I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2017, 04:57 PM

My house is only 3 years old. So then in addition to driving the 4 nails too deep into the shingle, the ones that came off were two nails short of the required six. Didn't check the good ones that didn't rip off, only the ones that were laying on the ground the next morning. But now that makes me wonder about the rest of my roof. Might get an inspector to check that it was put in according to code.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by massapequa girl View Post
My roofer put a tarp on the roof, and walked off with the shingles that I had in the garage....same problem, were not nailed properly..he said all of the roof has "defective"shingles and I should get a new one....I had my own inspector come by and they advised me the shingles are not adhering...warranty almost hung up in my face and I can't get hold of the roofer. My roofer was SPS.
Simply by the plethora of those reporting problems with shingles in relatively new homes, there is obviously a problem in some locations with quality control by the developer.

Here's hoping that you (and so many others) are treated fairly.

Maybe Irma was a silver lining, in that the issues showed up now...instead of later when the warranty has expired.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My son owns a very large roofing company in another state. I sent him the original post and asked for his comments. He said: the strip is supposed to be on the shingle. Plastic film is not supposed to be removed. The wind blew harder than the shingle warranty, be thankful that 98% of your roof is still there
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Fortunately (or luckily), we didn't have any roofing problems with Irma. Those with a roof problem had better cover up, looks like Maria may be heading this way.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massapequa girl View Post
My roofer put a tarp on the roof, and walked off with the shingles that I had in the garage....same problem, were not nailed properly..he said all of the roof has "defective"shingles and I should get a new one....I had my own inspector come by and they advised me the shingles are not adhering...warranty almost hung up in my face and I can't get hold of the roofer. My roofer was SPS.
PLEASE, Please, please file a complaint with as many organizations and government offices that you can think of!
Think Citizens against Crime, the BBB, etc., The list is endless.

If the duped public at large does not file a complaint against these slipshod people and companies, they will only continue to screw the public, and no one will be smiling!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Simply by the plethora of those reporting problems with shingles in relatively new homes, there is obviously a problem in some locations with quality control by the developer.

Here's hoping that you (and so many others) are treated fairly.

Maybe Irma was a silver lining, in that the issues showed up now...instead of later when the warranty has expired.
Putting a little salt on what could be the developers wound, if any of these roof jobs were either not done to code or simply improperly done somehow, the developer better get ready for an onslaught of you-know-what!

If the installation of shingles has not been done correctly, the developer doesn't have a leg to stand on and any warranty is simply a word, nothing more.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My son owns a very large roofing company in another state. I sent him the original post and asked for his comments. He said: the strip is supposed to be on the shingle. Plastic film is not supposed to be removed. The wind blew harder than the shingle warranty, be thankful that 98% of your roof is still there
Well said.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Putting a little salt on what could be the developers wound, if any of these roof jobs were either not done to code or simply improperly done somehow, the developer better get ready for an onslaught of you-know-what!

If the installation of shingles has not been done correctly, the developer doesn't have a leg to stand on and any warranty is simply a word, nothing more.
Perfectly stated.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Fortunately (or luckily), we didn't have any roofing problems with Irma. Those with a roof problem had better cover up, looks like Maria may be heading this way.
I agree.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Same problem, the roofer came by and put a tarp on the roof and took the fallen shingles out of my garage without my knowledge. I was to the entire roof had problems as they were not "sticking"..I called the roofing mfg. to get a "packet" from their warranty dept. Now the roofer said he will pick up the packet, take MORE shingles from the roof to send into the mfg. He said it's happened before and I should get a new roof (the house is 17mos. old) DO YOU SMELL A RAT HERE????????????/
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
My house is only 3 years old. So then in addition to driving the 4 nails too deep into the shingle, the ones that came off were two nails short of the required six. Didn't check the good ones that didn't rip off, only the ones that were laying on the ground the next morning. But now that makes me wonder about the rest of my roof. Might get an inspector to check that it was put in according to code.
That's where I would start.(They are much smarter than lawyers.) And I don't recall anyone saying anything about their County Building Dept. They are the people that inspected the roof install.

I had a new roof put on several months ago and when the County Inspector showed up.... he was in a car, no ladder, and looked at it from ground. Not a problem for me, as I have both done roofing and been a building inspector. I know my job was done correctly.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
You are starting a class action suit for $500

Typically a lead plaintiff, in a class action, is awarded all legal expenses and a percentage of the total award. If this person, with a $500 loss, is responsible for a $100M judgment against CertainTeed the plaintiff may receive as much as $10M. That may be a reason to “Lead” a class action.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Typical in a class action suit the only one who makes out is the lawyer.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Sage
Default I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Someone on here stated that these shingles require 6 nails ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) Was just observing a new roof being installed in Osceola. Each shingle was receiving 4 nails.
If anyone on here is interested, the house being worked on is opposite the Osceola Hills mail station/pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 09-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Someone on here stated that these shingles require 6 nails ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) Was just observing a new roof being installed in Osceola. Each shingle was receiving 4 nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The word "required" was not used.
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, roofing, seal, lost, shingle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.