I Guess I Didn't Realize What "Snowbird Season" Meant

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Guess I Didn't Realize What "Snowbird Season" Meant

Maybe we were too buy getting settled in our new home this time last year. But this year I'm coming to know what "snowbird season" means. (All due respect to those readers who are snowbirds!)

After New Year's the traffic in TV picked up perceptably...going to the country clubs for dinner without an hour wait? Forget it...my wife and neighbor tell me they have to go at least 30-45 minutes early to get into the attendance-limited yoga classes...there's a line at the pools half an hour before the scheduled water aerobics classes...all the good movies sell out early...trying to get within 2-3 blocks of Lake Sumter Landing when Rocky & The Rollers are performing? Oh my...tickets for good performances during "the season" from the box offices? Better get there during the first couple of days the tix are on sale...and then there's the golfer's lament(s)...even the plop-plop sound of the pickle ball games in the morning seems to be getting louder.

I guess maybe it's this way all over Florida during January-February-March. Now I know why the old-timers around here gently complain about this time of year and can't wait until it gets warm up north and TV empties out a bit. I guess I'll join them and work on the unread book pile.

Not complaining...just kvetching.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: I Guess I Didn't Realize What "Snowbird Season" Meant

Sure you don't want to say you're just complaining and not kvetching?

kvetch (kvch) Slang
intr.v. kvetched, kvetch·ing, kvetch·es
To complain persistently and whiningly.
n.
1. A chronic, whining complainer.
2. A nagging complaint: "a rambling kvetch against the system" Leonard Ross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Yiddish kvetshn, to squeeze, complain, from Middle High German quetzen, quetschen, to squeeze.]

But things do seem a little more difficult to do now. Personally, I'm enjoying the more people. It may make some inconveniences but it also gives me more people watching and a chance to meet more people. Seems like a good tradeoff to me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM

This is the time of the year that we stay home more. When going out to eat we go at unpopular times like between 3pm and 5pm. Have not had a problem getting tee times on the Evecutive course but we do give a long stretch of time that can be chosen from. One time I only gave an hour and a half window and did not get the tee time but that is the only one. We have a group that gets together for cards at one of our houses. We try to leave the car at home and use the golf cart. We survive but are happy when things calm down.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

While I agree that the snowbird migration creates some inconveniences, the alternative would be a harbinger of unpleasant significance. Snowbirds reinvigorate the off season economy, add vibrancy and life to the downtown and to a large extent, underwrite facilities and benefits of scale we enjoy in and around the Villages. How much fun would Rocky and the Rollers be with a crowd of six?

Snowbirds help spread the word about the Villages to insure its prosperity for decades and let's not forget that their limited presence helps pay the bills for the amenities we enjoy year round. Another positive reflection would be those off season perks we just love to enjoy. Reduced golf fees, uncrowded restaurants, cruising Buena Vista with nothing to worry about but the occasional radar trap.

Hey, without the snowbirds, the Villages might still be beautiful, pristine land with pure natural water, gently rolling cattlegrazing pastures mixed with watermelon fields, horse farms and no exhaust fumes. Hmmmm.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks cabo35 ... I'm a snowbird and I thank you for your kind words. We really are not here to make life more difficult for Villagers, we're just here to enjoy for a little while what you Villagers get to enjoy all the time.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:57 PM

I am finding that the more restrurants and things are built the shorter the lines and waiting times. Even though our population will grow, aren't we about 75% full. Look at all the land in Buffalo Ridge to be filled in and the new Crossroads Shopping center and 466-A and 44. Lots and lots of room. And think what your house will be worth when we are all filled up and people have to wait to get in.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Everyone's Comments Are Correct, Of Course, And...

...I should have looked up the definition of "kvetch". I surely did not intend to say that I'm "persistently complaining and whining". Everyone is welcome for sure. And everyone, even the temporary visitors, are faced with the same minor inconveniences. I'm certainly not so badly inconvenienced as to temper my enthusiasm for "Florida's Friendliest Hometown"!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM

It has its advantages. I do get alot more reading done now that we stay at home more.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Sage

..and, let's all be thankful that this is such a golf cart accessible community. Can you imagine what the traffic would be like if everyone had to use cars to get everywhere?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Sage

Kahuna,

I come from a long line of Kvetch's, and I found your use of the term very amusing.

I think it was used appropriately.LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Eternal Member

I have no problem when the snowbirds, or “seasonal residents” as they are more PC known, arrive. One trick is to eat at really lousy restaurants. Sure there’s a crowd, but it’s not that bad. :: And there is an abundance of bad places, both on and off campus. You want Country Club dining, try Havana. There’s never a line nor will you ever get a snooty or inattentive waiter. You might want to bundle up on colder evenings, but the view can be breathtaking. :2cool:

Tired of the crowds on the squares when Rocky or another popular group is playing? I’ve found if you arrive any time after 9:15 or so, you can park just about anywhere you like. And there’s all the room you want on the dance floor. And it is much quieter.

Getting a tee time is difficult if you insist on playing a specific course during a real tight window. That’s understandable if you unrealistically expect to play in daylight on an actual golf course. I’ve found that even the best courses in the community are just about empty after 7:00 PM during the winter. You can almost walk right on. And if you have this thing about daylight, just be a bit creative. Sure the recognized courses are crowded, but look at those wildlife preserves. Hate doglegs? No problem, you create your own holes. And what practice playing from the rough! And you don’t get any of those pesky points. :cop: (Beware of gators. They have no sense of humor, but will let you play thru.)

Some people complain that even the churches get packed during snowbird season. I find that preposterous. I get out every morning at sunrise, go to the grove, and worship the Horned God and there’s never anyone around but me (and some squirrels, feral cats, and sand hill cranes). No parking problems and I can go straight from there to Cracker Barrel when they open for a big breakfast. There is a bit of a crowd at Winter Solstice and I expect many more worshippers this Friday for Imbolc. (We may sacrifice a virgin, if we can find one. :yikes

So, all in all, snowbird season isn’t really that bad if you’re flexible and plan ahead.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Having not experienced this phenomenon yet, can some one explain the season. When do the birds start arriving and when does the tide start to fall. We will be full time villagers beginning Saturday afternoon, so I guess I will be arriving at the peak of the season. I look forward to meeting everyone I can before they leave. Yes, I would hate to have to drive a car with the kind of crowds you are describing.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

I can appreciate the comments concerning the crowds in the winter. Living in a resort shore town it's just the opposite. Dead down here now, but June, July and August, "THEY" come--beach tourists--in bathing suits (sometimes not a pretty site),and the worst--drunk college students on their sumer off! You don't even want to go there!!!

It can get ugly
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

I can always tell when the "Season" has arrived. That's when I have to sit through the light at El Camino and Enrique drive 4 to 5 times on my way home for lunch from work on 441. During the rest of the year I can make it home in ten minutes.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 AM

Make room for a few more on Friday. We are in tv for the month of February and promise not to bother any of you "full timers"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.