I live in Collier and at 9:18 some of my breakers turned off.

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krausaj View Post
I live in Fernandina and our breakers were replaced twice. They continued to trip and were again replaced at no charge. The breakers continue to trip-just not as often. I have been told that it is a ham operator and not to use GE bulbs. I have been asked what else did you have on..as if I run around and turn on all the lights, the TV, the oven, the stereo, the vacuum...etc. Yesterday the breaker that controls the opposite side of the house tripped. I had on one light and the iron. ( that will teach me to iron!) I have lived in enough houses to know that this is not normal. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am concerned now that the house is not properly wired. Any calming thoughts???
Remove the arc fault breakers, put 'em in a box so you can reinstall them if you sell the house and install standard breakers. Problem solved, calm enough ? Very easy DIY job, if you're squeamish about electricity just kill the main breaker and get to it.

Last edited by RickeyD; 03-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Krausaj, there are very valid reason for having the AFCI breakers installed. Removing these, MAY impact your insurance coverage if you have a fire, or example. These breakers are designed to detect an ACRING fault from, for example, a pinched cord.
Since you have continuing problems, I would check with my neighbors to see if they are having problems also. If not, I would contact SECO, and see if they can do some testing on your house to verify grounding and electrical connections. I would also, contact the local Ham radio operator club, and see if they could local the local radio operator. A monitor would let you know if the breaker tripping is occurring when he is transmitting.
Finally, if you do an Internet search, you will find lots of other info (and probably misinformation).
Send me a PM, I have some equipment that might help.
I really caution you against removing these breakers and replacing with regular breakers.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Krausaj, there are very valid reason for having the AFCI breakers installed. Removing these, MAY impact your insurance coverage if you have a fire, or example. These breakers are designed to detect an ACRING fault from, for example, a pinched cord.
Since you have continuing problems, I would check with my neighbors to see if they are having problems also. If not, I would contact SECO, and see if they can do some testing on your house to verify grounding and electrical connections. I would also, contact the local Ham radio operator club, and see if they could local the local radio operator. A monitor would let you know if the breaker tripping is occurring when he is transmitting.
Finally, if you do an Internet search, you will find lots of other info (and probably misinformation).
Send me a PM, I have some equipment that might help.
I really caution you against removing these breakers and replacing with regular breakers.

Arc fault is serious overkill and not used in commercial/industrial applications. Just more BS government regs.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 AM

yes ours went off also around 9:18 and we live in Collier. It happened once before prior year.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Did this happen to anyone else?
if someone in the area has a ham radio it will turn off your breakers, call the villages and they will replace your breakers free
Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM

if someone in your area has a ham radio it will trip your breakers, call the villages and they will replace them free
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousuemax View Post
if someone in your area has a ham radio it will trip your breakers, call the villages and they will replace them free
I think mine tripped because a ham radio was in a truck. They broadcasted, mine tripped and they kept going. Otherwise they would be tripping all the time. Don't cha think?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I think mine tripped because a ham radio was in a truck. They broadcasted, mine tripped and they kept going. Otherwise they would be tripping all the time. Don't cha think?
Tomwed,
You may be on to something. I was looking at the Community watch vehicles, but did not see any antennas, not sure if they have hand held radios or if these would cause the problem, but with the random occurrences, a mobile transmitter seems a logical source.

Tags
turned, happen, breakers, collier, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.