I Do Not Agree With This

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Default I Do Not Agree With This

To my neighbors and Friends in The Villages:

On April 8, 2009 the AMENITY AUTHORITY BOARD (AAC) voted to allow local non-Village residents to our recreation center by a vote of 3 to 2.

This means that each support group /club in The Villages will be allowed to have 10 NON RESIDENTS at each meeting or function. There are presently 31 Support Groups/Clubs using our recreation centers with no limit as to how many groups may be formed in the future. Presently, this would allow 310 additional NON RESIDENTS to use our facilities.

These NON RESIDENTS DO NOT PAY OUR AMENITY FEES...and I believe that a Group/Club should be required to pay a USER FEE if they want to bring in Non Residents.

For your information: CDD1 and CDD2 VOTED AGAINST ALLOWING NON RESIDENTS USE OF THE FACILITIES....BUT CDD3, CDD4 AND LADY LAKE VOTED TO ALLOW NON RESIDENTS TO USE THE FACILITIES.

You can contact your Representative and let them know that you do not want NON RESIDENTS using the Recreational Facilities at:

CDD1 CARL BELL 750-1251

CDD2 MARTY ROTHBARD 753-9065

CDD3 JOHN WILCOX 259-4380

CDD4 RICH LAMBRECHT 751-4380

LADY LAKE ELDON SHELDON 750-0198

NOW IS THE TIME TO VOICE YOUR DISAPPROVAL or APPROVAL of wheat the AMENITY AUTHORITY BOARD has authorized with you money. If the action by the AAC upsets you....SEND THIS MESSAGE OUT TO ALL YOUR NEIGHBORS IN THE VILLAGES.

This info was sent to me by a neighbor who attended the meeting and I'm forwarding it.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this one. If they were allowing non-residents to join any TV club, I would highly object. However, support groups are, to me, in a class by themselves.

Imagine you or your child having a serious illness. You live in a relatively small community but there is an active support group geared towards your illness. You cannot attend because you live in the next town over -- the next nearest support group for you is over a hundred miles away. Yes, that community has a right to limit access to only its residents -- they're the ones paying the taxes for the upkeep of that community center. The moral right is another question, though.

I would much rather welcome my neighbor in Leesburg or Summerfield or even Ocala or wherever than ban them from needed support because it would cost a few pennies. Some things should be considered by issues other than dollars and cents. Sorry.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Smile ACC action

I agree 100% with The Red Witch. Heaven forbid it should happen to YOU or ME. Sometimes we have to look beyond $$$$$$$
Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Sage

This topic came up about a week ago. Here's the link to prior thread so you can read the responses posted then.

Non Residents Using Village Recreation Facilities
Old 05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

And, in addition: shame on CDD 1 and 2.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

As far as "medical" support groups go - don't churches and local hospitals run support groups around here? If not, then it would be something to consider.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM

I generally agree with those who object to non resident use of the facilities. However I am single and sometimes date non villagers. Not being able to have my date have access to the facilities interferes with my use of the facilities and is not a fair restriction. I can not even get my date a guest pass. I pay the same amenity fee as a household of 2 or even three. I believe that a fair solution would be to give households of 1, two resident cards. The second card to be used by my guest (date).
Thanks for considering my position.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow What A Ride!"
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

As a strong and vocal proponent of allowing support groups to have "off campus" folks join us at on-campus meetings, I have been and remain concerned that old-fashioned and hide-bound members of the AAC nearly destroyed our efforts.

There are many vocal Villagers who take the approach that "This is our private place and we do not welcome outsiders for any reason whatsoever." I think this narrow and parochial attitude is too too bad, and I apologize for it.

We are now a community of some 75,000 folks. IMHO, we need to drop the old attitudes, embrace some of the new attitudes and truly become "Florida's Friendliest Hometown."

SWR
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM

I am GLAD they approved this....

As a person who does not live in The Villages and loves playing basketball, the only courts around my area are congested with young teens (I'm talking about 25-30 on just 1 court!).... So it's impossible to enjoy playing a game without a TON of harassment....

Now, there is a Villages recreation center with a basketball court off of 466A that NOONE except me ever plays at... I don't cause any harm to anyone, I just try play for awhile and leave... A few months ago I was kicked off because I was not a resident nor was I a family member of a resident with a guest ID....

There's nothing worse than driving by a basketball court that's not used by anyone... I am glad they approved this...
Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this one. If they were allowing non-residents to join any TV club, I would highly object. However, support groups are, to me, in a class by themselves.

Imagine you or your child having a serious illness. You live in a relatively small community but there is an active support group geared towards your illness. You cannot attend because you live in the next town over -- the next nearest support group for you is over a hundred miles away. Yes, that community has a right to limit access to only its residents -- they're the ones paying the taxes for the upkeep of that community center. The moral right is another question, though.

I would much rather welcome my neighbor in Leesburg or Summerfield or even Ocala or wherever than ban them from needed support because it would cost a few pennies. Some things should be considered by issues other than dollars and cents. Sorry.
Well said, redwitch. My guess is most of us friendly villagers agree with you.
I also think some have misinterpreted the ruling. It does not include all amenities, such as basketball. It does include "support" groups.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Well said, redwitch. My guess is most of us friendly villagers agree with you.
I also think some have misinterpreted the ruling. It does not include all amenities, such as basketball. It does include "support" groups.
Wow, so then I have to continue driving by an empty court....

Tax dollars at work!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Red Witch is right!!

I totally misunderstood this when I first read it and didn't realize that it meant SUPPORT groups, which are always helpful to people with illness, trouble and depression and probably including AA and Alanon.

I completely agree with Red Witch. She said it better than I could.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBuckeyeIII View Post
Wow, so then I have to continue driving by an empty court....

Tax dollars at work!
Sorry not your tax dollars but our amenity fees paid by residents for the basketball court. Hope this helps clarify.........
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBuckeyeIII View Post
I am GLAD they approved this....

As a person who does not live in The Villages and loves playing basketball, the only courts around my area are congested with young teens (I'm talking about 25-30 on just 1 court!).... So it's impossible to enjoy playing a game without a TON of harassment....

Now, there is a Villages recreation center with a basketball court off of 466A that NOONE except me ever plays at... I don't cause any harm to anyone, I just try play for awhile and leave... A few months ago I was kicked off because I was not a resident nor was I a family member of a resident with a guest ID....

There's nothing worse than driving by a basketball court that's not used by anyone... I am glad they approved this...
What makes you think you have the right to use TV facilities? It was just that yoo got "kicked off", someone was doing their job of checking ID's.The ACC approved support groups not basketball players! Sorry.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

When we bought last week in Bonita they told us we are CDD 7, so who is our rep?

Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.