i have finally figured out my issue with the villages non golf recreation

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Many are fit in this community a lot are not. I would like to think at 75 I am fit.. but I am not sure that many of us want to play Soccer, or LaCrosse etc., at 50+. Are you suggesting the may lower the entry age to the villages. Its bad enough with some "newbies" attitude to us "old folk" as I was called.

FYI Pickleball is so popular here as the court is about half the size of a tennis court with almost always 4 folk.. easier game, more fun. Softball here has special rules for our ages to prevent some accidents.

Too many people think they are fit, and can play all the games they did 40 years ago. I applaud them for trying BUT....that is why we get many injuries in our sports, when they run when they should not.

You deserve to have sport facility for these things, BUT just remember this as an example. Where ever I play pickleball there are always 2 or more tennis courts adjacent.. ALWAYS EMPTY,( except Saturdays!!) while we line up in droves to play. Be warned if your facility is un-used there will be complaints. They may fall on deaf ears, as you say the villages does not seem to listen.. Welcome to retirement....
Climate change has added to the loss of interest in tennis in Florida. It must be played in early morning or under lights during most months of the year. In the summer afternoon, the court temperature is over 100 degrees. If people were allowed to play tennis in the school gyms in the A/C there would be long lines to play.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:08 PM

so when you bought here.. you knew the existing amenities.. correct?..
Old 10-25-2020, 01:19 PM

So I posted a quick reply and can't find it to edit it.. I said so you knew the amenities when you bought in right?.. I just moved in 2 weeks ago.. and am on the younger end of the 55 & over spectrum.. yes maybe those activities may be older.. but they still are fun.. and am looking forward to learning those again.. and nice that our neighbors of all ages.. will be able to participate even tho.. we will be seeking out the more strenuous sports.. Ive played racquetball all my life.. and would love to see some r ball courts instead of all the pickleball courts..but it is what it is.. when I looked researched & bought.. I'm ectsatic with whats all available..maybe soccer or what ever sport wasn't here that you like when you bought.. you should have thought twice about..I love the villages and what they all have to offer... I've worked F*^%$#@ HARD all my life to be in this BEAUTIFUL place..NO ONE IS going to burst my bubble now..
Old 10-25-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Well, i did say it was my problem, and no one else's. The soccer club is on hiatus due to the pandemic, but my point was unclear. The soccer club during the week actually plays next to the polo fields on a makeshift field, and on sunday's at everglades. With only one field, the development nearly, if not completely doubling, the current drive is 30 minutes+ from some parts to the everglades field. From a long term development point of view, i hope that the developer builds another multi purpose field for the future generations who will come with other outdoor activities. And in the northeast, there are plenty of people playing in the over 60 league. Doug Flutie played on a team in the game ahead of us, in a division higher than us, in the under 40 league.

Hey if Brett Favre can put on copper fit and still play, so can we!
You might be able to acquire participation if you created golf cart “soccer polo” or supplied a 55 gallon drum of Blue Emu.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Indoor pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniak4@gmail.com View Post
One thing that needs to be considered are indoor pools, maybe 3 of them, one near each of the squares. Many people are intolerant of the sun and can’t use outdoor pools. Some winter days are too cold to swim outdoors. Just my opinion.
I agree a couple of indoor pools are needed. Most retirement communities have an indoor pool. Why not TV?
Old 10-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
you might be able to acquire participation if you created golf cart “soccer polo” or supplied a 55 gallon drum of blue emu.
how about some inner city games for league play
1. Skelsy

2 box ball thats handball reversed play in city sidewalk dimension 4 x 4 boxes

3. Johnny on the pony

4. Off the point. Baseball using spaulding rubber ball thrown vs apt building edge. Maybe that 300 unit in hacienda would allow us in to use their walls

5. All losers subject to immediate moons up

6 rck using golf carts thru the village squares

7 ring o levio. Using golf carts and flag football on the golf courses

just saying

session over
Old 10-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkandsportsguy View Post
the rec center activity selections are as cookie cutter as the houses. The villages might be developing for the future migration of boomers and others, but they are not diversifying to the outside activities of the future generations with sports like soccer/ flag football, lacrosse, etc soccer pitch is why i purchased in marsh bend. Soccer is an international sport, i have played pickup and organized leagues most of my life as a 11/12th generation american, meaning not a european transplant, i have played pick up in different areas of the country, when i travel on business, including south florida. In the last two decades, i have played outdoor pickup with women who have tried out for the national team, and men who were all americans in college. . . And internationals from europe and south america. On sundays, in massachusetts, there are hundreds of league games in under 30, under 40, under 50 and under 60 leagues. I have playedin the over 30 and over 40 leagues as well as refereed some of the women's league games on sunday morningn

the new rec centers have the same "older generational" sports like shuffleboard, which i thought died in the 70's. . . Tv could use a second multi purpose field for the younger generations who grew up with title 9, with also playing soccer, and flag football leagues, lacrosse, etc also, kickball is growing again, lacrosse is growing, with professional leagues. . . .

So having 1 full field for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse for the entire "village" is pretty short sighted for future generations desiring to move to an active lifestyle.

But then i did grow up near "title town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

Sportsguy
somewhere in the villages classifieds i think i saw a time machine for sale
Old 10-25-2020, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Senior Soccer in the villages is paused now due to COVID, but normally is played Thursdays at the Polo fields and Sundays at the Everglades field.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieOn View Post
So I posted a quick reply and can't find it to edit it.. I said so you knew the amenities when you bought in right?.. I just moved in 2 weeks ago.. and am on the younger end of the 55 & over spectrum.. yes maybe those activities may be older.. but they still are fun.. and am looking forward to learning those again.. and nice that our neighbors of all ages.. will be able to participate even tho.. we will be seeking out the more strenuous sports.. Ive played racquetball all my life.. and would love to see some r ball courts instead of all the pickleball courts..but it is what it is.. when I looked researched & bought.. I'm ectsatic with whats all available..maybe soccer or what ever sport wasn't here that you like when you bought.. you should have thought twice about..I love the villages and what they all have to offer... I've worked F*^%$#@ HARD all my life to be in this BEAUTIFUL place..NO ONE IS going to burst my bubble now..
After a few years, the euphoria wears off. Lock your doors when you leave.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:06 PM

Sound as if you should have done more research and moved to a younger area...just saying
Old 10-25-2020, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Lets just say that I enjoy many sports, and haven't participated much in the highly popular american sports. I prefer a different [s]sport[/s] activity, once a month or so to keep the boredom away. Also, as far as TV expectations, i purchased for the [s]competitive[/s] active lifestyle, all of it, to keep away from the TV and the internet, especially that TOTV place. . .

For those thinking i was [s]being braggadocious[/s] bragging, I was trying to illustrate that soccer is everywhere in the states at a pickup level and a competitive level, an enjoyment for men and women of all abilities. I love being a dog, chasing ball as the thought of running for the sake of running is worthy of sticking pins in my eyes. Most everywhere I mentioned I played was pickup after the age of 40 with men and women having fun, including with the ex professionals who love the sport, but are playing "the beautiful game" And if I went back to my sunday pickup in New England, there would be 20-30 late 50's early 60's still playing all in one game, sometimes up to 15 a side, just for fun.

There are competitive OVER 60 leagues in soccer in several states, but I wasn't expecting a competitive league in TV, so an orthopedist is not needed and just for good luck, another . My boss's father played competitive adult hockey into his 70s, but I am not expecting an ice rink.

My personal issue is that having optionality of a few different sports at a couple of the rec centers would be very attractive to some of us, and those behind us, who are more active, regardless of our interests or level of activity. The everglades multipurpose field is perfect for many [s]medal events[/s] activities. Do we really need to have shuffle board in every rec center? a few covered pools is a great suggestion as the Florida sun is pretty strong. The outdoor exercise equipment are great ideas . . .

I will still believe that TV is the best place for adult retirement camp with all the current options...

That is all, carry on. . .
Old 10-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

evidently the [s] [/s] strikethrough font doesn't work here.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Completely agree. I used to LOVE playing tennis, but much prefer pickleball now, both physically and socially. I think we should have some pickleball lines on tennis courts so people can come with their own nets and play on those OFTEN EMPTY tennis courts.
You might want to look around a bit more. For instance, at Seabreeze on Thursday’s around 9am the tennis courts are full but the pickleball courts are empty.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

The skiers and snowboarders really have something to complain about.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

There are competitive OVER 60 leagues in soccer in several states, but I wasn't expecting a competitive league in TV, so an orthopedist is not needed and just for good luck, another . My boss's father played competitive adult hockey into his 70s, but I am not expecting an ice rink.

There is soccer in The Villages. Thursday’s at the Polo Fields. Sunday at Everglades. Sometimes they play outside the bubble also. Get in touch with the Senior Soccer club.
Closed Thread

Tags
leagues, soccer, lacrosse, played, football

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.