I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: I don't understand such strong "feeling" against dogs

Wow! Poor kitties!!! Jan, you can now safely say that there are serious negative comments about cats.

Personally, I love my cats. Wouldn't give one of them up for anyone or anything. But, then, I loved my snake, my tarantula, my Old English, my Afghan hounds (and if there ever was a dumber dog created, I really would like to know what it is), my dad's beagles, my St. Bernard, my poodle, my 2 guinea pigs, 3 rats and 1 ferret. I even liked the skunk family that lived under my neighbor's townhome (probably wouldn't have loved them as much had they lived under my portion, but hey!).

Those that trap, neuter, release feral cats normally make sure they are immunized for rabies and feline leukemia, at least those that I know do. Should they be allowed to roam? Of course not! They live longer, better lives in loving homes. But most feral cats do not do well in homes. They are usually terrified. If they are fed, they rarely kill other animals. As to their defecating, at least they bury their messes. Hopefully, we won't get into discussions about what kitty urine can do to a lawn, especially since Florida has to have the ugliest grass I've ever seen -- heck kitty urine patterns in it might just be an improvement!

In the SF Bay Area, we had a pretty good solution. Feral cats would be trapped and neutered. Those that could be tamed to live in homes were put up for adoption. Those that could not were left to be feral but moved to a new location -- the federal women's prison/camp in Dublin. It was my understanding that the cats there were treated with love and many would happily come and cuddle with these women. In return, the Feral Cat Society would provide food, medical and flea treatments for the cats. Since the cats were neutered, the feline population did decrease and the last I heard they were down to about 25 cats there. It really seemed like a great solution for all.

I don't know how many feral cats there are in TV. I know I've seen a couple of cats around my home but I'm not sure if they're feral or just cats visiting the new girls on the block. They're cute cats and look well fed but I do wish their owners were more responsible and that, my friends, is where the responsibility belongs -- ON THE OWNERS. Don't blame the animal whether it be dog, cat or even alligator. They are doing what nature intended. It is up to the humans in their lives to make sure they do what nature intended in appropriate manners and in appropriate places.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Sage

gf:

Apparently you have no prob with free roaming raccoons.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Veteran member

I forgot to mention them... ;D* *True - they are pretty much in the same cat-egory* 1rnfl

I'm curious, do the community "rules" treat roaming of stray cats differently from roaming of stray dogs?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
art_cpa

I can't imagine why anyone would be anti-dog.
:bigthumbsup:
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Sage

I couldn't care less about this thread but maybe someone needs to find the defintion of feral since it has been tossed around all over this post. It does not mean a cat or dog without an owner. It does not mean just some poor kitty who has lost her way. I love both cats and dogs but feral animals are just that.

From Dictionary.com:

1. existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.
2. having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
3. of or characteristic of wild animals; ferocious; brutal.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_cpa
I can't imagine why anyone would be anti-dog.
:bigthumbsup:
Gotta say, love the picture.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Those that trap, neuter, release feral cats normally make sure they are immunized for rabies and feline leukemia, at least those that I know do.

Yes. I make sure any cat I trap has a wellness test first. And yes, I am familiar with rabies and educated animal lovers would never handle a stray, feral or lost animal without using caution and/or gloves.

My ferals are given shots with one of those being rabies.

I trapped a beautiful cat three years ago. She came to my window and peeked in every night. It was mid winter and freezing. I put a shelter outside and made sure she was fed. A stray cat can find shelter but without adequate food, they can succumb to the elements of winter.

I trapped her; had her fixed and checked out. She was fine. My intent was to let her go after a few days but there was something about her that caught my heart. Missy is now my best friend and follows me around constantly. She brings me more joy than a lot of my human friends!

A cat born outside becomes feral in less than six weeks - why? Because they don't have human contact and have never experienced the touch of a human hand. There actions of hissing and growling are a survival instinct and also fear.

A feral cat has an approximate life span of 6-7 years. Any stray that comes to me will be fed.

Did anyone catch the story in the Sun this week about the woman who rescues strays. There's a place in heaven for her!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
Those that trap, neuter, release feral cats normally make sure they are immunized for rabies and feline leukemia, at least those that I know do.
Did anyone catch the story in the Sun this week about the woman who rescues strays. There's a place in heaven for her!
Nanci, blessed are those who protect the victims of society. :bigthumbsup: I applaud your efforts and your loving heart.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't know how we ever got on the subject of feral cats, but, it also amazes me that people interpret these comments as anti-dog. Folks, it is anti-ignorant dog OWNERS. Nobody blames the dogs. We blame the :edit: who allow the dogs to run free (against the law) and trespass on the property other than the property owner's. Hard to make it any clearer than that. Open your minds and allow a little light to enter. I love dogs but I only want MY dog to do his business on my property. I bought and paid for the land, it is mine and not yours, and I don't want your dog doing his business on it. :cop:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Those who attract, feed, and leave strays to roam about the neighborhood will be lectured by the pearly gate police on how to be a good neighbor before they are let into heaven on probation!
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Veteran member

Those who attract, feed, and leave strays to roam about the neighborhood will be lectured by the pearly gate police on how to be a good neighbor before they are let into heaven on probation!

Some people like cats, some don't. Same with dogs.

Story I mentioned tells of a woman who rescued a cat that was shot in the back. Animal cruelty is a crime - at least it is here in IL. Hurt an animal, you are heavily fined and most cases involve time in jail.

It's freezing here this morning - not even 25. The wind has the temps in the single digits.

At my window was Blackberry, a black stray cat that I feed. He was "chatting" with my cats and shivering. I brought two dishes of food (canned and dry) and I heated the canned food for him so at least he would get some warmth.

I'm not trying to bargain my way into heaven - I just can't turn my back on any animal in need.

I don't know what that makes me, maybe just an animal lover!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:

Some people like cats, some don't. Same with dogs.

Story I mentioned tells of a woman who rescued a cat that was shot in the back. Animal cruelty is a crime - at least it is here in IL. Hurt an animal, you are heavily fined and most cases involve time in jail.

It's freezing here this morning - not even 25. The wind has the temps in the single digits.

At my window was Blackberry, a black stray cat that I feed. He was "chatting" with my cats and shivering. I brought two dishes of food (canned and dry) and I heated the canned food for him so at least he would get some warmth.

I'm not trying to bargain my way into heaven - I just can't turn my back on any animal in need.

I don't know what that makes me, maybe just an animal lover!
Good for you. They are all God's creatures after all. :bigthumbsup:
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Good for you. They are all God's creatures after all. :bigthumbsup:
[/quote]

Well thank you, that was a very sweet remark. Animals don't have a voice. Humans can let you know if they are hungry, in pain, etc. A cat that comes to my window shivering in the cold is helpless and depends on kind humans. Same with dogs. Just a few years ago a beautiful puppy was dumped in our cul d' sac. The poor animal was scared out of his mind. We all stood around voicing our concern and ideas. My next door neighbor picked him up and said she would take care of him. What a beautiful loyal friend and companion he is today.'

So even though I am focusing on cats, there are mean people out there who toss aside dogs too.

Oh well, enough said; thanks for the positive comments.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 AM
Sage

gf:

Does that mean that I can't have a bird feeder either?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
gf:* Does that mean that I can't have a bird feeder either?
That depends.* If you had a bird feeder that contained 20 lbs. of seed, had 20 feeding holes in it that attracted and fed 500 birds a day that pooped all over your neighbors patios, I would say "probably not."* The ruckus and mess created by how many birds equals the ruckus and mess created by one stray dog or cat in the neighborhood?* So it pretty much depends on if you give a hang or not about your neighbors, doesn't it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.