I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2021, 06:43 AM
Default Raising taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale2 View Post
A not for profit hospital will not pay property taxes
There’s that old belief that The Villages makes money off the hospital.
The Villages Hospital has always been a not for profit institution. It is the largest Medicare payer facility in the country. Could you survive on Medicare pay rates? This is why volunteers and donors are so import to it’s ability to survive. They merged with Leesburg to share services. Leesburg has open heart surgery, The Villages has orthopedic joint replacement and rehab. The merge with UF Shands is a mutual benefit for all 3.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Hilarious .

That impact fees have much if anything to do with New businesses . A hospital as example may have $5 million in impact fees but it's a $599 million a year business . Each year.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

And even a developer knows they just add to the rent . See how high villages rents are???
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.
The principle business impacted by these fees is the Villages developer. The impact fees in Sumter county are substantially lower than surrounding counties. The resent 25% tax increase was due to these low impact fees and the fact that the county is building roads for the developers new construction south of the turnpike. All the opposition to the increase in impact fees is coming from the Villages developer (aka, the daily sun). Do not be fooled by the rhetoric.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 AM

Put a screw to both those guys. They have been exposed for their civic dishonesty as they have in the past and continue to this day to support the builder at the expense of the taxpayers. These guys are in the process of being fired by the electorate and are attempting to pick their pockets one last time.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Please explain how someone living in the greater Spanish Springs area, who’s property taxes are subsiding the costs created by development happening south of 44, are having their quality of life improved???
Correct me if I'm wrong prior to the recent 25 percent increase when was the last PT increase in sumter county? 10-15 years ago?. The issue is everyone saw 25 percent which sent everyone shorts in a bunch. If the PT had increased incrementally over that time we would have a lot less outrage and had better infrastructure. Part of the issue is most everyone s primary income Soc Sec has been creeping up (.9 percent for 2021)while our Legislative branch just voted themselves a +10 percent pay increase.
Combine that fact with pending tax increases. Something to chew on for breakfast.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Well you're mighty good at making "what ifs" into will be". Not sure what you guess will actually happen though since there is a guaranteed population of 100k+ to tap for future businesses.
If history has taught us anything, increasing the cost of doing business in an area has always resulted in less business.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 AM

This is not a small increase in impact fees, it is an increase of 100 to 150%. If you think that will not have an impact on businesses and long term revenue for the county you don’t understand basic economics. If the rate is raised by that percentage commercial development will slow dramatically, the number of homes being built will slow.

So you say that’s great we don’t need anymore homes or businesses. But what you don’t calculate is the unemployment increases and costs of social services increases. Revenues for the county actually fall and guess where the county will look to make up the revenue? All those homeowners in Sumter county. The economy here is heavily dependent on the developer and you can hate them. But you increase the impact fee by this magnitude and you are jeopardizing everything we have here.

For those that say I live near Spanish Springs and will never use anything south of 44. If there is a world class research hospital and you or your spouse need that care, you won’t use it? People north of 44 are already using the amenities south of 44 and with the turnpike bridge almost complete I would bet a lot more people north of 44 will be coming down to use the amenities.

Can the impact fee be increased by some amount? Probably so, but there needs to be significant study of the issue to determine the impact, which I hope they do over the next 6 months.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmartin View Post
Miller and Search’s platform they run on was about not raising taxes like the previous commissioners? Is this another bate and switch?
Commissioners Miller and Search were elected to reduce taxes not raise them. Their campaign was based on reversing/reducing the 25% increase in property tax. My 2020 property tax, paid last November, had a reduction of $1.78.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.
What is the purpose of growth if it is not self-funded? Our massive property tax increase is a perfect example why all growth is not good growth. No company run by any competent person would plan an expansion where the new revenue was not enough cover the cost of expansion. It would seem our County would benefit from the same logic.

We constantly hear from politicians about the need to expand the tax base. What's the purpose of that if new expenses eat up that expanded tax base? New roads, new water works, new sewers, new schools, more police all eat into that expanded tax base. Unless growth can actually maintain or reduce taxes paid by existing residents, it should not be pursued.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:24 AM

Yes this is my concern. Additionally the Pandemic has caused harm to retail and restaurants in our community. I don’t think this year is the time to consider a large increase that will directly and negatively impact them.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmartin View Post
Miller and Search’s platform they run on was about not raising taxes like the previous commissioners? Is this another bate and switch?
This would actually lower your taxes and raise your home value while raising costs for the developers. They need to do that but how much remains the question.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:38 AM
Default Impact Fees (taxes)

Quote:
Impact fees are taxes. They are taxes imposed on the beneficiaries of new development that create the need for new facilities, roads, schools, utilities, police, fire, etc. They are intended to cover the additional expense of providing these new services while the property taxes levied on the new property will cover the ongoing maintenance of those new services.

The simple question is and always has been - who should pay the cost of necessary new traffic signals, roads, schools, etc., the current property owners or those who benefit from selling or developing the property generating the need for new services.

Taxes will always be an issue but who pays these impact fees is relatively easy - those who benefit from the new homes or business sales that create the IMPACT on our local communities. Is that too much to ask of these developers.

Those costs are often estimated by the developer which can sometimes be unfair. So, yes Impact fees are necessary and should be estimated to the best that they can be. They should be fair. They should be paid by the developer of the new homes or businesses. Keep in mind it is the consumer and taxpayer that pay all bills. Companies pass on their cost to the consumer and government just taxes us to pay their bills.

So, in the end we all pay. Should we also pay for the profits of development and developers? I don't think so. My two cents.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Default Rural roads are terrible

As a cyclist, I frequently ride on the roads west of TV. They are absolutely abysmal and in great need of paving. Go for a ride west of 301 sometime to see for yourself.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:50 AM

I hear a lot of comments on the developer and now hospital and how they are ‘rich enough’ to pay. Remember this also affects small businesses coming in. I tiered increase may be in line but always keep in mind Sumter county is not just the villages. But all I hear is development south of 44. These three commissioners voted in based on looking at entire county.
All we can hope is that the commissioners discuss and listen to all interested parties and not just homeowners. If this job is new take the time to know how your decisions will impact everyone. Lot’s of other places businesses can go in Florida.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, sumter, fees, impact, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.