I have never seen traffic on this site so slow!

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

The effectiveness of rumor spreading is a function of interest times ambiguity. That probably applies to forum topics as well. I think the subject title is very important. Of course, it helps if the topic is polarizing...you know, like pitting dog lovers against normal people.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
The effectiveness of rumor spreading is a function of interest times ambiguity. That probably applies to forum topics as well. I think the subject title is very important. Of course, it helps if the topic is polarizing...you know, like pitting dog lovers against normal people.
Are you saying ...... never mind! I'm not normal.

I was thinking about pitting people who tip against Villagers.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I'll start one on tipping at this time of the year, there is something I really want to know.
While I applaud your attempt, I think your well-intentioned thread on tipping is another reason/example...of why this site has slowed down.

That being the inevitable snarky, mean-spirited comments...regardless of the subject.

Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping

And then there are those who have been on the site for years, while instead of just moving on when someone brings up something that has been discussed previously, can't help themselves but to denigrate/snark the thread or post...on what the 'old heads' consider a subject already thoroughly covered.

I'm betting that after a while, some people simply get tired of it...and quit participating.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
You can go two pages deep and find posts last commented on at 8:30 AM and that includes numerous classifieds. Just interesting to me, not trying to make any big point.
Well Coach I started a thread on whether or not to tip the owner of a business and within seconds I was jumped on in a passive aggressive manner and maybe that is why fewer and fewer of the "old" regulars are coming back to the site to comment. Times have changed, this site was never this aggressive or ready to pick a fight. We had great contributors who managed to reply to a post in a civilized manner or with a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While I applaud your attempt, I think your well-intentioned thread on tipping is another reason/example...of why this site has slowed down.

That being the inevitable snarky, mean-spirited comments...regardless of the subject.

Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping

And then there are those who have been on the site for years, while instead of just moving on when someone brings up something that has been discussed previously, can't help themselves but to denigrate/snark the thread or post...on what the 'old heads' consider a subject already thoroughly covered.

I'm betting that after a while, some people simply get tired of it...and quit participating.
It just amazes me, but your post warms my heart, thank you! By the way, everyone, I am well aware of tipping just wanted to see the reaction - you did not let me down.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well Coach I started a thread on whether or not to tip the owner of a business and within seconds I was jumped on in a passive aggressive manner and maybe that is why fewer and fewer of the "old" regulars are coming back to the site to comment. Times have changed, this site was never this aggressive or ready to pick a fight. We had great contributors who managed to reply to a post in a civilized manner or with a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Yep.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
It just amazes me, but your post warms my heart, thank you! By the way, everyone, I am well aware of tipping just wanted to see the reaction.

Please don't get discouraged and quit posting so often, as I believe this site needs a whole lot more nice folks like yourself...and less....
Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Plus the site has been dropping new post all day today...…..
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Platinum member

It's an even slower day in college football. The only games besides Army-Navy are things like Bubba's Underwater Mess Kit Repair Vo-Tech vs The Little Sisters of Empathy Sewing Academy. Bring on the bowls.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
I think your thread was fine, and I provided an honest opinion.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Seems some pots calling some kettles black.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Seems some pots calling some kettles black.
I have been on this forum since the beginning, and can only speak for myself, but your post which becomes so expected on most threads is what keeps me from posting.

Sorry, but I am simply being honest.

I spent years posting on here, having discussions and certainly not agreeing with many others, but we exchanged views without judgement.

This is now the norm.

Again, I post only in response to the passive aggressive little sneak phrases.

I believe in dealing with disagreements in a "positive" manner. I, without a doubt, am wrong a lot.....and I do not expect any agreement from anyone, but I got tired of being looked down on for my moral stance.

Just my reason...most don't like to be called out for that stuff...I have become a second class citizen on here, and it used to be fun here even in disagreement......and I might add even on the original political section. Everyone was honest, and most importantly were expected to substantiate their opinions..not much any more. I have been soundly called out for supplying links to back up comments.

I apologize, but trying to be honest.

I wish good things to those cliques that try to control conversations, and I agree with those who pointed out the cliques. I hope you feel successful and my sense is that much is about winning, whatever that means in a forum which is upposed to be an exchange of opinions.

I do not expect this post to survive....some are prone to "report" anything that is opposite of their thinking.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
You can go two pages deep and find posts last commented on at 8:30 AM and that includes numerous classifieds. Just interesting to me, not trying to make any big point.
Hey Buddy, sorry for opening up a can of worms on your OP post. Traffic seems to be down and I agree, why? Lets just leave it at that for the sake of sanity.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hey Buddy, sorry for opening up a can of worms on your OP post. Traffic seems to be down and I agree, why? Lets just leave it at that for the sake of sanity.
Sanity is way over rated..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-09-2018, 03:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
You are so true on fewer regulars have stopped completely from coming to this site. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 20 who no longer post, not because there was a celestial event, but just plain bullying.

The if I don’t like your post you need to leave and don’t let the door hit you. Or the best is you need to pack your bag and move. Or one was the poster must be bipolar or multiple posters under same name. Or I can’t believe you were that stupid to buy in that neighborhood.

We we first joined I used this site weekly for informative ideas, thoughts, and sometimes prayers.

Some say the reason for the change, is no coffee, Pain of some sort, health reasons. I don’t think any of this should cause anyone to be unkind, yet here we are.
Closed Thread

Tags
includes, numerous, point, classifieds, big

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.