CYV pools

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Default CYV pools

Can anyone give me an approx. yearly expense
on a solar heated pool for the year on a cyv pool.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

A pool is a pool is a pool. The size will impact water cost, but little else. My pool is small, 14 X 28. I budget $5000 a year for the pool. Usually a little bit high, but covers it. Those costs include $22 a week for T&D to clean and maintain the water quality. An increase of about $75 a month to the electric bill and another $50 a month to the water bill. Those totals are $2700 a year. I have a gas heater as back up to the solar so the pool is warm year around. For December through March, add $100 a month to the gas bill. Why have a pool you can't use all year. Every 6 months you need to pressure wash the pool deck and the cage. Usual house pressure wash costs $50 once a year, this adds another $75 or $150 a year. Every 4 years the deck needs to be repainted. To make mine more useable I added an awning. There are pool chairs and toys and other small items. All of these items bring it to about $4000 a year.

I have solar heaters that have had a couple service calls. I have replaced the pump motor. I had to have the under water light bulb replaced. The gas heater needed a new something. There was a leak by the filter that needed to be fixed. I budget the other $1000 for these things. So far even with all those I have a fund of $3000 excess in 5 years. Will continue to let that grow until there is about $10000 for a major repair to the pool or cage. So as I started $5000 is a little bit high, but allows for future problems and utility cost increases. However, last night got home from the square after dancing and stuff, jumped in a nice warm pool to cool off and refresh. So it is worth every penny. Just be aware and ready to spend that amount.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

I have a kidney shaped salt water pool in my CYV. I'm up north for the summer. I pay $22.50 to T&D per week when I'm not there. That takes care of cleaning and chemicals. My July electric bill was $55.62. That's running the 1 HP pool pump and keeping the house at 54% humidity and an exhaust fan in the garage that runs in the afternoon. I have solar heat and added 2 extra panels so it does a decent job during the colder months. When I'm there I take care of the pool myself. The chemicals run me about $5 a month. The pool sits under a bird cage so it stays relatively clean. My latest water bill says I used $.05 worth of water. My pool is only 3 years old so no major repairs have been made. I feel it is very affordable and well worth the expense.
Bob
Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Bob45,

Would you mind sharing the approximate cost of installing both the pool and birdcage? What contractor did you use? What kind of paving or decking did you use? I'm very interested in this because it is our intention to purchase a CYV within the next two years. We like the privacy of the backyards and want to install a pool/birdcage. Thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Sage

Bump
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Gold member

Bob45~Salt water pool? What is the advantage? Just curious...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.