i have finally figured out my issue with the villages non golf recreation

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2020, 05:15 AM

For the next gen residents, maybe add some group phone charging stations
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 AM
Default Atv/utv

We have and ride a UTV (side by side). I wish there was more interest in off reading in the Villages so that we could ride as a group. There are so many riding places nearby....Ocala National Forest as well as Crooms.
Would love to introduce others to the sport.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:16 AM
Default Playing Soccer at 50+

Many are fit in this community a lot are not. I would like to think at 75 I am fit.. but I am not sure that many of us want to play Soccer, or LaCrosse etc., at 50+. Are you suggesting the may lower the entry age to the villages. Its bad enough with some "newbies" attitude to us "old folk" as I was called.

FYI Pickleball is so popular here as the court is about half the size of a tennis court with almost always 4 folk.. easier game, more fun. Softball here has special rules for our ages to prevent some accidents.

Too many people think they are fit, and can play all the games they did 40 years ago. I applaud them for trying BUT....that is why we get many injuries in our sports, when they run when they should not.

You deserve to have sport facility for these things, BUT just remember this as an example. Where ever I play pickleball there are always 2 or more tennis courts adjacent.. ALWAYS EMPTY,( except Saturdays!!) while we line up in droves to play. Be warned if your facility is un-used there will be complaints. They may fall on deaf ears, as you say the villages does not seem to listen.. Welcome to retirement....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The rec center activity selections are as cookie cutter as the houses. The villages might be developing for the future migration of boomers and others, but they are not diversifying to the outside activities of the future generations with sports like soccer/ flag football, lacrosse, etc Soccer pitch is why I purchased in Marsh bend. Soccer is an international sport, i have played pickup and organized leagues most of my life as a 11/12th generation american, meaning not a european transplant, I have played pick up in different areas of the country, when i travel on business, including south florida. In the last two decades, i have played outdoor pickup with women who have tried out for the national team, and men who were all americans in college. . . and internationals from europe and south america. On sundays, in massachusetts, there are hundreds of league games in under 30, under 40, under 50 and under 60 leagues. I have playedin the over 30 and over 40 leagues as well as refereed some of the women's league games on sunday morningn

The new rec centers have the same "older generational" sports like shuffleboard, which I thought died in the 70's. . . TV could use a second multi purpose field for the younger generations who grew up with Title 9, with also playing soccer, and flag football leagues, lacrosse, etc Also, kickball is growing again, lacrosse is growing, with professional leagues. . . .

So having 1 full field for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse for the entire "village" is pretty short sighted for future generations desiring to move to an active lifestyle.

but then i did grow up near "Title Town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

sportsguy
Old 10-25-2020, 06:20 AM

Pickleball courts will get way more use than tennis courts. It is the fastest growing sport, especially for those over 60.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:28 AM

One thing that needs to be considered are indoor pools, maybe 3 of them, one near each of the squares. Many people are intolerant of the sun and can’t use outdoor pools. Some winter days are too cold to swim outdoors. Just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniak4@gmail.com View Post
One thing that needs to be considered are indoor pools, maybe 3 of them, one near each of the squares. Many people are intolerant of the sun and can’t use outdoor pools. Some winter days are too cold to swim outdoors. Just my opinion.
Indoor pools would be fantastic. And how about putting a pool at the charter school so Laural Manor can be fully used for Village Residents.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:12 AM

You are so right. Just like the music that is played or sung by visiting bands. I stay current with music. People here live in the past and it's really old and boring. I hope when they go, the music goes with them. But, everything here is controlled. It's really quite repulsive.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

So OP to sum it up:

The non golf rec activities are tailored to meet the target audience and you do not like this/think it is a good idea/suggest a non golf rec activity that does not meet the majority target demographics needs?

Not starting an argument or attacking your position just trying to understand your position.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:57 AM

Well, before you bury all of us boomers in our grave and replace us with 30 and 40 year olds, you might want to keep in mind, the vast majority of us, despite the fact we’re seniors, still have a long way to go. And maybe your bones and muscles haven’t aged, but a lot of us are already in the replacing parts mode. Besides, by the time we kick off, our senior kids will be the ones replacing us.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Although soccer is an international sport and is possibly the most popular sport worldwide, it has never really caught on in the USA as neither a participant nor a spectator sport. This is true in spite of the fact that there have been organizations trying to force it upon out kids from very early ages.

Somehow certain groups have been trying to convince parents that it is much nicer to have your kids playing soccer than the four major sports that are popular in this country.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Fyi Incase someone wants to try something different.

Touch Tennis is big in Europe. Similar court size a Pickleball and can be played here on the Platform Tennis courts.

What is TouchTennis? - Sportsver
Old 10-25-2020, 08:12 AM

there is/was a weekly flag football game that drew maybe 10-15 guys each week - pre-covid
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The rec center activity selections are as cookie cutter as the houses. The villages might be developing for the future migration of boomers and others, but they are not diversifying to the outside activities of the future generations with sports like soccer/ flag football, lacrosse, etc Soccer pitch is why I purchased in Marsh bend. Soccer is an international sport, i have played pickup and organized leagues most of my life as a 11/12th generation american, meaning not a european transplant, I have played pick up in different areas of the country, when i travel on business, including south florida. In the last two decades, i have played outdoor pickup with women who have tried out for the national team, and men who were all americans in college. . . and internationals from europe and south america. On sundays, in massachusetts, there are hundreds of league games in under 30, under 40, under 50 and under 60 leagues. I have playedin the over 30 and over 40 leagues as well as refereed some of the women's league games on sunday morningn

The new rec centers have the same "older generational" sports like shuffleboard, which I thought died in the 70's. . . TV could use a second multi purpose field for the younger generations who grew up with Title 9, with also playing soccer, and flag football leagues, lacrosse, etc Also, kickball is growing again, lacrosse is growing, with professional leagues. . . .

So having 1 full field for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse for the entire "village" is pretty short sighted for future generations desiring to move to an active lifestyle.

but then i did grow up near "Title Town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

sportsguy
As soon as this Pandemic is over I am going to make a sign and picket Laurel Manor until they get a pencil sharpener in the art room. Also missing is an outside place for us "Plein Air" painters.

Not.

Things are fine. It is fine. I am fine.

It is another lovely day in The Villages. A-O.K. PERFECT. I just can't make that hand sign with a circled forefinger and thumb palms up. Someone said it was racist to do that anymore. Seems silly to me.. But things are fine..GREAT. Except for the Pandemic which I am very tired of and that damned virus.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:

sportsguy
Sounds like TV’s life style is not for you.....perhaps it’s time to move where all the other jocks retired to.

Last edited by Don5154; 10-25-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNY View Post
Indoor pools would be fantastic. And how about putting a pool at the charter school so Laural Manor can be fully used for Village Residents.
I totally second that idea, the Villages Charter School swim team monopolizes the lap swimming time away from amenity fee paying Villagers. And with Covid, I am not going near that place after a bunch of teenagers have been using the facility.
Closed Thread

Tags
leagues, soccer, lacrosse, played, football

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.