I have never seen traffic on this site so slow!

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that a thread pointing out the lack of activity on the site has gotten the most attention and comments of virtually any thread of the last several days? I don't know whether bullying is any worse than in the past, there are always people on any site that promotes opinion who have an abrasive way of responding. There are a lot of people who, for whatever reason, were reasonable, rational, kind, and thoughtful posters, who no longer visit here. (I'm talking to you BillnBrillo). It just seems to me that back in the day we regularly had threads that were thought provoking, informative, and at the same time fun that would bring lots of good feedback from lots of bright people. They still exist, but seem to me to be far fewer than they were a few years ago. Maybe this is just the natural maturity of a website and the posters that populate it.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that a thread pointing out the lack of activity on the site has gotten the most attention and comments of virtually any thread of the last several days? I don't know whether bullying is any worse than in the past, there are always people on any site that promotes opinion who have an abrasive way of responding. There are a lot of people who, for whatever reason, were reasonable, rational, kind, and thoughtful posters, who no longer visit here. (I'm talking to you BillnBrillo). It just seems to me that back in the day we regularly had threads that were thought provoking, informative, and at the same time fun that would bring lots of good feedback from lots of bright people. They still exist, but seem to me to be far fewer than they were a few years ago. Maybe this is just the natural maturity of a website and the posters that populate it.
Your post is spot on.

I am far from a wordsmith, so I find it difficult to express what I feel.

I recall the days of reasonable, non judgemental debate and discussion.

Now, no matter how respectful, thoughtful or reasonable you may be, you WILL be judged and "slotted" into a spot, and by insinuation, you better stay in your place.

Not a natural process at all.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Ed. I betcha every one who reads this thoughtful post will think they are the reasonable, rational and kind sort of folks and the others they dislike are the abrasive ones. I think we all are both at times. I miss B & B's posts too, but respect their decision. I often wonder why I haven't followed suit.. Many of us have sought and found friendships with others on this Forum and some of them have become close and treasured friends. It does require reaching out, meeting others for lunch or dinner or having a gathering at your home. I think then that good things happen if there is a spark or they find fun together. I wish and hope for such friendships to happen to anyone who wants to be friends with others here.

I am an outspoken pain in the fanny, and often abrasive but others have overlooked my flaws and befriended me. Makes me think it could happen to anyone.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
... ... I think many people are getting really tired of logging into TOV and seeing "The Thread about Nothing" and "Three Word Sentences" over and over each time they check out the website. I know I don't have to open and read the threads, which I don't, but some new content would be most welcome. Just an opinion for what it's worth.
Actually perhaps NOTHING is more entertaining than the Thread About NOTHING. One could be NOTHING more than impressed by their readership statistics. Come and go as you please into conversations similar to... NOTHING. Try it. You may like it.

I believe I get four NOTHING credits (or five) for this post.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:16 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Actually perhaps NOTHING is more entertaining than the Thread About NOTHING. One could be NOTHING more than impressed by their readership statistics. Come and go as you please into conversations similar to... NOTHING. Try it. You may like it.

I believe I get four NOTHING credits (or five) for this post.
Kenswing is the authority but I do not believe they are transferable. Nice effort though
Old 12-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ed. I betcha every one who reads this thoughtful post will think they are the reasonable, rational and kind sort of folks and the others they dislike are the abrasive ones. I think we all are both at times. I miss B & B's posts too, but respect their decision. I often wonder why I haven't followed suit.. Many of us have sought and found friendships with others on this Forum and some of them have become close and treasured friends. It does require reaching out, meeting others for lunch or dinner or having a gathering at your home. I think then that good things happen if there is a spark or they find fun together. I wish and hope for such friendships to happen to anyone who wants to be friends with others here.

I am an outspoken pain in the fanny, and often abrasive but others have overlooked my flaws and befriended me. Makes me think it could happen to anyone.
I virtually stopped posting for about 2-3 years, but it was partly website fatigue and partly because we had about decided we weren't going to get a place in TV. When we realized that, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for TOTV. When we got back in the market last February, I started getting back on regularly to catch up on what was going on. I did find it a little less compelling than it used to be, but still it is good, clean, cheap entertainment.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage
Default 323 members online right now. Most ever, 18,000

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/online.php
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Last week, I tried to get some stock market conversation going. That usually takes off.

But I guess not many people were interested or paying attention — or whatever.

Oh, well. I tried.

Sincerely,
Boomer the Wallflower
Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Last week, I tried to get some stock market conversation going. That usually takes off.

Oh, well. I tried.

Sincerely,
Boomer the Wallflower
I don't know anything about the stock market. We have a trusted financial advisor who has done well for us.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Last week, I tried to get some stock market conversation going. That usually takes off...
Maybe everybody is crying too hard to reply!!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:

Oh, well. I tried.

Sincerely,
Boomer the Wallflower
Mrs. Boomerooski, I'll try to never let you down. Here's what I know in a nutshell about the stock market. Made a killing on Home Depot a lifetime ago, did well for years but no big deal and got out just before good old Lucent Technologies hurt so many people I love deeply. I gave up then. I have some stuff that I hold just to be in the game but no day trading or anything like that. I want to sleep, way more important than the almighty dollar.

I'd put everything I've got on several people on TOTV'S and your one of them. FW also, Bet the house. Yipeee! There are many!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Oh, well. I tried.

Sincerely,
Boomer the Wallflower
I somehow overlooked it when you started the thread, but I just posted in it...so thanks for pointing it out.

Hopefully...the post will stay.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage

Don't forget the 100% foolproof philosophy of investing in the stock market, given by Will Rogers a long time ago...

"Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."
Old 12-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Don't forget the 100% foolproof philosophy of investing in the stock market, given by Will Rogers a long time ago...

"Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

I love the stuff Will Rogers said.

While I am here I think I will make a total fool of myself by asking this question. (I asked it on here about 10 years ago (mercy me!) and nobody knew.)

If you are old enough to have gone on dates to drive-in movies, I need to know if you remember people going around knocking on those steamed up car windows, and asking for donations to "The Will Rogers Fund."

I am not making this up. At least, I do not think I am. I was kinda busy at the time.

Anybody?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Sage

Live in such a way that you would not mind selling your pet parrot to the town gossip.

Will Rogers.

Tags
includes, numerous, point, classifieds, big

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.