I know television antennas are not allowed, but how about........

Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 AM

The issue in this thread, is OTA antennas...not satellite dishes. The original poster acknowledged, and I have seen elsewhere, that the satellite dishes are condoned by the home owners association at TV.

So the issue here is....is there a current resident willing to challenge TV for the installation of an OTA antenna?

Or you can wait three years for me to move to Florida.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

As for me..................I really do not want to see those crappy looking, lightning attracting, hurricane hurling antennas here..... imho.

Last edited by otherbruddaDarrell; 12-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell View Post
As for me..................I really do not want to see those crappy looking, lightning attracting, hurricane hurling antennas here..... imho.

I think nobody "REALLY" wants to see them. But the issue is a good one. The Villages cannot outlaw something that the Federal Government says cannot be outlawed.

There is a screwy exception to the antenna rule. The case of Ham Radio operators (who are part of a worldwide emergency radio communications network) cannot put up their antennas if local covenants forbid it. Towns, cities and villages cannot forbid them, but Community Development Districts can. I know those antennas can be unsightly, but in case of a disaster, many times they are the only link to the outside world.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Default OTA is great

Ok it's time to come out of the closet. We use a Winegard MS 2000
Round Omnidirectional Television Antenna.

The Villages Florida

This antenna is smaller than a dish and does not need to be rotated. We receive all major networks in HD much clearer than cable or dish. NBC is not always reliable yet. The photo is not of our TV house but very similar.

We also use a DVR sold by Dish network for OTA signals. No monthly fees like TiVo.

Are we the only ones?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I do not have a problem with ham operator antennas and realize the important part they have. During the Viet-Nam war the only calls home you could make was by going to the base mars station and being connected with a ham operator who would then patch in with the phone.
Having had several roof antennas at the homes I have owned I also understand that the cost is minimal and sometimes the reception is good.
Just because something is legal does it always make sense?
I don't like the price of cable or satelite, but to try and get an antenna installed here just seems cheap-o to me.
p.s..............I am talking the tall antennas with multiple rods

Last edited by otherbruddaDarrell; 12-21-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
Ok it's time to come out of the closet. We use a Winegard MS 2000
Round Omnidirectional Television Antenna.

The Villages Florida

This antenna is smaller than a dish and does not need to be rotated. We receive all major networks in HD much clearer than cable or dish. NBC is not always reliable yet. The photo is not of our TV house but very similar.

We also use a DVR sold by Dish network for OTA signals. No monthly fees like TiVo.

Are we the only ones?
Where (in what part of The Villages) are you located? When we were there in late Feb, I asked the guy in Radio Shack in Wildwood whether an antenna in the attic above the garage would work in the villages. He said no, it would have to be a very large antenna located outside the house. After reading your post, I checked the Wingard website, and it said the MS 2000 antenna's range would be 35-40 miles, and I believe it said no antenna would "reach" to 60 miles.
I would like to know the comparative cost between satellite and Comcast caable. I understand Comcast has a low seasonal rate for snowbirds during their absence. I haven't heard whether either of the satellite companies offer that?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM

We started with Comcast but when they tried to charge $185 for "installation" in a new Villages home instead of the $41 quoted on the phone, we disconnected and have been using amplified rabbit ears (from Radio Shack) ever since. The quality of reception varies quite a bit. Since digital is "all or nothing", antenna placement is quite critical. We only get a dozen channels: CBS (6.x), ABC (9.x), CW (18.x), and whatever seems to be broadcasting through 27.x, 40.x, and 45.x

I talked with a x-Motorola engineer who was quite knowledgeable about antennas and lives locally. The Villages is not a good location for OTA reception but with proper equipment and placement (the higher the better), you should be able to pull in virtually every channel within 60 miles. There are several site on the web that will help you through the process of selecting the right gear. The people with whom I have talked at Radio Shack vary in their opinions from "forget about OTA reception around here" to "with the right antenna ..."

Rabbit ears are OK for now, but we would like to pull in a few more channels (PBS for sure) and not have to fiddle with the rabbit ears all the time. I plan to try the Winegard MS2000 (discovered 10 minutes ago via this thread, thanks Virginians) before exploring more substantial systems. I have looked at satellite systems and there is a package of just local stations (all we want) for about $12/month. That is appealing because of consistently good signal, and the possibility of combining the "satellite box" with a DVR.

As others have noted, the FCC guarantees your right to receive OTA transmissions and FCC Federal Statutes supersede homeowner regulations. I doubt that anyone would complain about a small external antenna (like the Windeard MS2000) but it would be interesting to know if anyone has installed a big outdoor antenna in the Villages. I think that the Antenna Police would try to have it removed, but in the end would have to defer to the FCC statutes.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM

It looks like there are 12 digital channels that might work with the right equipment. They are from 56.4 miles to 59.4 miles from Adriana Villas in Hemingway. And all with a compass heading from 113 Deg. to 116 Deg. I am wondering if a large antenna in the attic with an amplifier will work. Since all stations are the same direction a rotator will not be needed. I might give it a try this fall when I come down. I am in the process of closing on a CYV.
Bob

Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM

There are alot of us here in TV wondering. I'm tired of the rip-offs. The airways should remain free, like before. Cable and satellite interest (profit) have kept developement of inexpensive reception from being developed. The airways were " sold off" by the government. Same for telephone.

Last edited by inda50; 07-18-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Gold member

If you want to put up a big fat over-the-air antenna on your roof in The Villages, the Federal Government says you can and here's the basic rule:

"The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal."

That said, why would you want to since you can receive the same basic local channels in much better quality via cable for about $25/mo.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Default What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
The key phrase in the deed restrictions it "allowed by law". In the late 90's a federal law was passed allowing dishes for personal use as long as they met the size requirements stated in the statute. The dishes used by Directv and Dish Network comply with the statute and as a result must be allowed. The law supersedes any HOA covenants or restrictions.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
+1

Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Question

Who has time to watch TV in TV?

Trudy

Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 PM

remember why you bought in TV in the first place....Was it the look...Everything in its place? Neat and clean? Don't change or there will be cloth lines in the back yard, fences to let the dog yip outside all day, yard barns in every yard, then what will you have left, just another unkept neighborhood...Someday you will want to sell, remember the look you liked , keep it that way for me when I get ready to buy....

Just a thought ^l^

Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Sage

Florida law already allows clotheslines. once again superceding condo/hoa rules

Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Florida law already allows clotheslines. once again superceding condo/hoa rules
Thats just what we need. NIMBY!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.