I know television antennas are not allowed, but how about........

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Founder
Default I know television antennas are not allowed, but how about........

satellite dishes. Aren't they antennas? It doesn't bother me at all, but my neighbor has one in front of the house next to the driveway. I am concerned that somebody is going to tell them to take it down. If it is allowed, why wouldn't television antennas be allowed too?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: I know television antennas are not allowed, but how about........

According to the Deed Restrictions, #2.15 - Aerials, satellite reception dishes, and antennas of any kind are prohibited within the Subdivisions to the extent allowed by law. The location of any approved device will be as previously approved by the Developer in writing.

There are rules for the installation of satellite dishes. I suggest you call the Architectural Review Committee and find out.

My understanding is that they cannot be on the roof and have to be in the back or side yard unless they cannot be positioned properly to get reception. then they can be in the front but must be concealed by a bush.

When I first moved here they enforced it. I actually saw two dishes that had been roof mounted moved to a ground mounting. Now I see them all over the place.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

The key phrase in the deed restrictions it "allowed by law". In the late 90's a federal law was passed allowing dishes for personal use as long as they met the size requirements stated in the statute. The dishes used by Directv and Dish Network comply with the statute and as a result must be allowed. The law supersedes any HOA covenants or restrictions.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Eternal Member

But I would like to assume that the final sentence:

The location of any approved device will be as previously approved by the Developer in writing.

would restrict the resident from just putting it anywhere. Some of these look pretty tacky. Which is why we have the deed restrictions.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

The federal law allows the dish to be placed in any location necessary to obtain an adequate signal. I doubt anybody really wants of these things in their front yard but depending on the location of their house and obstructions on the property it may be necessary.

I gues you could always hide the dish behind a herd of fiberglass deer. ;D
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Founder

The FCC rule is pretty specific in allowing not only satellite dishes but also antennas.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Deed Restrictions seem to not be enforceable.

The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Smile TV Antenna

I'm just curious. Has anyone had any decent reception with a TV antenna mounted inside the attic? I have that now in Buffalo in addition to Verizon cable. I get great free digital and HD signals that work when cable cuts out.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

Bob
You would have to have some type of directional antenna mounted in the attic and it must be pointed in the proper direction to the TV transmitting antennas. I would think that TV are in the outer reaches of Orlando signal area. Only ch 51 out of Ocala may have a good signal. Also you might need an amp to boost the signal. It might be an expensive experiment and the house has to be rotated in the proper direction.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Smile

Thanks, Hawkwind.
The www.dtv.gov site gives expected signal strengths by zip code. They show The Villages receiving decent signals for a bunch of channels from both Orlando and Daytona. I don't know how valid their assessment is. Has anyone tried it? I suppose the best source would be from someone just outside The Villages who has an antenna.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Bob
I looked at the site and entered my zip code (44685) in to see what I come up with. I can get all the strong and moderate here with not problem and the weak signals are not visible here at all. I have a very large TV antenna with a preamp and rotor.

Now entering TV zip of 32162 I get only 2 stations in the moderate listing and everything else is weak. Don't enter The Villages in your search as it will not give you the correct location. I just tried Lady Lake and you get a Different listing.

You might be correct and just ask someone that lives outside TV and has an antenna.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Default Here's the FCC information

Here is the link to the FCC Rule regarding the installation of antennas on both rental and owner occupied dwellings:

According to the rules, a HOA (or community associations) cannot restrict the installation of such antennas. It would be my guess, that sometime way back when, someone at TV challenged the rules and won.

You will note at the bottom of the rules, the procedures for reporting the restrictions to the FCC are stated.

This is one of the main reasons I joined this site today. My research shows there are a plethora of televisions stations that can be received OTA (Over The Air) in the area of TV.

I have been an OTA advocate for years. With the conversion to digital signals earlier this year, I get a better signal OTA that with satellite or cable. I can't see paying for something that I can receive from free OTA.

I won't be retiring to Florida for a couple years, but I would appreciate a current resident or residents to make the complaint to the FCC before I get there.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Default Updte on DTV Reception

I was at the Radio Shack yesterday and happened to ask the clerk there if people were having any luck with OTA signals. He said with attic or outside antennas on rotors it was OK, but not the small in-house or rabbit ear types. It's fringy enough here to require a large antenna.
Speaking from my own experience, with a clear antenna view over the water, about the best you can expect reliably is about 40-50 miles from antenna. Also, the signals seem to be very sensitive to line-of-site obstructions.
BUT, when you got'em the signals are GREAT! AND FREE!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Location: Carver, MA,Village of Polo Ridge in the future/snow birds/anytime birds.

We have a CYV and when we had a dish put up, the very next day we got the notice to take it down or move it farther back.(somebody had to complain, as you can't see it from the street) It was on the roof behind our gate. We called Dish up and they told us they would send a service man to see if we could move it somewhere near the back to get reception. When he came out and said we couldn't get a signal from farther back, we talked to his supervisor and we were told the FAA came first and not the powers that be at The Villages. When we talked to the powers that be and quoted the supervisor, they backed right down and the dish is still where it was put originally.
Our CYV is now for sale and we bought a designer and had a dish put up, it's near the back of the house and no problems with anybody. Our neighber has one almost directly across from ours.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reezie View Post
When he came out and said we couldn't get a signal from farther back, we talked to his supervisor and we were told the FAA came first and not the powers that be at The Villages. .

Do you mean the FCC rather than the FAA?

FCC Federal Communications Commission
FAA Federal Aviation Administration.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=JohnR;238995] Here is the link to the FCC Rule regarding the installation of antennas on both rental and owner occupied dwellings:

According to the rules, a HOA (or community associations) cannot restrict the installation of such antennas. [QUOTE]

I live in a cyv, and my neighbor's satellite dish is right outside my front door
It's the first thing I see when I walk outside.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida

Last edited by uujudy; 12-20-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I did something wrong, and it looked wrong, and it still looks wrong
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.