I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2021, 06:02 PM
Default I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees

As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Well you're mighty good at making "what ifs" into will be". Not sure what you guess will actually happen though since there is a guaranteed population of 100k+ to tap for future businesses.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,072 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.
One sided talking points taken from the Daily Sun.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I noticed that also.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Well you're mighty good at making "what ifs" into will be". Not sure what you guess will actually happen though since there is a guaranteed population of 100k+ to tap for future businesses.
The population is only relevant when the business's are competitive.....impact fees will be reflected in the prices we pay and TV residents aren't receptive to higher prices. States all over the Country are trying to attract businesses by reducing the costs through reduced tax packages to make it desirable for businesses to move there. It's not a new concept. This was a point made during the election but it fell on deaf ears. We are now going to experience reality. What I always find fascinating is we have the ability to simply move if the impact fees negatively impact us, business will need to close or lay off or not come here if they negatively impact them. Is it worth the gamble to save a few hundred bucks a year?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
They weren't talking points, they were comments made by the business community. Do you think the CEO of UF Health wasn't serious? They have two medical facilities here that won't be impacted......and his point was why build a third if the economics don't work. The other businesses also stated they would be hurt if development is slowed.....which comes under the "stating the obvious" heading. I suspect that when the emotions are removed, the County will do what is necessary to attract business and opportunity, provide an environment for those that are here to grow and make decisions that improve the quality of life for all Sumter County. It is their risk to take.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-14-2021, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
impact fees will be reflected in the prices we pay and TV residents aren't receptive to higher prices.
News Flash: TV residents with homes in Sumter county are already paying over half of the impact fees, thanks to the 25% tax increase. If the impact cost of new development can’t be passed along to those creating said costs, or their customers, than such development is not economical. I am extremely pro business, as long as the business is sustainable without being subsidized on the backs of taxpayers.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I noticed that also.
me to
Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I suspect that when the emotions are removed, the County will do what is necessary to attract business and opportunity, provide an environment for those that are here to grow and make decisions that improve the quality of life for all Sumter County.
Please explain how someone living in the greater Spanish Springs area, who’s property taxes are subsiding the costs created by development happening south of 44, are having their quality of life improved???
Old 01-15-2021, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Let’s all keep paying for the south of 44 development. The new commissioners were elected in part based on this issue. Perhaps the proposed impact fee increase is too high but an increase is needed.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

How big are the impact fees that would keep UF Health from opening a third facility here? They stand to make millions off The Villages. I can't believe that some fees will keep them from coming. And its ridiculous to expect existing residents to fund infrastructure for future residents. In any other planned community, the developer would pay for the infrastructure, and recoup his $$ upon sale of the new homes. This is just another way for the Villages Developer to make even more of a profit, off the backs of existing residents.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:55 AM

Miller and Search’s platform they run on was about not raising taxes like the previous commissioners? Is this another bate and switch?
Old 01-15-2021, 06:11 AM
Email Reported As Spam

A not for profit hospital will not pay property taxes
Old 01-15-2021, 06:39 AM

Historically impact fees have never slowed things down in Florida the builder may have to take a little less profit. Oh My!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Why doesn't Sumter issue bonds to pay for the road costs that will be paid for by the increase property taxes on the new future homes?
Closed Thread

Tags
county, sumter, fees, impact, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.