how great it feels to be a kid again, so grateful that there is a paradise waiting for us to grow up in. It truly is never never land and when Im there I am tinkerbell! : sorry, get a little carried away when I think of TV. 040

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.