I live in Collier and at 9:18 some of my breakers turned off.

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you, Chellybean.

I typed that post before I left this morning. Looking back, I see I sounded kind of grouchy and know-it-all-y. (cringe)

I just hope people try that suggested avenue and get an answer and free replacement. But my tone was a bit obnoxious.

Besides, I don't think the hams really need me to defend their honor.

Anyway, thanks.

Boomer
_ . . ./_ _ _ / _ _ _ /_ _ / . / . _ . //
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 PM

We also live in Collier and have had problems with the breakers. Our electrician also said a radio wave cannot be powerful enough to trip a breaker. Call home warranty, tell them your breakers are tripping. They are aware of the problem - it's a problem with the breakers themselves. My brother also had this problem in Charlotte so it's not just a Collier problem. The electrical company that wired our home was sent out to replace the breakers (eight of ours and our electrician was Pikes). It doesn't matter whom the electrician was either, isn't just a Pikes Electric problem. You do need to call them soon because the warranty dept. isn't going to be doing repairs for much longer at no cost & if you don't report it before they stop it will have to be at your expense. Ours was done about a month ago.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

my breakers also have been tripred and I called home warranty dept, I move into my home in sept 2014 its now 18 mounths old so home war. gave me a ele. co .name galaxy they install my breakers, I called them,they came over and charge me $125 just to throw a breaker, and say nothings wrong
Old 03-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
my breakers also have been tripred and I called home warranty dept, I move into my home in sept 2014 its now 18 mounths old so home war. gave me a ele. co .name galaxy they install my breakers, I called them,they came over and charge me $125 just to throw a breaker, and say nothings wrong
You need to call warranty back. Your electrical system is guaranteed for two years. Make sure you tell warranty they charged you for the service call. Assuming your breakers are tripping multiple times with no overloads, you are covered and you owe them no money and request (demand) a refund.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Sage
Default I live in Collier and at 9:18 some of my breakers turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Fred,
Your EE friend is incorrect. Stray RF can trip some CBs. The model and manufacturer of the problem CBs has been identified and most are having the issue corrected.

HAMs can pop CBs. And don’t assume all HAMs are putting out legal power.
I'm a ham. I have never exceeded FCC approved power on any band I am authorized to use.

I had problems with my breakers before I ever transmitted word one. I paid several hundred dollars to have my home's electrical installer check our home. I've had continuing problems. I can assure you neither hams, nor amateur radio equipment, are the problems in my case. As you have reported, the problem is created by defective breakers which are overly sensitive to certain frequencies. (Just what I have been told by electricians in the know).

Last edited by dbussone; 03-05-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Please do not take up torches and pitchforks and go after the hams.

Fact: Eaton and ARRL worked together to solve the problem. There is an old thread here to that effect. The badly designed breakers should be replaced. The run seems to be in houses built near the same time. Do your homework and follow through for replacement.
Thank you Boomer. Right on!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Sage

I went to a party tonight with about 70 other people from the south end of town. I met someone in my neighborhood that also experienced breakers tripping at the same time last night. I think it's too coincidental to be an appliance cord. You certainly need to consider all the possibilities.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:47 AM
Veteran member

I had one breaker trip yesterday, it was one that had the green "tester" button on it. I thought it was because I plugged my shredder into the same outlet as my computer. Now hearing about everyone else's story, that's probably not the case. I also live in Collier
Old 03-06-2016, 01:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'm a ham. I have never exceeded FCC approved power on any band I am authorized to use.

I had problems with my breakers before I ever transmitted word one. I paid several hundred dollars to have my home's electrical installer check our home. I've had continuing problems. I can assure you neither hams, nor amateur radio equipment, are the problems in my case. As you have reported, the problem is created by defective breakers which are overly sensitive to certain frequencies. (Just what I have been told by electricians in the know).
I commend you for not exceeding legal power but you know some do. I have some personal experience in this area but not going to bore everyone, however I am very familiar with Amateur Extra class. The CBs are overly sensitive to stray RF and I do consider it a manufacturers defect but the fact is the stray RF is coming from Hams, in most cases. No one is calling hams bad people, especially me, but one cannot ignore reality. Eventually this will be a non-issue but in the meantime I chose to not stick my head in the sand and pretend everyone has a bad refrigerator light or dishwasher or garbage disposal or…
Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I commend you for not exceeding legal power but you know some do. I have some personal experience in this area but not going to bore everyone, however I am very familiar with Amateur Extra class. The CBs are overly sensitive to stray RF and I do consider it a manufacturers defect but the fact is the stray RF is coming from Hams, in most cases. No one is calling hams bad people, especially me, but one cannot ignore reality. Eventually this will be a non-issue but in the meantime I chose to not stick my head in the sand and pretend everyone has a bad refrigerator light or dishwasher or garbage disposal or…

Poltergeists?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post

I had my breakers replaced............always surprised at the posts blaming the HAMs out there. Might as well Blame it on the Rain, or Blame it on Rio.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim9368 View Post
Ham radios have been known to trip the GFCI breakers. Happened to several homes in Dunedin. Called home warranty and all were replaced under warranty
Ham radio? Is that what pigs use to communicate? Do they speak in Pig Latin?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Friday night, all of the AFCI breakers in our house tripped, minutes after our guess arrived!! had to find the flashlights to get to the garage to reset the breakers. Will be calling electrician Monday. We live in Pinellas.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Friday night, all of the AFCI breakers in our house tripped, minutes after our guess arrived!! had to find the flashlights to get to the garage to reset the breakers. Will be calling electrician Monday. We live in Pinellas.
was it 9:18pm? that's when mine tripped
Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 AM

Yes several of us on our street had them all replaced by Galaxy at no cost since they were changed no more kicking of the breakers for any of us.
Closed Thread

Tags
turned, happen, breakers, collier, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.