I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Default I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

I came across a number of postings about dogs here. It seems feelings run rather strongly about companion animals and often not on the happy side. Makes me sad and wonder what does it say about The Villages? I've always felt a home wasn't as wonderful if there was no animal....... They've always lent a sweetness and lots of love. Responsible owners are important.........very important. Perhaps then people would be more kind.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Default Re: I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Mzmom3,

I don't know if the majority of people in TV have anti dog feelings.
Dogs add longevity to a human life.
Our Henry used to visit residents in an assistant living facility.
I can tell you that Henry had quite a following.
There was a couple of residents who didn't appreciate Henry, but clearly the majority looked forward to his visits.
Henry is retired now and we hope that he will be welcome when we move in 2009.
We are responsible dog owners, perhaps the anti dog feelings are anti irresponsible dog owner feelings.

Liz
Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum member

MZmom3, I too was really sad to read all of the anti dog postings. There are so many dogs in The Villages with good and friendly owners. The anti dog people must be a small vocal minority of those of us who live here.
Tampa, FL
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Founder

Far and away the majority of dog owners in the Villages have wonderful pets, love their animals and keep them under control, but at the same time, respect the rights of other people.

Please do not shift the blame. There is not a group of "anti-dog" people. It is not a dog "unfriendly" community. It is an "anti-irresponsible dog owner" community. You all know, and don't have to be reminded that the actions of the dogs are a direct result of the actions of the owners. Just like unruly kids and parents. This minority group is making the majority of owners look bad

There are some irresponsible dog owners who do not observe the leash rule. There are irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to poop in other peoples yards. There are irresponsible owners who take their animals into large crowds where they don't belong. There are irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to jump onto total strangers. There are irresponsible people who let their dogs ride on their lap while driving cars and golf carts.

It make me sad when somebody exercises their right to voice concern about actions of the irresponsible owners and then are labled "anti-dog" or "troublemaker."
Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Maybe were just lucky. Have been here since Feb. and have not found any irresponsible dog owners yet. Lots of dogs in our neighborhood, but one is nicer than the next as are their owners.
Tampa, FL
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista
Maybe were just lucky. Have been here since Feb. and have not found any irresponsible dog owners yet. Lots of dogs in our neighborhood, but one is nicer than the next as are their owners.
Same with our neighborhood in the Villages. Have not come across an irresponsible dog owner here. They are few and far between. Well, maybe the jumping up when not invited for some local pooches.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

The Villages is know for being dog and cat friendly. I am sorry you have seen negative threads. Our Babe is the one who picked out our courtyard villa. She said she needed a private backyard and we that's what we bought!!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

The Host has it right.

The nature of a lot of these posts is "I have a problem with" or "Something that bugs me is" or "Be on the lookout for." The posts are not meant to draw a line in the sand and dare someone to take issue for-or-against. Nor does the number of posts or respondees indicate a predominant attitude. It's just people being people.

I'm actually glad that there are a number of views and opinions on issues - major and minor. It's very healthy to let out this issues, and most of the times it's going to be more rhetorical than actionable.

Having folk around me who think differently on matters, and most of the time also being open-minded enough to engage in adult conversation about the matters is a positive to me. That's what keeps TV from being "Stepford." Just think about how dull it would be if we were all intellectual clones....

(NOTE: This message was approved by my two terriers...)
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Sage

Just because someone says that they feel that the no-fence convenient should be upheld doesn't make that person anti-dog. I have never read an 'anti' dog post in my time on TOTV.

Anti-poop in my yard - Yes. Anti-don't break the convenient - Yes. But Anti Dog? Never.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sorry, here comes the anti-dog contingent. My cats HATE dogs. They would merrily claw every doggy that walks by their lanai. They get really mad when Chloe, the bison, or Sam, the lion-cut sheltie, go by and I'm home because I'm running out the door to go pet these curs. Chloe gets so excited, she even piddles on my driveway. Sam just waits for his treat. He'll now bark to let me know he's on his way so I have it handy. But the cats find all of this very disturbing. They don't want Sam to bark. They don't want Chloe to leave her scent anywhere within 50 miles of their home.

So, I'm truly sorry folks, but there IS an anti-dog contingency and I'm afraid that I have contributed to it. Please forgive me because I truly do love almost all critters (just keep the lovebugs, flies, crickets and grasshoppers far, far, far away from me).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Sounds like the Grandchildren thread all over again.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Sage

touche, witchy woman, way to put it into proper perspective.

I am not a dog owner but enjoy all the cute neighborhood dogs and see the owners acting very responsibly.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Banned

Hmmm.... Anti-cat - there's a REAL topic (LOL) !
Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
Hmmm.... Anti-cat - there's a REAL topic (LOL) !
They are usually indoors though, SteveZ? Have not seen a catwalker in TV yet. I suppose it will happen though.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

...screaming children in restaurants...another "irresponsible owner" problem. To me, this is the equivalent of barking dogs at 11 PM.

Cats...in our existing neighborhood in another part of the state, cats roam freely outside, doing what they do, killing birds, climbing fences, leaving their leavings anywhere a roaming dog would. (not a roaming Dogwood, that's a portable potted tree, not potted in the sense of being stewed, but potted in the sense of being self-contained, but I digress...)

Are cats in TV contained within their property, or are they allowed to roam as in "semi-ferrel?"
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.