Greenhouse allowed in the covenants?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Default Greenhouse allowed in the covenants?

Greetings All !

My wife and I are giving some thought to moving to the TV community after we retire in a few years. I am an avid grower of cactus, (strictly for my own enjoyment, not commercially), and cactus/cacti grow much better in a greenhouse. So, I would need one in whatever neighborhood we decide on in TV.

The question is, what restrictions are there on stand-alone greenhouses and such? When I called and asked for a copy of the covenants, I was sent a one-page overview that didn't list anything of that nature. The greenhouse would be 8.5ft/8.5ft and 6.5 high. Does anyone else have anything like this? And if so, how difficult was it to be approved?

Thanks for the enjoyable reading on your forum! Keep up the good work.

Lee
Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Founder
Default Re: Greenhouse allowed in the covenants?

Before I left upstate New York, I had a beautiful 24X40 greenhouse. I just loved it. Here in TV, no out buildings are allowed. I am really sorry to say.

JLK
Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Are fenced backyards allowed? If so which areas?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Courtyard Villas are the only residences enclosed with walls.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Can you have any other structures at all say like a gazebo? What about storage sheds? Are garden ornaments okay such as benches or tasteful artifacts?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:26 PM

When in doubt check your covenants and deed restrictions, they vary from village to village. If all all else fails call your VCCDD for info/
Old 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
Can you have any other structures at all say like a gazebo? What about storage sheds? Are garden ornaments okay such as benches or tasteful artifacts?
Gazebos, storage sheds, benches or tasetful artifacts are not permitted in front of the homes in newer sections of the villages. A tiny ceramic rabbit was responsible for my wife getting a "violation" notice. I remember her standing in the doorway laughing her "a**" off when the Village neighborhood truck driver handed her the ticket.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Over two years ago, my wife and I visited The Villages and although we loved the homes, we were a bit squeamish about the covenants. Upon returning a few more times and understanding the reasons behind the covenants, we became avid advocates of such rulings.
One only needs to drive through the villages to get the feel of conformity. Some would call it a term we used to use on planning commissions and ZBA's back home, called "sameness". Drive through a senior community not related to the villages nor its immediate neighbors and view the lawn trinkets, spinning tincan wind thingies, the ceramic set of snow white and the seven dwarfs starring at the roadside and multiply this by the number of homes we have here. I mean no offense to some of these ornaments, however one persons taste may not comply with the neighbors taste. Therefore in our instance the term "sameness" is a virtue.
Not allowing fences, out buildings, greenhouses, sometimes is a hard pill to swallow and leave back home, however I praise the management of our villages for what they have accomplished with these covenants.
I'm extremely in favor or the way most villagers have expressed themselves and their individuality by using mother natures beauty to enhance their properties. Using trees and plants and flowers brings us all together in a mutually pleasing theme.I know it hurts to leave our barns and outdoor "stuff" at home, but after all were here to enjoy ourselves and not "rebuild an empire"
Handieman
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Over two years ago, my wife and I visited The Villages and although we loved the homes, we were a bit squeamish about the covenants. Upon returning a few more times and understanding the reasons behind the covenants, we became avid advocates of such rulings.
One only needs to drive through the villages to get the feel of conformity. Some would call it a term we used to use on planning commissions and ZBA's back home, called "sameness". Drive through a senior community not related to the villages nor its immediate neighbors and view the lawn trinkets, spinning tincan wind thingies, the ceramic set of snow white and the seven dwarfs starring at the roadside and multiply this by the number of homes we have here. I mean no offense to some of these ornaments, however one persons taste may not comply with the neighbors taste. Therefore in our instance the term "sameness" is a virtue.
Not allowing fences, out buildings, greenhouses, sometimes is a hard pill to swallow and leave back home, however I praise the management of our villages for what they have accomplished with these covenants.
I'm extremely in favor or the way most villagers have expressed themselves and their individuality by using mother natures beauty to enhance their properties. Using trees and plants and flowers brings us all together in a mutually pleasing theme.I know it hurts to leave our barns and outdoor "stuff" at home, but after all were here to enjoy ourselves and not "rebuild an empire"
Handieman

You hit the nail on the head and couldn't have said it better. Totally agree!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Handieman!

BRAVO!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

I totally understand the concept. We now live in a country club golf course community and have strict rules! All our mailboxes are the same, we can't have black tar for driveways, just cement. No sheds but I do have a lovely gazebo. We had to submit the plans to the modifications committee and because it enhances the property, it was approved. Same with the patio we put in, it needed approval.

When I say lawn artifacts, I'm not referring to the plastic things, I have a $500 bird bath that is ornamental; a very expensive bench that I have on my walkway. These are the things I would love to take with me.

I am in total agreement on the "tacky" things people put out - I don't like it at all.

So, I guess I'm understanding that I can take my stuff but it needs to go out back.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM

It can be done with architectural committee approval... AND it must be attached to you home.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.