I have never seen traffic on this site so slow!

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I think the site might be slow for several reasons. There have definitely been some contentious threads as of late. Confrontation tends to turn people off. It's also the holidays. People are busy with family and/or out of town. Repetition of topics. SSDD.. And of course some people may be turned off by NOTHING.

But as far as people coming here for relevant information, yes and no. In my opinion some people come here as a form of daily communication and entertainment. This is where they socialize. They like to keep in contact with others even if it isn't relevant.

Some are here to be helpful. I haven't seen many questions of relevance go unanswered. If someone knows the answer they will reply. At times even if no one knows the answer they will reply with a guess. Some threads get so hijacked away from their intended topic that they become irrelevant. All of these things can contribute to the perceived decrease in forum participation.

There is no one right answer.
Disagreement and debate and conflicting opinion can and is clickbait. The mainstream media uses it.

I think that this site has undergone a large change in the last six months and I think many do not find it as interesting as it once was. Seniors are known for their opinions and they are quick to express them. Debate is interesting to many who read this forum. There have been and will always be people who like to "get things going" and those who are always going to argue. I am most certainly one of those. Like all who do it, I think I'm right. But I have gotten "Points against my name". I may disappear from this forum one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8953 (2).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	77687  

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-08-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Disagreement and debate and conflicting opinion can and is clickbait. The mainstream media uses it.

I think that this site has undergone a large change in the last six months and I think many do not find it as interesting as it once was. Seniors are known for their opinions and they are quick to express them. Debate is interesting to many who read this forum. There have been and will always be people who like to "get things going" and those who are always going to argue. I am most certainly one of those. Like all who do it, I think I'm right. But I have gotten "Points against my name". I may disappear one of these days.
You can't disappear............I know where you live.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I think that this site has undergone a large change in the last six months and I think many do not find it as interesting as it once was. Seniors are known for their opinions and they are quick to express them. Debate is interesting to many who read this forum. There have been and will always be people who like to "get things going" and those who are always going to argue. I am most certainly one of those. Like all who do it, I think I'm right. But I have gotten "Points against my name". I may disappear one of these days.
You are so close to 40,000
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
You are so close to 40,000
I am not immune. As for the high volume of posts, I have no excuse. I find this group fascinating.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Yesterday was National Letter Writing Day, so there you go, everyone was putting pen to paper.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I get on this forum several times a day for a short period of time, mainly to see if any recent threads interest me, or if previous threads that have interested me have any new input. Maybe it's me, but I just find fewer interesting, stimulating exchanges than in the past. I don't have an answer for the why, but it seems I sometimes go a day with nothing that attracts me to a thread. Again, it may just be me and my changing interests, but I still find the site more interesting than say, Facebook.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
The focus should be on quality. I find very good replies to honest questions from everyone. The people here (I find) are good.

What I don’t understand is the thread about nothing. Like the household items for sale, I will not reply to that posting...

It’s just me and nay honest reply to the OP.

Thanks for this forum.
Excellent points, which mirrors a lot of my own thoughts.

It's been my personal observation, that once you get past the innocuous posts on people asking for help, or just non-controversial generic subjects, and get into those that walk the fine line of politics/current events...the conversation quickly devolves into certain 'cliques' taking over.

And just like clockwork, one can quickly guess as to which cliques...will post which viewpoints.

Since a lot of those more controversial threads are oftentimes locked fairly quickly...the interest quickly wanes.

And I'm pretty sure, that my observations will in essence...be proved by subsequent posts.

Then again...I could be wrong.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent points, which mirrors a lot of my own thoughts.

It's been my personal observation, that once you get past the innocuous posts on people asking for help, or just non-controversial generic subjects, and get into those that walk the fine line of politics/current events...the conversation quickly devolves into certain 'cliques' taking over.

And just like clockwork, one can quickly guess as to which cliques...will post which viewpoints.

Since a lot of those more controversial threads are oftentimes locked fairly quickly...the interest quickly wanes.

And I'm pretty sure, that my observations will in essence...be proved by subsequent posts.

Then again...I could be wrong.
Just for the fun of it.. Would they still be excellent points if they didn't mirror your own thoughts?

We all have our own biases and tend to agree with people that agree with us. Yes, I agree that there is clique like behavior on this site. But then again cliquish behavior is part of human nature and is certainly not exclusive or limited to these forums.

And I agree, it's easy to predict which groups will come out on either side of any given topic. Anyone that has been on this forum for any length of time will see that. None of us are innocent. We all have our beliefs and most aren't afraid of voicing their opinion. It's when people post purely with the intent to prove someone else wrong or just prove themselves right is when things start to devolve. Again, not unique to these forums.

So did I prove your observations?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Snip>....

So did I prove your observations?
nothing but...Yep.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

Next Door appears to be getting a lot of traffic lately. They keep adding neighborhoods. It is relatively easy to search.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman41 View Post
Next Door appears to be getting a lot of traffic lately. They keep adding neighborhoods. It is relatively easy to search.
That may well be a significant part of it.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I know that I can think of a Thread to open to stir the Pot if you wish. It would liven things up but is very controversial.

I also notice there is hardly any talk about restaurants and related issues like there was several months ago.

No seat saving, line dancing, dog dilemmas, just NOTHING to sink your teeth into.

A great man on here told us all once that Forums Ebb & Flow. I think we are Ebbing. It's cool though. I predict everything will be fine.

Maybe we should check on the Cart Path to Walmart on 441?? How about a good Fenney Tunnel VS. Bridge debate.

How about people who start interesting threads, never me, getting spanked and dropping off the board to cool their jets for a while??

Oh yeah How about Gas VS. Electric??
Old 12-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I know that I can think of a Thread to open to stir the Pot if you wish. It would liven things up but is very controversial.

I also notice there is hardly any talk about restaurants and related issues like there was several months ago.

No seat saving, line dancing, dog dilemmas, just NOTHING to sink your teeth into.

A great man on here told us all once that Forums Ebb & Flow. I think we are Ebbing. It's cool though. I predict everything will be fine.

Maybe we should check on the Cart Path to Walmart on 441?? How about a good Fenney Tunnel VS. Bridge debate.

How about people who start interesting threads, never me, getting spanked and dropping off the board to cool their jets for a while??

Oh yeah How about Gas VS. Electric??
I have a better one. Usually comes up this time of year (year after year). Ready for it?

TIPPING AT CHRISTMAS TIME
Old 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I have a better one. Usually comes up this time of year (year after year). Ready for it?

TIPPING AT CHRISTMAS TIME
I think we have a winner
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I think we have a winner
I'll start one on tipping at this time of the year, there is something I really want to know.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
includes, numerous, point, classifieds, big

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.