I could not believe my eyes.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default I could not believe my eyes.

The is morning while walking with a friend at Legacy Lane and Belle Meade, I saw a woman with an unleashed dog. The dog waddled into the front yard of a home at that intersection. The dog wandered all the way up and into the shrubs and bushes directly against the house. The woman walked up into the yard and stood right by the bushes (two feet from the home's front window, 20 feet from the street) and watched as her dog crapped in the bushes. The only thing to her credit was that she had a plastic bag and she bent over into the bushes and rooted around to find the stuff and put it in her bag.

My friend pleaded with me not to say anything, so out of respect to him, I didn't. She is soooooooo lucky that I was not alone. What would you have done?
  #2  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
The is morning while walking with a friend at Legacy Lane and Belle Meade, I saw a woman with an unleashed dog. The dog waddled into the front yard of a home at that intersection. The dog wandered all the way up and into the shrubs and bushes directly against the house. The woman walked up into the yard and stood right by the bushes (two feet from the home's front window, 20 feet from the street) and watched as her dog crapped in the bushes. The only thing to her credit was that she had a plastic bag and she bent over into the bushes and rooted around to find the stuff and put it in her bag.

My friend pleaded with me not to say anything, so out of respect to him, I didn't. She is soooooooo lucky that I was not alone. What would you have done?
Politely suggest she get a leash for her dog for her and her dog's safety from golf carts, cars, and especially other dogs.
  #3  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
Politely suggest she get a leash for her dog for her and her dog's safety from golf carts, cars, and especially other dogs.
What about the trespassing part?
  #4  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
What about the trespassing part?
She might just get defensive if you start talking about laws and such??
  #5  
Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 PM
gfmucci's Avatar
gfmucci gfmucci is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

"...defensive if you start talking about the laws and such?" And that's a problem? Speeders, rapists, murderers, and girls of ill repute get "defensive" when they get called on their anti-social actions. Tresspass is another anti-social behavior - especially next to someone's window 3 feet from the house. What a ploy a "Peeping Tom" could use: Bring the dog. "Oh, I was just walking my dog." Ahh huh.

I know what my wife would do, and it is pretty much what TalkHost was thinking but didn't yet say. And I agree with her!
__________________
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
  #6  
Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 PM
MMC24's Avatar
MMC24 MMC24 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 539
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

She must be a visiting guest at a residents home. I can't imagine a actual resident doing this. Jan, I complement your restraint.
__________________
MI
ME
MA
Viet Nam
CT
TV
  #7  
Old 12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
"...defensive if you start talking about the laws and such?" And that's a problem? Speeders, rapists, murderers, and girls of ill repute get "defensive" when they get called on their anti-social actions. Tresspass is another anti-social behavior - especially next to someone's window 3 feet from the house. What a ploy a "Peeping Tom" could use: Bring the dog. "Oh, I was just walking my dog." Ahh huh.

I know what my wife would do, and it is pretty much what TalkHost was thinking but didn't yet say. And I agree with her!
Hardly the same category as murderers, rapists, whores, etc. as someone who allows her dog to poop in someone else's yard. You are right that this could be a "peeping tom" but from what Talk Host said it hardly sounds like one. They usually have their dog on a leash so that they can get close to the window.

Would not want the TV to turn into some place like New York City or various other locales where neighbors get into lawsuits and/or fistfights about something as petty as poop on someone else's property.
  #8  
Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
gfmucci's Avatar
gfmucci gfmucci is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

I understand the difference between the seriousness of various forms of anti-social behavior - of course they are not all the same. :* My point is that it is common for a lot of people, no matter how minor or egregious the offense, to act "defensive" when they are brought to task.* The possibility that someone may act "defensive" is no reason NOT to point out they are doing something that is unacceptable.* Avoid confronting offensive children just because they might become "defensive" and you will end up with anti-social psychopaths.
__________________
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
  #9  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
nONIE's Avatar
nONIE nONIE is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: De La Vista
Posts: 3,175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Barb, I do with you wholeheartedly but I have to say, It may just be rectified by speaking to the woman. In our area, our dogs pooping on others lawns is not a crime, as long as we are courteous enough to pick it up after, so this is what we are used to. There are new rules to get used to regarding dogs in TV, and sometimes I have to admit I have to remind myself of them. I wouldnt take offense if someone politely and calmly reminded me of them but I probably would get very defensive if I was yelled at. I think alot of people are just doing what they did back in thier hometown and you really do catch more bees with honey then being nasty. A gentle reminder is sometimes the best way to get thru to people.
__________________
Chicago, Il., Upstate, N.Y. Finally a snow FROG

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
  #10  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
I understand the difference between the seriousness of various forms of anti-social behavior - of course they are not all the same. : My point is that it is common for a lot of people, not matter how minor or egregious the offense, to act "defensive" when they are brought to task. The possibility that someone may act "defensive" is no reason NOT to point out they are doing something that is unacceptable. Avoid confronting offensive children just because they might become "defensive" and you will end up with anti-social psychopaths.
You can usually get a better response by being neighborly. Not always though.
  #11  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Autoshow Autoshow is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Let me get this straight??????
People take their dog out to the neighbors yards and front lawns to do their duty,then walk the dog and go back home.(some nerve)
Why not let the dog do his duty on their own lawn,then take the dog for a walk.
I find it very annoying when I see people letting their dogs poop all over the place,especially at the Piedmont post office on Belle Meade.
Also this is for the few that walk their dogs with their plastic bags in there pocket,then if nobody is looking they do not pick up the poop. Who are you kidding we are watching you.
  #12  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
gfmucci's Avatar
gfmucci gfmucci is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Yes, it requires a fair amount of tact and courage in approaching someone doing something clearly inappropriate so as to get the best result in a polite and inoffensive manner. *While any comment or manner of delivering it might be offensive to some people, the possibility of their taking offense or being defensive should not deter us from bringing inappropriate behaviors to their attention.
__________________
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
  #13  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow
Let me get this straight??????
People take their dog out to the neighbors yards and front lawns to do their duty,then walk the dog and go back home.(some nerve)
Why not let the dog do his duty on their own lawn,then take the dog for a walk.
I find it very annoying when I see people letting their dogs poop all over the place,especially at the Piedmont post office on Belle Meade.
Also this is for the few that walk their dogs with their plastic bags in there pocket,then if nobody is looking they do not pick up the poop. Who are you kidding we are watching you.
I always pick up my pooche's poop and it is hard to get a dog to poop on command. Sometimes they do not want to go right away.
  #14  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Yes, it requires a fair amount of tact and courage in approaching someone doing something clearly inappropriate so as to get the best result in a polite and inoffensive manner. While any comment or manner of delivering it might be offensive to some people, the possibility of their taking offense or being defensive should not deter us from bring inappropriate behaviors to their attention.
I do not approach people who are acting in too offensive a manner even in TV. If someone is going bonkers (like an incident of road rage) in my vicinity it is a good idea to get out of there. Fortunately, people having serious mental breakdowns is uncommon in TV.
  #15  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
jtdraig's Avatar
jtdraig jtdraig is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liberty Park
Posts: 510
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: I could not believe my eyes.

:#1: OK, Tal..you get the award for cool, intellectual pictures..many of them!
__________________
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.