I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
The Warranty Department CAN tell you who your builder was and he can tell you what contractor he subcontracted for the roof. They might even have that information. Knowing might at least tell you who NOT to have do the repairs or re-roofing. They helped me when I was having no luck with plumbers for a repeatedly stopped up kitchen by telling me that the original plumbing was done by Mike Scott Plumbing. One call to them fixed the problem (seems dry wall people cleaned up their stuff in the kitchen sink). Even though the problem was ongoing for a couple of years, they submitted their bill as a warranty claim. Never heard another word and have used Scott Plumbing for other normal occasional needs since. (Our house was built in late 2003, early 2004.)
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Someone on here stated that these shingles require 6 nails ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) Was just observing a new roof being installed in Osceola. Each shingle was receiving 4 nails.
If anyone on here is interested, the house being worked on is opposite the Osceola Hills mail station/pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that was 3 nails in the shingle and 3 nails coming from the shingle on the top of it for a total of 6 holes in the shingle.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM

I will definitely join you in the fight. I purchased a three-year old home in June. I lost shingles in two areas; one 8' x 16' , and the other5'x 10'. It is obvious from looking at the shingles that they never sealed and most of them, the button nails were pushed all the way through on installation. I sent the warranty department a repair request on the website but of course, got the "storm damage is not covered" response. I selected the 2% hurricane insurance so I will be paying out of my pocket to repair it. When the next storm blows through I will have the same problem so I want my roof inspected and if installation is negligent, the entire roof redone.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear223 View Post
I will definitely join you in the fight. I purchased a three-year old home in June. I lost shingles in two areas; one 8' x 16' , and the other5'x 10'. It is obvious from looking at the shingles that they never sealed and most of them, the button nails were pushed all the way through on installation. I sent the warranty department a repair request on the website but of course, got the "storm damage is not covered" response. I selected the 2% hurricane insurance so I will be paying out of my pocket to repair it. When the next storm blows through I will have the same problem so I want my roof inspected and if installation is negligent, the entire roof redone.

Contact these people, they need numbers

Property Owners' Association of Florida

Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
The Warranty Department CAN tell you who your builder was and he can tell you what contractor he subcontracted for the roof. They might even have that information. Knowing might at least tell you who NOT to have do the repairs or re-roofing. They helped me when I was having no luck with plumbers for a repeatedly stopped up kitchen by telling me that the original plumbing was done by Mike Scott Plumbing. One call to them fixed the problem (seems dry wall people cleaned up their stuff in the kitchen sink). Even though the problem was ongoing for a couple of years, they submitted their bill as a warranty claim. Never heard another word and have used Scott Plumbing for other normal occasional needs since. (Our house was built in late 2003, early 2004.)

Good info.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Feel your pain

I feel your pain. We just had Sack Roofing and I can't say enough for them. They are very busy and therefore will probably not come for a day or more but they are worth it. They did send a "roofer" who did a great job and was very reasonable and fair. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend them to a friend. As an aside, I never knew them or anyone in the business until I needed this work done.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

I lost about 12 shingles on a 17mo.old home. Neighbors say they weren't nailed properly and inspector AND the roofer say they are not sealing properly. Now I sent in the shingles plus pics and am waiting. I don't want them to hand seal, I want a new roof. Warranty says they are not responsible. NOW WHAT??. I wish there was a class action suite against the The Villages AND CertainTeed!!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by massapequa girl View Post
I lost about 12 shingles on a 17mo.old home. Neighbors say they weren't nailed properly and inspector AND the roofer say they are not sealing properly. Now I sent in the shingles plus pics and am waiting. I don't want them to hand seal, I want a new roof. Warranty says they are not responsible. NOW WHAT??. I wish there was a class action suite against the The Villages AND CertainTeed!!
12 Shingles. Hurricane. Eye of Hurricane. Class Action. Wants a new roof. 12 Shingles.

OIC

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:53 AM
Veteran member
Default The Facts Matter; Opinions Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massapequa girl View Post
You need to know who your builder was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
12 Shingles. Hurricane. Eye of Hurricane. Class Action. Wants a new roof. 12 Shingles.
OIC
According to Massapequa girl's post, two professionals said that her roof shingles were not sealed properly. One would assume this is indicative of an entire roof having problems.

If this be the case, it doesn't matter if it was twelve shingles or two hundred.
A lousy installation is a lousy installation regardless of the number of lost shingles.
She should have a professional give her a written report if her entire roof was not done correctly.
A 17-month old roof should not have issues.

The Villages is taking no responsibility for the many home owners who have roof issues where professionals have stated shingles have been incorrectly installed.
You have read about all these issues.
So why would you crucify this lady regarding the twelve shingles?
She has every right to want a new roof on a relatively new house, if her entire roof has been installed like the twelve she lost.

Those who are in a guessing mode shouldn't shoot from the hip.
If improper installation is factual, she should become part of a class action, start a class action or get her own attorney.
She will win!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
I lost about 6 shingles. House is 3 years old. Cost $350 for the repair. We had about 6 houses out of 25 on my street that lost shingles. One of those had substantial interior wall board damage from the leaky roof.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Don't want to get into a long comment but I didn't lose a single shingle here in TV of Charlotte. To answer your question about being rip off about the work that needs done on your house, I agree. Personally I think everyone of the contractors, handy men or anyone that does the work are taking advantage of some of the work that needs done. Like my neighbor that wanted 10 or 12 bushes that was just planted. He wanted them moved a about a ft. or 2 & these bushes could of been pulled up by hand but the contractor that gave him an estimate on moving them wanted $1,200. Yea, that's a rip off. Also what you wanted done to replace a few shingles was a rip off too. These repair people really are taking advantage of us retirees & senior citizens. I fact we've got a realtor looking for a home back in Ohio. It's just not TV's it other things like Ins. monthly bills. Believe me it's a shame that we let things bother us like this because TV is really a Disneyland for retirees!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM

One of our three domed roof vents was ripped off by the winds, but no shingle damage. None of our neighbors lost roof vents. The domed cover should be attached with three screws to a supporting frame. Clearly, my damaged vent was attached with only two screws. Two of the three holes om the sheet metal cover were elongated, one hole was perfectly round, just as it came from the factory. The supporting frame had only two screws still in it. The Warranty Department (our home is still withing the one year warranty period) gave me the name of the roofer who built our house. He came to investigate and would not even listen to my assessment - just said "hurricane damage, tough luck and $600 to fix it". We got it done by another roofer for $450. The Warranty Department wouldn't help with an appeal, but only gave me the name of another roofing company they use.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

The Warranty Department is an arm of the developer and they (the Warranty Dept.) get their orders from him.
I find it unconscionable that Morse has turned his back on all the faulty roof problems and not stood by all the residents who pad his pockets!
This lack of acknowledgment is disgusting and this shows the true colors of what any of us residents can expect when the chips are down . . . for us!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
The Warranty Department is an arm of the developer and they (the Warranty Dept.) get their orders from him.
I find it unconscionable that Morse has turned his back on all the faulty roof problems and not stood by all the residents who pad his pockets!
This lack of acknowledgment is disgusting and this shows the true colors of what any of us residents can expect when the chips are down . . . for us!

Not directed towards you

First mistake: thinking that any business has a conscience
Second mistake: trusting any business
Third mistake: believing in this benevolent dictator crap
Forth mistake: thinking anything will get solved on this platform

Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM

My home is 3 and a half years old. I had about 10 to 15 percent of the shingles come off. In addition to that, the paper under the shingles was "sliced" in several places, so a lot of water got into the house causing extensive drywall damage. The roofer who replaced the damage said he has never seen that before, and that it definitely wasn't caused by shingles coming off. He believes it was done by a disgruntled worker.

In addition to that, my Villages insurance agent wrote a policy with a 2% deductible, rather than the $500 many people have which costs about $120 more per year. She never told me there was another option, though I did go back and find something buried in my insurance materials stating that companies must offer $500, 2%, 5% or 10% coverage. The people who happened to end up with $500 deductible policies weren't offered any option either - that is just what they got. If you have a 2% deductible, I would recommend you call your agent now, but be aware the deductible will only change at the beginning of a calendar year, and you cannot change the deductible on your existing policy except on your renewal date. You can cancel your entire policy and start a new one with a new deductible, but that will be more expensive.

I was screwed by both the roofer and insurance agent.
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, roofing, seal, lost, shingle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.