I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
Since I know nothing about roofing or shingles, would you mind telling me where the nail holes should be on the shingles for further reference in case we find ourselves in your situation? Thank you
Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
Is your roof repaired or at least tarped, I hope, with the rain expected this weekend?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM

I have excately experience and situation. What we can do? I will join you.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:50 PM

I agree!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 PM

How to send you a private message?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Default massapequa girl

Have the same problem on a 14mo. old roof...the rep. is coming out on Mon.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Has there been any action on a proposed class action against Certain Teed or the roofers? I am still waiting for answers from the roofer re: my improper installation from SPS. Certain Teed, 2 inspectors and the insurance inspectors all say the same thing...they are still jerking me around and waiting "for the rep. from Certain Teed to come out"!!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by massapequa girl View Post
My roofer put a tarp on the roof, and walked off with the shingles that I had in the garage....same problem, were not nailed properly..he said all of the roof has "defective"shingles and I should get a new one....I had my own inspector come by and they advised me the shingles are not adhering...warranty almost hung up in my face and I can't get hold of the roofer. My roofer was SPS.
About how many shingles did you lose?

Are you near an open place where the wind had no buffers? Like a golf course or a greenspace? Just wondering. We didn't lose any shingles but the solar panels sprung a leak from the very long time of sustained winds.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc4340 View Post
Since I know nothing about roofing or shingles, would you mind telling me where the nail holes should be on the shingles for further reference in case we find ourselves in your situation? Thank you
For most 3 tab shingles in Florida there should be 6 nails in the shingle. About 1 inch in from each edge and a nail on each side of the 3 tab slots. The nails should be 1/2 to 5/8 inch below the black adhesive strip. When another shingle is nailed over this one in the next row that shingles 6 nails should go into the top edge of the one below it.
For Architectural / laminated shingles they too should get 6 nails. Depending on if they are english size or metric the nails are about 1 inch from each side, 7-8 inches from each side and 15-16 from each side. When they are new there is usually a chalk line just above the laminated pieces to use a nailing line. They will also end up with 6 more nails in the top edge from the shingle above them.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Just posted this information on another thread. We lost a lot of shingles, had slashed felt paper underneath and as a result had a lot of indoor water damage. Have been to roofer (Sacks) and Warranty with no action from either. HOuse is 3 years old and out of warranty. Had a certified roof inspector inspect the undamaged part of the roof and there were nailing problems under 2 of the 3 random shingles he pulled up. I have spoken with an attorney but they are not interested in our little 15,000 dollars in damage. Our insurance company has paid the claim. We disclosed the slashed felt paper to them but again, not worth their time and money to go after the roofer or Villages Warranty. We are out a large deductible ($8,000.00) and have a crappy roof just waiting for another bad storm.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Sage
Default I think a lawsuit would be iffy.

As far as I can ascertain, The area that is occupied called The Villages has never been in the direct path of a Hurricane before. At least not when it was called The Villages. So I am hoping being in the direct path of a hurricane won't happen again.

I think most bad damage here in The Villages has occurred where there was a large open space near a home where the wind was unrestricted such as a home on a golf course or pond and the wind, of course went on for hours and hours.

Now I think it would be hard to make a case, is it the roof's fault,the shingles fault, the roofers fault or the hurricane's fault or how the house was situated in the hurricane.

The sad thing is that homes with a view, though very desirable, but in this case were the most vulnerable if the wind was sweeping toward your home over a vacant area.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth P View Post
Just posted this information on another thread. We lost a lot of shingles, had slashed felt paper underneath and as a result had a lot of indoor water damage. Have been to roofer (Sacks) and Warranty with no action from either. HOuse is 3 years old and out of warranty. Had a certified roof inspector inspect the undamaged part of the roof and there were nailing problems under 2 of the 3 random shingles he pulled up. I have spoken with an attorney but they are not interested in our little 15,000 dollars in damage. Our insurance company has paid the claim. We disclosed the slashed felt paper to them but again, not worth their time and money to go after the roofer or Villages Warranty. We are out a large deductible ($8,000.00) and have a crappy roof just waiting for another bad storm.
Have you considered small claims court against the roofer?
Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Small claims limit is $5000.00 We had an $8,000 deductible so we are above the limit.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Our 2014 Holly house lost over 24 shingles. I initially replaced most of them myself with help from a neighbor. A few days ago, Sacks roofing stopped by to replace my shingles and others that I had temporarily repaired with tar goop. He asked if I had noticed that the shingles were placed such that fewer shingles were used to cover an area that should require more. I told him I also noticed this miss placement of shingle rows. He, as I did, went with the misplaced alignment so as to not replace a larger section of my roof.

If it happens again before I replace the whole roof in about ten to twelve years, I will not be a happy camper.

Dropbox - IMG_6222.JPG

Last edited by twoplanekid; 10-26-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth P View Post
Small claims limit is $5000.00 We had an $8,000 deductible so we are above the limit.
IMHO, you should go after the $5000 anyway. Nothing to lose, right?
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, roofing, seal, lost, shingle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.