i have finally figured out my issue with the villages non golf recreation

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

So coach the thread is slowly ending , but please come back soon and tell us more of your athletic achievements and travel observations, us unfit non soccer and flag football villagers are waiting with bated breath , Oh my I must go I’m late for my 10 mile bike ride , you know I used to know a ll the top riders I met them through Ronaldo who I used to play pickup games with while I was working as an assistant for Tom Brady
Old 10-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
For the next gen residents, maybe add some group phone charging stations
And mindcraft game stations.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Many are fit in this community a lot are not. I would like to think at 75 I am fit.. but I am not sure that many of us want to play Soccer, or LaCrosse etc., at 50+. Are you suggesting the may lower the entry age to the villages. Its bad enough with some "newbies" attitude to us "old folk" as I was called.

FYI Pickleball is so popular here as the court is about half the size of a tennis court with almost always 4 folk.. easier game, more fun. Softball here has special rules for our ages to prevent some accidents.

Too many people think they are fit, and can play all the games they did 40 years ago. I applaud them for trying BUT....that is why we get many injuries in our sports, when they run when they should not.

You deserve to have sport facility for these things, BUT just remember this as an example. Where ever I play pickleball there are always 2 or more tennis courts adjacent.. ALWAYS EMPTY,( except Saturdays!!) while we line up in droves to play. Be warned if your facility is un-used there will be complaints. They may fall on deaf ears, as you say the villages does not seem to listen.. Welcome to retirement....
Most pickleball courts are empty in afternoons and evening? So, just cause you don’t see someone on them don’t mean they are not used at time you’re there. Tennis courts in my area are reserved everyday from 8am to noon. But, district 4 lacking amenities.

You can get 3 pickleball courts on on tennis court. I agree pickleball doubles are easier and more fun. Doubles tennis makes my back hurt leaning over waiting for shot.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
So coach the thread is slowly ending , but please come back soon and tell us more of your athletic achievements and travel observations, us unfit non soccer and flag football villagers are waiting with bated breath , Oh my I must go I’m late for my 10 mile bike ride , you know I used to know a ll the top riders I met them through Ronaldo who I used to play pickup games with while I was working as an assistant for Tom Brady
well, i did stay at a holiday inn last night, so there is that!

Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

but then i did grow up near "Title Town," so my under 30 life was all sports in my free time, coaching, playing, refereeing, supporting, etc.

sportsguy
The only TitleTown I know is Green Bay Wisconsin and there's not much soccer there.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have the exact same number of Tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage

You say your grew up on mass so I assume you grew up near title town meaning Boston as you call it , well I grew in Boston and except for this summer because of virus I’m usually home for 4 months , but I still read both globe and herald every day and although title town sounds nice I don’t know anyone who calls it that and didn’t most of us play sports under 30 just saying !!!!
Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 AM

You do realize that this is a "retirement community" with the vast majority of residents age 60 and older. We have pickleball, softball, dragon boat racing, a few basketball goals, and water volleyball for active, healthy seniors. I doubt there would be a huge demand or participation in sports like soccer or flag football.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Yes, I agree 100%. While visiting other 55+ communities, they all have at least one indoor pool. It's attractive & also able to be rented in the evening for private parties. I was surprised The Villages does not offer this.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:43 AM

My problem is that for people who still work full time, like me, the hours are limiting. I don't understand why sports pools can't open at 6 AM, and close later.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Default There are documentaries on Boston as Titletown!

Quote:
You say your grew up on mass so I assume you grew up near title town meaning Boston as you call it , well I grew in Boston and I still read both globe and herald every day and although title town sounds nice I don’t know anyone who calls it that . . . . .
Geez, charlie, i don't really believe that you grew up in beantown, because in the first link, here are some of the great moments in boston sports, and they even forgot the bruins. . . the first is a small music video with the only song appropriate. . . the rest are other sources including one boston television station. . .

Fact: Boston stands as the only north american city to boast at least five championship from each of the four major sports leagues in the last 30 years.

Fact: Boston is the only city to have won a championship in each of the four major sports since 2000

boston titletown - Bing video

Titletown: A Boston Sports Documentary - YouTube

Boston's Reign as Titletown Seems Over Due to Tom Brady Going to Bucs - InsideHook

‘The new Titletown’: MLB celebrates Boston sports championships with cartoon – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

So this qualifies me to speak on multipurpose sports fields, correct?

SPORTSguy
Old 10-31-2020, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I disagree - sports, like tennis, are designed for a lifetime. Also pickleball, volleyball (in water or on land) and many others. Sports builds character in young players and still reflects character in the senior players. I respect ALL who play. There are a few jerks, of course. But, that is everywhere in life.
I have read and reread my post and knowhere can I see me mentioning anything other than rugby and soccer.
I still play golf and walk the courses.
I am in my 80's and can still walk half the population off their feet.
It was the contact sports I knew when to give up.
Mind you I had a knee replacement two weeks ago, so a comback is not ruled out completely!
Old 10-31-2020, 04:40 PM

I’ll admit I haven’t read through the posts.
But if you have an interest start a club.
My husband started a drone club.
If there’s an interest, then you’ll know.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Default I’m saying no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Geez, charlie, i don't really believe that you grew up in beantown, because in the first link, here are some of the great moments in boston sports, and they even forgot the bruins. . . the first is a small music video with the only song appropriate. . . the rest are other sources including one boston television station. . .

Fact: Boston stands as the only north american city to boast at least five championship from each of the four major sports leagues in the last 30 years.

Fact: Boston is the only city to have won a championship in each of the four major sports since 2000

boston titletown - Bing video

Titletown: A Boston Sports Documentary - YouTube

Boston's Reign as Titletown Seems Over Due to Tom Brady Going to Bucs - InsideHook

‘The new Titletown’: MLB celebrates Boston sports championships with cartoon – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

So this qualifies me to speak on multipurpose sports fields, correct?

SPORTSguy
calls it title town and I still own Red Sox season tickets, sold peanuts , scorecards , candy and gum at Fenway park starting in 1952, and hot dogs and popcorn at Boston Garden for Celtics and Bruins games still have lots of friends with Bruins season tickets it might be called that in a video but in the neighborhoods I’ve never heard it, I have heard a city of champions , but for most of us it’s our neighborhood names South Boston , north end East Boston , Dorchester, or Charlestown or just Beantown but it’s ok to call it title town because it’s the best town in USA and the bluest
Old 11-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage
Default You got that right!

Quote:
it’s ok to call it title town because it’s the best town in USA and the bluest
You got that right!
Closed Thread

Tags
leagues, soccer, lacrosse, played, football

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.