I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Cats are supposed to be kept indoors. There are some feral and some irrresponsible owners who let their cats roam. My girls have pretty much let me know that moving will not be an option. They've never had a lanai before and just know they're in kitty heaven.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
...screaming children in restaurants...another "irresponsible owner" problem. To me, this is the equivalent of barking dogs at 11 PM.

Cats...in our existing neighborhood in another part of the state, cats roam freely outside, doing what they do, killing birds, climbing fences, leaving their leavings anywhere a roaming dog would. (not a roaming Dogwood, that's a portable potted tree, not potted in the sense of being stewed, but potted in the sense of being self-contained, but I digress...)

Are cats in TV contained within their property, or are they allowed to roam as in "semi-ferrel?"
They seem to be indoors all the time with a few exceptions.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

I have cats and I also feed some strays that come to my deck. Not being a TV resident (yet) I can only say there are no bad/mean/unruly pets; there are unruly pet owners.

Dogs and cats do not have a voice - they depend on us. Feral or stray cats became this way because some human tossed them outdoors and abandoned them. Same with dogs; we have had puppies dumped here because people think we're all rich and can take care of them. Its' sad and disgraceful.

I will never ever let a cat go hungry. I trapped the two that come to my deck and did a TNR (trap, neuter, release). These cats are too feral to be domesticated and the only life they know is outdoors. As long as they have food, they can survive the elements and have done so for the last four years.

Stray dogs and cats didn't ask for this life; it's a matter of survival when they come begging for food.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
I have cats and I also feed some strays that come to my deck. Not being a TV resident (yet) I can only say there are no bad/mean/unruly pets; there are unruly pet owners.

Dogs and cats do not have a voice - they depend on us. Feral or stray cats became this way because some human tossed them outdoors and abandoned them. Same with dogs; we have had puppies dumped here because people think we're all rich and can take care of them. Its' sad and disgraceful.

I will never ever let a cat go hungry. I trapped the two that come to my deck and did a TNR (trap, neuter, release). These cats are too feral to be domesticated and the only life they know is outdoors. As long as they have food, they can survive the elements and have done so for the last four years.

Stray dogs and cats didn't ask for this life; it's a matter of survival when they come begging for food.
I am not aware of any stray dogs in the Villages except for an occasional
"lost" pooch.

I have heard of coyotes in parts of the outskirts of TV. Did not an alligator kill a coyote or vice versa according to a Villages Daily Sun article a ways back?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Roaming cats, whether fed or unfed is as bad as roaming dogs...they all cause problems for neighbors not wanting to be subject to what roaming animals do (deficate, kill other animals, bark, howl or scream in the night, etc.). It is irresponsible to feed ferel animals, no matter how kind-hearted you think you are being. And justification just because it is a "cat" that can't be domesticated is no justification at all.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Aren't little Kitties and Doggies wonderful.. At night they are so much fun to watch as they tear into my trash bags and spread trash all over my beautiful driveway and I SO look forward to the morning when I can go out and clean it up ...And the little doggies are very talented as they are now so educated and pampered that they can poop and pee in little artistic patterns all over my front lawn ......I just love them so that it makes me want to hug them VERY HARD .... ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Pet Loving Fumar
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Veteran member

fumar...I need to be your neighbor...we would make a great team!!
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Veteran member

well said fumar.......
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

It is irresponsible to feed feral animals, no matter how kindhearted you think you are being. And justification just because it is a "cat" that can't be domesticated is no justification at all.

I hardly consider myself irresponsible and where I always try to see the good in people, I take your remark as a person who needs to be educated about why feral cats (and I'll just focus on cats) are a nuisance to people who don't know how to deal with strays.

I feed feral cats but I also trap them and have them fixed. It's called a trap, neuter, release. If I'm going to take the responsibity of feeding them, the humane thing to do is to have them fixed so they don't bring you litter after litter. There are many no cost clincs that believe in helping stray animals.

Read this, maybe it will help you deal with ferals that "bother you"

http://indyferal.org/Literature/Nuis...ion%20Tips.pdf

Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Talk Host, SteveZ, RussBoston, 8fmucci, The Great Fumar
nanci2539 - ever heard of rabies? Our pets get their rabies shots. Do the Ferrel cats? Want your grandchildren to pet one?
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-22-2007, 12:25 AM

Tal,

Very informative link.
That site contains so much good information that I never knew.

Liz
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewstanley
Tal,

Very informative link.
That site contains so much good information that I never knew.

Liz
Thanks. Here it is again. I was doing some editing. http://www.metroanimal.org/feral/main.shtml
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Veteran member

nanci makes my point.* Somehow (and true, I don't get it -* and I've read all sorts of feral cat literature) cat proponents believe that just because the animal is a cat (spayed, neutered or the King of Siam) they are justified in promoting the free roaming of those animals throughout the neighborhood.* I think that is wrong.* Why not the free roaming of dogs that are spayed or neutered?* Guinea Pigs, Hampsters, Rats, Buffalo, Ferrets?* Why cats?* What special qualities do cats have that* their "defenders" find on which to base their rationale - other than their biased defense of their favorite animal's "natural tendency" to roam freely?* Well, every animal has the natural tendency to roam freely.* But does that justify it?* Hardly.* It is just disrespectful to your neighbors.

Yes, Cliff, I've heard of rabies.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Sage

I have been feeding feral cats for years and would not consider them as "free roaming" as they generally stay in my yard or close to my house. My next door neighbor complained that they killed her Koi fish but it turned out to be a free roaming raccoon.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Veteran member

"...as they generally ??? stay in my yard or close ??? to my house. "

Cats can be very general animals...and they stay close to home, usually not more than 4 or 5 neighbors away.-* in all four directions. ;D
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.