i have finally figured out my issue with the villages non golf recreation

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default i have finally figured out my issue with the villages non golf recreation

The rec center activity selections are as cookie cutter as the houses. The villages might be developing for the future migration of boomers and others, but they are not diversifying to the outside activities of the future generations with sports like soccer/ flag football, lacrosse, etc Soccer pitch is why I purchased in Marsh bend. Soccer is an international sport, i have played pickup and organized leagues most of my life as a 11/12th generation american, meaning not a european transplant, I have played pick up in different areas of the country, when i travel on business, including south florida. In the last two decades, i have played outdoor pickup with women who have tried out for the national team, and men who were all americans in college. . . and internationals from europe and south america. On sundays, in massachusetts, there are hundreds of league games in under 30, under 40, under 50 and under 60 leagues. I have playedin the over 30 and over 40 leagues as well as refereed some of the women's league games on sunday morningn

The new rec centers have the same "older generational" sports like shuffleboard, which I thought died in the 70's. . . TV could use a second multi purpose field for the younger generations who grew up with Title 9, with also playing soccer, and flag football leagues, lacrosse, etc Also, kickball is growing again, lacrosse is growing, with professional leagues. . . .

So having 1 full field for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse for the entire "village" is pretty short sighted for future generations desiring to move to an active lifestyle.

but then i did grow up near "Title Town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

sportsguy
Old 10-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I would think as there is growth and a demand , they will provide, can you honestly say you need more now and that the field is overused?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Played hockey and Was regional referee, For 40 years, but I’m thinking a rink is not in the near future
Old 10-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I think there should be pool tables and tennis courts at every rec center, but I didn’t build the place so I have make do. I do agree that future villager’s may not have the 50’s and 60’s retirement mentality?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Grew up playing soccer and rugby, and in those times couldn't imagine never playing the game again.
But I knew when to call it a day, both physically and aesethically.
Oldies just look sad oldies, when trying to recapture their sporting youth.
JMHO
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

plenty of softball fields in TV for playing kickball
Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Default Really??

I drive by the soccer field daily and have never seen anybody WAITING for their turn on the soccer field. It's THERE! Is your complaint that there are not enough soccer fields or that there isn't enough interest from the residents that you can join the activity when YOU want to??
Go to the sport pools at Water Volleyball time and see how many people are enjoying the amenity, or go to the softball fields in the morning to see the same atmosphere.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The rec center activity selections are as cookie cutter as the houses. The villages might be developing for the future migration of boomers and others, but they are not diversifying to the outside activities of the future generations with sports like soccer/ flag football, lacrosse, etc Soccer pitch is why I purchased in Marsh bend. Soccer is an international sport, i have played pickup and organized leagues most of my life as a 11/12th generation american, meaning not a european transplant, I have played pick up in different areas of the country, when i travel on business, including south florida. In the last two decades, i have played outdoor pickup with women who have tried out for the national team, and men who were all americans in college. . . and internationals from europe and south america. On sundays, in massachusetts, there are hundreds of league games in under 30, under 40, under 50 and under 60 leagues. I have playedin the over 30 and over 40 leagues as well as refereed some of the women's league games on sunday morningn

The new rec centers have the same "older generational" sports like shuffleboard, which I thought died in the 70's. . . TV could use a second multi purpose field for the younger generations who grew up with Title 9, with also playing soccer, and flag football leagues, lacrosse, etc Also, kickball is growing again, lacrosse is growing, with professional leagues. . . .

So having 1 full field for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse for the entire "village" is pretty short sighted for future generations desiring to move to an active lifestyle.

but then i did grow up near "Title Town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

sportsguy
My suggestion is to organize a league for the sport that you wish to play. Once enough players join that the facilities are falling short, you can request construction of additional facilities.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Soccer in the Villages...will they allow golf carts on the pitch so those who are challenged can kick the ball their arthritic feet?
Old 10-24-2020, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Well, i did say it was my problem, and no one else's. The soccer club is on hiatus due to the pandemic, but my point was unclear. The soccer club during the week actually plays next to the polo fields on a makeshift field, and on sunday's at everglades. With only one field, the development nearly, if not completely doubling, the current drive is 30 minutes+ from some parts to the everglades field. From a long term development point of view, i hope that the developer builds another multi purpose field for the future generations who will come with other outdoor activities. And in the northeast, there are plenty of people playing in the over 60 league. Doug Flutie played on a team in the game ahead of us, in a division higher than us, in the under 40 league.

Hey if Brett Favre can put on copper fit and still play, so can we!
Old 10-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Now that the new Villages emergency room is open on 44 they can start using the soccer field.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I respect that everyone has different recreational desires, but the Villages is a place designed for 55+ seniors. I think the average age is a little north of 65. Soccer, flag football, and lacrosse are all sports I used to really enjoy playing, but old knees, hips, and backs prohibit most seniors from participating in such activities. In my opinion, the villages needs more sports pools so older folks, with aching joints, can participate in non weight bearing activities such as lap swimming. I understand that future generations might enjoy different activities than prior generations, but everyone’s bodies begin to break down as they age, regardless of their generation.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

I would love to play racquetball again but prefer to walk the golf course tomorrow....
Old 10-24-2020, 11:09 PM

How about a paint ball shooting arena? That should be a big hit, with the whippersnappers...
Old 10-25-2020, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Too much soccer already.
Closed Thread

Tags
leagues, soccer, lacrosse, played, football

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.